Toddlers & Preschoolers

FebPenguins
Your child's teacher and Facebook
October 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Are you friends on FB with your childs teacher? Do you expect to be? Does it matter what age your child is? ie: I'll be friends with childs teacher until she is in grade X. I have a kindergardener, and thought contact with the teacher would be pretty easy thru FB. Should I be 'bothering' her through there, or should I be using the email address she provided at the beginning of the school year?

Are you FB friends with your child's teacher?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 14% - Yes
  2. 75% - No
  3. 9% - Other

Replies

• momofkandb
    October 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

As a teacher, I do not friend my students or their parents.  The only exception that I have to this rule is people I was friends with BEFORE I was their child's teacher.  Please don't put that kind of awkwardness between you and the teacher.  My FB page is for my friends and family, I don't want to be friends outside of school.  That is my personal area, I like to keep it that way.

• Gwendlite
    October 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I don't use Facebook.

• qqhotplay
    October 4, 2012 at 1:20 AM

DONT DO IT. YOU DONT NEED TO BE IN THEIR PERSONAL LIFE.

• CrystalDawn2506
    October 4, 2012 at 3:25 AM

No. I rather not have a teacher pry into my life no more then they already have to.

• vamaria
    by vamaria
    October 4, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    I am FB friends with some of my former HS teachers, just to keep in touch, and some of my former students, but no, I would not recommend friending the teacher. She needs her space, too. I value the continued contact, but there definitely needs to be a separation while she is teaching. Maybe friend her after the year ends, if all goes well.
  • workoutmom2b1g
    October 4, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    No. FB is her personal webpage in my opinion. It would be weird to me.
  • Christine0813
    October 4, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Agree.

Quoting mamamedic69:

I would not be friends on FB. You want to keep the relationship separate from the rest of your life. I would just use the email she provided. I guess I would worry if you posted something or someone posted something on your wall that the teacher found "offensive" or "questionable" on how you're raising your child. You never know what people will think.

That's just my opinion

• karamille
    October 4, 2012 at 7:41 AM

No.  Because then I couldnt openly discuss issues I may be having with the school/teacher with my other FB friends who are moms with a wealth of knowledge

• moms2fast73
    October 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I clicked 'other' because out of my 4 kids I'm only friends with one of their teachers on Facebook. 

• aj_mom
    by aj_mom
    October 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I would say yes I would to my son's current teacher but that is because her son and my son are in scouts together and we see each out outside of school.

Toddlers & Preschoolers