Toddlers & Preschoolers

momtrain
What age did your LO start preschool?
June 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM

We are debating when to start DD in school. She just turned 2.

When did you start and how often did they go? How many hours a day?

Replies

• DACIA79
    by DACIA79
    June 22, 2011 at 6:07 AM

My youngest started at 2 the preschool did the potty training . We chose Montessori he loved it.

• nf1
    by nf1
    June 22, 2011 at 6:37 AM

at 3.

• KelliansMom
    June 22, 2011 at 6:50 AM

we started a parents morning out programe last fall so just before age two :) it was set up just like a preschool and next year my son will be in the preschool class at the same place(ymca) 

• Kris_PBG
    June 22, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Where my child goes, they offer daycare from 1-2 years of age, then it is more "preschool" from 2 -4.

He started there at 18 months.

• .Angelica.
    June 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

not doing preschool so here's a bump

• SoniaL
    by SoniaL
    June 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

An hour a day is plenty for a 2 year old. (when you say "She just turned 2 and really wants the socialization and stimulation from a classroom setting" - did she inform you of this? How?) They can learn just as much in their daily lives as in any classroom.  I am just now reading  abook that is talking about how marketing and big companies have convinced parents if their kids aren't in classes constantly from birth then they somehow will be behind and there is not one shred of evidence to back it up.

I personally do not send my kids to preschool. But if I did it would be for ONE year only, the year before kindergarten. i would never sned a 2 year old to preschool.

• our3
    by our3
    June 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM

My DS starts this fall he is 4, my oldest was 4 also. I dont feel anything under 4 is necessary. As it is the kids will be in school for a min of 13 years when starting preschool at 4, and I just dont see why someoone would want to take away the couple years a kid has to actually be a kid without the stresses of school.

• sugareemommee
    June 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I agree with all you said, especially that in red.  my son is 4 and he will not be attending preschool, he's already way ahead of the kids who are in school, full time.. and if it's a shock for him to go to Kindergarten 5 days a week, guess what.. he'll get used to it gradually.  I did it, his daddy did it, his aunts and uncles did it. 

Quoting SoniaL:

An hour a day is plenty for a 2 year old. (when you say "She just turned 2 and really wants the socialization and stimulation from a classroom setting" - did she inform you of this? How?) They can learn just as much in their daily lives as in any classroom.  I am just now reading  abook that is talking about how marketing and big companies have convinced parents if their kids aren't in classes constantly from birth then they somehow will be behind and there is not one shred of evidence to back it up.

I personally do not send my kids to preschool. But if I did it would be for ONE year only, the year before kindergarten. i would never sned a 2 year old to preschool.

• 2-point-doe
    June 22, 2011 at 1:41 PM

We choose the montesorri program which is a 3 year program . They attend at ages 3, 4 and 5. DD started a couple of days before she turned 3.

You could alwasy find a mops program or add some other mom and me classes for the extra socialization.

• Little_Mamma230
    June 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    My DD started at the age of 1 1/2 yrs old, she started in Early Head Start. She is 3 now and will be going to head start next yr.

Toddlers & Preschoolers