Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Samsmom273
Does your child REALLY need preschool?
July 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I can't afford to put my daughter in preschool and I can't ask family members for money.I have been trying to work with her on my own and she interacts with children her age too.She is very social with them and plays well.If I can't afford to send her to preschool is that bad?? She will start school  the following sept and they have a summer preschool program I was going to put her in right before school. I'm just really worried that if I don't put her in some kind of program now she will be behind when she starts kindergarden. What should I do??

Replies

• millasmum
    July 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I don't think children need preschool, or it would be required. You could check out Headstart in your area if you are really worried, they go by income and help people financially.

• lanceandhailey
    July 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

They learn a lot in our public preschool, and I couldn't imagine them going through the public Kindergarten our son did last year without it...Everywhere is different though.

• violetgirl
    July 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Preschool really isn't required.  If you're worried about how your daughter will do in kindergarden, maybe you can talk to a kindergarden teacher or find out what the requirements are so you can prepare her.  My son is 3, and I'm still debating whether to send him to the 4-year-old class next year or not.

• lfrrll5
    by lfrrll5
    July 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    they dont need to but if they dont go its a good idea to encourage learning at home
  • HeatherSumowski
    July 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

To each their own when it comes to preschool.  Personally I couldn't imagine not having my DD in preschool.  My SS went through headstart and it was OK.  My DD has gone to KinderCare and I have LOVED it.  She is 3 1/2 now and her vocabulary is fantastic, her social skills are excellent, she has problem solving skills, and she is starting to read.  She also knows all of her colors, animals, shapes, numbers, and can count to 30 in both english and spanish.  I couldn't imagine not having her in Kindercare but it is super expensive.  We have given up a lot to put her in there. 

• aviatioNation
    July 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Pre-school is nothing more than glorified daycare.

• sweetmissy_05
    July 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM

It is good for kids to be social with other children and preschool does help a lot...my 3 year old is in early intervention preschool because of her special needs and it helps so much.  We are screening my 2 year old right now too to see if she qualifies and once she turns 3 she will be in the same preschool classroom....but we have a Headstart teachoer come out once a week for my 3 year old and she's a great help too...my kids need to be around other kids because of their special needs.

• dqsmami06
    July 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    Its not required, I was taking my son to preschool and it was putting us in a hole cus it got expensive, plus gas to get there, not only that the one he was going to was awful, they watched tv all the time and my son kept coming back with a soggy pull up (he wasn't potty trained fully) and he had food all over his hands and face they never bothered to clean him. So we pulled him out. He's learning more at home.
  • ok-momma
    July 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

My four year old was born the end of October and could not start in school. I was a little upset at first but didn't let it bother me because she has older sibling that taught her every thing she needs to know!

• 2boysmommy.js
    July 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    no. They dont need pre_k.... The only reason i insist apon it for my boys is they have speech issues....

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts