Toddlers & Preschoolers

FebPenguins
Your child's teacher and Facebook
October 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Are you friends on FB with your childs teacher? Do you expect to be? Does it matter what age your child is? ie: I'll be friends with childs teacher until she is in grade X. I have a kindergardener, and thought contact with the teacher would be pretty easy thru FB. Should I be 'bothering' her through there, or should I be using the email address she provided at the beginning of the school year?

Are you FB friends with your child's teacher?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 14% - Yes
  2. 75% - No
  3. 9% - Other

Replies

• stormystar15
    October 3, 2012 at 2:16 AM
    I am not fb friends with my ds' teacher. maybe when hes out of her class but not while he's in it. I dont want to know her personal life.
  • ragitty
    by ragitty
    October 3, 2012 at 2:31 AM

No I don't want to know what ds's teachers do on their own time. It is their personal lives and I would rather not discover his teachers like to party hard (though I doubt it) or that they had a bad day at work or whatever else they post on fb. I would rather communicate with them through email because that is more of a professional manner of doing things, and it allows them to separate their work lives from their personal lives.

If you have a close relationship with your child's teacher that's one thing, but if not, I think it is fairest to them that you stick with the email they provided you. If they aren't responding to your emails, talk to them and maybe together you could work out a more effective method of communication.

• hollydaze1974
    October 3, 2012 at 4:07 AM
    The email address is sufficient. That's why she provided it. Some teachers have a specific fb page for students/parents, but for the most part, fb is for FRIENDS,not parents. Heaven forbid she posts a vent about her crappy day at work and how many parents would be pissed off over her right to a "bad class day"
    She also deserves the privacy of posting pic of her and friends having a drink without a parent going to the principal, and it is none of your business about her sister's (or even her upcoming wedding) Her family life is not a parent's business.

What IS a parent's busy is strictly related to the child and his/her progress, behavior, and social issues. All of that is what the email is for.
  • TTC2Long
    October 3, 2012 at 4:22 AM
    No. Teachers are people, too, and need time to just be people! If I were a teacher, no WAY would I friend request or accept a parents request unless the kid was no longer my student and I had struck up a personal friendship with the parent that I would want to maintain even if fb didn't exist. But never would I be friends with a current student or their parents. Many districts have policies against that, anyway. I would also take issue with a parent who tried to contact me about school stuff through fb, especially when official school email is available. To me, that would be an invasion of privacy, akin to a parent stopping by my house to talk about their student.
  • 3gr8tKids
    October 3, 2012 at 4:51 AM
    seems very unprofessional to be reaching out to a students teacher anyway other than a call to school or her professional email address.

LOL I cringe at the thought of clients trying to communicate via a social network such as FB on a regular basis.
  • tel4him
    by tel4him
    October 3, 2012 at 6:34 AM

No. I wouldn't want to be. To me, that is their private life and I'm part of their professional life.  The 2 should be separate. 

• mypbandj
    Jen
    October 3, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    I am friends with some of my kids past teachers. But that's b/c I genuinely like them as friends - we were at a small private school.
  • AnGLInterrupted
    October 3, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Personally I don't feel it's appropriate.  I think the relationship should be teacher/parent and only that.  Unless of course you've known him/her for years and he/she just happens to teach at your child's school.

That's JMO though.

• teri4lance
    October 3, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    No you shouldnt be bothering her there. The school has an email system they can access at home.
  • Basherte
    October 3, 2012 at 7:13 AM

I would use the email address that she provided for you at the beginning of the school year. A lot of people that I know use FB for personal stuff, and would find it offensive to have work related stuff on there. 

I would not friend my child's teacher on FB at any age. My son's teacher and I have a way to contact each other if need be. So, I wouldn't invade her fb page. And I would expect her to not invade mine. As I am not normally on fb anyway

Toddlers & Preschoolers