Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
echojnicki
Tiny Toddler Won't Eat/Gain Weight!
April 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

My baby is 14 months.  She weighs 15 lbs 10 ounces... very very small!  She is growing length wise but has put on little/no weight in the passed 6 monthes.  We have done blood work, I have even taken her to a feeding team at a children's hospital.... all of which came up with nothing being biologically wrong with her.  The feeding team gave me advise like putting ketchup and maple syrup on everything, which worked for like 3 days untill the novelty wore off, and now I am back to square one.  She is meeting all of her mile stones, and exceeding them in many areas!  She is just tiny, and doesn't want to eat consistantly.  I am trying to make all her food very rich (using oil, heavy cream, butter etc).... but it just feels like something is just not right.  I am still nurising, which the dr. told me to start weaning her, but the nutricionist told me not to.  I'm scared to stop because this is a major part of her caloric intake.  I have tried pediasure... she just won't eat/drink anything in large quantities.  She is energetic though... not lethargic at all!  The other issue is her blood iron is low (10.4 when it should be a min. of 11) despite the fact that I give her a supplement with iron it.  On top of it, the iron is staining her teeth!  HELP!  She is pretty much labled failure to thrive, but only in the sense of her weight, NOT her mental development.  Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Replies

• 5BMom
    by 5BMom
    April 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    I could have written your post. My DD is now 3 and 23 pounds, lol... Every test has been done... Nothing is wrong. She is petite. Period. I have had to learn, with the support of a fabulous pediatrician, to let it go. She eats when she is hungry and I give her the highest caloric impact I can when she does eat, she is healthy, and super smart. She is already reading!!!!

There comes a time you have to say it is what it is.
  • STKsMomma
    April 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Was she a premie? How big was she when born?
  • 5BMom
    by 5BMom
    April 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    She was 5.2 pounds and 15.5 inches at 39 weeks.

Quoting STKsMomma:

Was she a premie? How big was she when born?

• erinsmom1964
    April 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

My DD just FINALLY broke 30 pounds at 3 BUT she is just over 42 inches tall.  She has always been low weight for her height.  We struggled not to get the FTT label when she was an infant.  I agree with this Mom( we formula feed until almost 18 months ourselves toddler formula) and look into seeing if you can get her to eat high iron things.  raisins...spinach..cream of wheat....etc 

The are two different types of digestible iron in food: 
    1.  hemo iron, found in red meat seafood and poultry, and 
    2.  non-hemo iron found in breads, fruits, breakfast cereals, vegetable, legumes (e. g. baked beans), nuts and eggs. Iron Rich Foods, Foods Rich in Iron and high Iron Foods with foods with iron.

Hemo iron foods are rich in iron and contain iron in a form that is easily absorbed by the body. Red meat also has a special effect on iron absorption. Red meat, when eaten together with the vegetables, can boost the absorption of non-hemo iron by up to 400%. Vitamin C has a similar positive effect on the absorption of iron.

In other words, the key to a healthy iron rich diet is to eat a combination of iron rich foods, high in both hemo and non-hemo iron.

Some Good Sources Foods Rich in Iron* (Dietary Iron) are:

List of Grains Rich in Iron:                  Iron (mg.)
    Brown rice, 1 cup cooked0.8
    Whole wheat bread, 1 slice0.9
    Wheat germ, 2 tablespoons1.1
    English Muffin, 1 plain1.4
    Oatmeal, 1 cup cooked1.6
    Total cereal, 1 ounce18.0
    Cream of Wheat, 1 cup10.0
    Pita, whole wheat, 1 slice/piece, 6 ½ inch     1.9
    Spaghetti, enriched, 1 cup, cooked2.0
    Raisin bran cereal, 1 cup6.3

List of Iron Rich Legumes, Seeds, and Soy: 
    Sunflower seeds, 1 ounce1.4
    Soy milk, 1 cup1.4
    Kidney beans, ½ cup canned1.6
    Chickpeas, ½ cup, canned1.6
    Tofu, firm, ½ cup1.8
    Soy burger, 1 average1.8 to 3.9*

List of Vegetables Rich in Iron:
    Broccoli, ½ cup, boiled0.7
    Green beans, ½ cup, boiled0.8
    Lima beans, baby, frozen, ½ cup, boiled   1.8
    Beets, 1 cup1.8
    Peas, ½ cup frozen, boiled1.3
    Potato, fresh baked, cooked w/skin on4.0
    Vegetables, green leafy, ½ cup2.0
    Watermelon, 6 inch x ½ inch slice3.0

A Sample List of Foods Rich in Iron:

Blackstrap Molasses, one tablespoon3.0
    Dates or Prunes, ½ cup2.4
    Beef, Pork, Lamb, three ounces2.3 to 3.0
    Liver (beef, chicken), three ounces8.0 to 25.0
    Clams, Oysters ¾ cup3.0
    Dark meat Turkey ¾ cup2.6
    Pizza, cheese or pepperoni, ½ of 10 inch pie4.5 to 5.5

Varies with brand. Check the iron content on the label. 
    ** Pregnant women should not eat liver because of its very high Vitamin 
        A content. Large amounts of Vitamin A can be harmful to the baby

Quoting 5BMom:

I could have written your post. My DD is now 3 and 23 pounds, lol... Every test has been done... Nothing is wrong. She is petite. Period. I have had to learn, with the support of a fabulous pediatrician, to let it go. She eats when she is hungry and I give her the highest caloric impact I can when she does eat, she is healthy, and super smart. She is already reading!!!!

There comes a time you have to say it is what it is.

• erinsmom1964
    April 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Total cerals come in all kinds of flavors now. We always LOVED total Raisin Bran  We used to eat Multigrain cheerios as it USED to have 100% of about 10 or 11 things but they without warning dropped their fortification but not the higher price.  :(

• bunnywzrd
    April 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Both of my daughters are small. Miya is 5 and weighs 30 lbs. Serena is 9 and weighs 47 lbs. I would think that as long as she eats and has energy and is able to potty I wouldn't worry about her. My oldest still doesn't eat well. She never has. Half a dozen bites of something and she is done. I just make sure I have good snacks for them and food that can be left out a while so they can graze on it.

• AbqAnodyne
    April 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Aye! Weight gain has forever been a pain in my side. Our first son was a premie and we were always preparing for the dreaded weigh in. Our second son was not a premie but ended up being even slower to gain than my first. Now, at 5 y/o next week my oldest is 95th percentile for height and weight. He had a sudden spurt between 3 and 4. I'm not saying this is what will happen for you -- just that each kid grows according THEIR own schedule. The charts and docs are not always right. If your gut tells you that they are fine then don't worry because some chart says you should. If your gut is nagging then I'd continue to investigate...
  • echojnicki
    April 28, 2012 at 6:07 PM

She was normal.... 7 lbs 6 ounces at birth... full term.

• echojnicki
    April 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM

As far as the iron... it's hard to get ANY kind of food into her... she particularly doesn't like to eat meat.  She loves yogurt... but I have read that dairy can actually prevent the absorption of iron.  It's refreshing to know that I am not alone in this, and perhaps I just need to relax and see what happens, but I am a firm believer that food (quality and quantity)  plays an integral part of a person's wellbeing.  I am praying that she gets over this sometime soon.  

• echojnicki
    April 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Do you think that by continuing to nurse her, it might be hindering her appetite for solid food?

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts