Toddlers & Preschoolers

FebPenguins
Your child's teacher and Facebook
October 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Are you friends on FB with your childs teacher? Do you expect to be? Does it matter what age your child is? ie: I'll be friends with childs teacher until she is in grade X. I have a kindergardener, and thought contact with the teacher would be pretty easy thru FB. Should I be 'bothering' her through there, or should I be using the email address she provided at the beginning of the school year?

Are you FB friends with your child's teacher?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 14% - Yes
  2. 75% - No
  3. 9% - Other

Replies

• Legalboxer
    October 3, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I friend my son's teachers who send me friend request - right now it only has been the teacher he had his first 7 months of life and his toddler room teacher - i have no concerns over my personal life since most of what I post is about my son anyway - and i appreciate the investment the teachers at his daycare center have in him... but i dont use facebook as a way to communicate with the teachers.. 

• MommyBoha
    October 3, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    Im very close to my kids K teachers. They are now in 4th and 1st grade( they had the same teacher for K) Im friends with them on FB, we text, and even hang out. They arent just my kids former teachers, they are my friends. I havent gotten as close to any other of their teachers like that and I wont, but I just hit it off very well with the K teachers.
  • spooky415
    October 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    I wouldn't do it. That's their personal life. Unless they recommend it for contacting them, I wouldn't do it.
  • avpriddis
    October 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Mixed feelings on this. My husband is a teacher, and he has "friended" some of this students parents. I don't know who sent the requests, but they're friends on fb. Some of the parents would turn to my husband to help their kids as a role model when the kid wasn't listening to their parents. One of his kids committed suicide after graduation, and he was able to be a support to the parents through facebook.

One of the parents just friended me though, and I didn't even know who she was, lol. She's been really nice, but it was kind of awkward when I asked her if we knew each other, and she said no, but that my hubs is her daughters teacher.

Me personally, unless I was friends with them outside of fb as well, I wouldn't friend my kids teachers.

• mommaFruFru
    October 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    I am friends, but I do not talk with her about school stuff. I'm also the PTO president at the school, sooo I'm friends with all the teachers/staff.

For school related issues, use her professional email.
  • manda-nicole010
    October 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM

The e-mail from the beginning of the year

• jiffypop2207
    October 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Quoting beco8627:

I have liked my child's school on FB, simply for the updates...but I would never be friends with any of the faculty.

• piwife
    by piwife
    October 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    My dd teacher has a fb but I don't have him as a friend. If I need to contact him I send a note or email him
  • blondepegasus
    October 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I am FB friends with not only my son's teacher, but also his personal aide and some of the other faculty members (who I knew and was friends with before my son even started school). My son is disabled and has a personal aide. She and the teacher not only contact me thru FB regularly, they also text me on my cell quite often. Just yesterday the teacher texted me a pic of my son doing finger painting, warning me he might come home with paint under his fingernails. I see nothing wrong with it since we are all middle-aged adults who don't do or say anything inappropriate on FB. BTW, they both friended me, not the other way around.

• Lovingmomfarm
    October 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

As a teacher myself I am friends with past a lot of the teachers at her school.  It is a great way to get lesson ideas and such.  There is one I am not friends with, on fb, that she had last year.  It was a tough year for my daughter and I did not care for that teacher.  

Toddlers & Preschoolers