Toddlers & Preschoolers

FebPenguins
Your child's teacher and Facebook
October 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Are you friends on FB with your childs teacher? Do you expect to be? Does it matter what age your child is? ie: I'll be friends with childs teacher until she is in grade X. I have a kindergardener, and thought contact with the teacher would be pretty easy thru FB. Should I be 'bothering' her through there, or should I be using the email address she provided at the beginning of the school year?

Are you FB friends with your child's teacher?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 14% - Yes
  2. 75% - No
  3. 9% - Other

Replies

• buffyclaire
    October 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Some of my kids teachers are my FB friends, but I never use FB as a way to communicate about school issues or things going on with the kids. For that, I would call the teacher or email her school account. I think it helps to see the teacher as people who have a life outside of school, and maybe helps the teacher stay up to date on the students home lives. We comment on each other's status updates and things. When my child is out of their class, they might send a message asking how they are in their new class, and I respond with something short and sweet. I also make a point to comment publicly about what a great teacher she is, or when I say something positive about my kids, I might include how  the teacher's influence has been a big help. 

• preplovesyou
    October 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

No way! Everyone needs their "privacy."

• prettymomma1204
    October 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

email

• Lunarprancer
    October 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    No, that's weird unless I were to know the person otherwise.
  • Kris_PBG
    October 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM

No - please do not contact your child's teacher about school realted issues through FB.  That is beyond pushing boundaries unless a pre-existing friendship was already there and in place where this was acceptable.

Use the school email address - that is what it is for.

I would be SHOCKED if a parent tried to contact me through FB.

Toddlers & Preschoolers