Toddlers & Preschoolers

PEEK05
Dot Art: Itsy-Bitsy Spider
by PEEK05
October 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM

This week’s art project I tried something new with my daughter.  Dad took her to the dollar store and bought her every single color out of the selection of bingo daubers the store had.  At first I was going to show her how you can make pictures daubing dots into things like flowers and the sun.  However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized I wanted to do something MORE.  Something special.

Since Halloween is coming up and she likes all of the creepy/cute stuff, I decided to make a spider out of the dots.  Once I had the thought of spider in my head, I quickly thought up a whole scene for the spider and came up with drawing the outline of a scene that portrayed the Itsy-Bitsy Spider nursery rhyme.

To start off, I let her watch me draw the outline of the scene and had her guess what I was drawing.  First she started naming the objects that I was drawing until she realized that the objects were a part of something whole – a scene.  Her first guess was correct.  It indeed is the scene to the Itsy-Bitsy Spider.

Next I explained to her that she needed to put the dots INSIDE of the lines so that the picture didn’t get ruined.  She liked to put dots ON the lines too.  It is her art project, so I let her do it.  It is how she envisioned it to look. She went a little crazy on the spider.  If you see the picture of her in the middle of putting the dots in the cloud, you can see my original spider and then compare it to the finished product after she put all the black dots on the spider.

This is a super cheap art project to do.  If you have more artistic ability than I can, you can come up with some awesome scenes from any nursery rhymes or stories!  Enjoy!

http://www.homelearningjourney.com/dot-art-itsy-bitsy-spider/

Replies

• Gweneveer
    October 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    Cute!
  • corrinacs
    October 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Aww, that's awesome :) :)

• sophiesmom07
    October 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Cute!

• .Angelica.
    October 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

cute.

• preacherskid
    October 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    You can expand this into older ages that use glue by using a large or small hole punch to make the dots, then have them fill in the picture, or for a pre teen age you can have them draw pictures around the dots after gluing them to the paper.
  • PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    October 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Those are all great ideas. :)

Quoting preacherskid:

You can expand this into older ages that use glue by using a large or small hole punch to make the dots, then have them fill in the picture, or for a pre teen age you can have them draw pictures around the dots after gluing them to the paper.

Toddlers & Preschoolers