Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Mme.Langley
What kind of preschool??
August 4, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I am currently researching preschools for my DD, even though she is only 15 months. Its too early to send her, but I like to do my research.

I am just curious... What kind of preschool do/did you send your kids to? Montessori? Reggio? etc? How much do you think is too much to pay? And if your child has already gone through preschool, how did you and your child enjoy the experience?How often did your child attend a week? How involved were you?  What made you choose that preschool? What were the outstanding features?

I know its a lot of questions to answer, and you dont need to answer them all. I appreciate any and all answers, and I thank you in advance for your responses.

I live in Southern California. Here, there are many many different types of preschools and education philosophies. And the price ranges from very cheap to almost $800 a month for 4 days a week. Price is not an issue for her education, but I dont want to pay an outrageous amount, regardless.

I'm not looking for drama, bashing etc. I am looking for a civilized discussion about your experiences and preferences with your children and their preschools.

Thank you all again!

Replies

• Azita888
    August 4, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I live in Southern California too, I am in San Diego County and the county is doing preschool for all project for certain neighborhoods until 2011.  The goal of the project is to find out if having free preschool is beneficial to kids.  So my dd is 3.5 and she has been going to this free preschool which is run by the national city school district, it's across the street from our elementary school.  She goes M-F 8 am to 11am and they follow the elementary school schedule, she is going back to the same class at the end of august.  I think it has been very good for her.  She is learning a lot and she has become much more social with kids her age.  They have parent teacher conference twice a year and they tell us how she is doing.  They also do 2-3 educational field trips (they went to sea world last year).  Parents can volunteer to help in the classroom as well.

• Wendy_June
    August 4, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I live in ND & my DS goes to a private preschool. He will be going 3 days a week and it will cost $100 a month.

• MamaPeanut
    August 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I sent my daughter to private preschool for 2 years.  It was $2,500 a year.  Worth every penny!

• kaylasmom22
    August 4, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Quoting Azita888:

I live in Southern California too, I am in San Diego County and the county is doing preschool for all project for certain neighborhoods until 2011.  The goal of the project is to find out if having free preschool is beneficial to kids.  So my dd is 3.5 and she has been going to this free preschool which is run by the national city school district, it's across the street from our elementary school.  She goes M-F 8 am to 11am and they follow the elementary school schedule, she is going back to the same class at the end of august.  I think it has been very good for her.  She is learning a lot and she has become much more social with kids her age.  They have parent teacher conference twice a year and they tell us how she is doing.  They also do 2-3 educational field trips (they went to sea world last year).  Parents can volunteer to help in the classroom as well.

That is just like Headstart here in NY. Everything even the schedule is what my DD does.

• mlg871
    by mlg871
    August 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Unfortunately I live in a small town... not many preschool options.  We take our dd to a private school that goes from 2yrs old to kindergarten.  This will be her 2nd year.  She goes full days, 3 days a week and it's $410 a month, which includes before and after care.  It is worth every penny - she loves it. 

• 2boys07
    by 2boys07
    August 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

My son is 3 and will be starting pre-school in the fall.  He will only be going two days a week and it's a school in a church.  I was killing my self about researching the different kinds of preschools, but what it came down to was the following things:  They played outside everyday (depending on weather), they didn't use worksheets...they learned things hands on, a place I received good referrals about, and they had structured play and free play.  There were some schools that were ALL free play, and didn't really do anything structured...and didn't even work on numbers, letters, colors...etc.

I did research on many different schools, but when I went to visit them I knew right away if it was the right one or not and that's not something you can research.  Are the kids happy in the classroom?  Do the teachers seem friendly? Are there many different toys to play with?  As many schools I have researched have said...preschool is really about learning social skills.  Walking in line, listening to the teacher, sharing, following directions.

I also chose the school because there were a lot of parenting volunteer opportunities.  I actually met with a few pre-schools that completely discouraged parents from visiting or helping in the classroom because it may distract their child that attends there.  I think my son would love to see me there on occasion.

Hope that helps...good luck on your search!

• 2boys07
    by 2boys07
    August 4, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Oh, and the school he will attend is $145 a month for 2 days a week.  We live in northern, va.

• bunnywzrd
    August 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Miya is going this year. She will go Tues. and Thurs. from 9am to 12. It is a baptist church that does it. We will pay $65 a month.

My oldest daughter went there and it was a wonderful experiance for her. It also helped socialize her. There will be only 12 kids in Miyas class instead of a huge group. I think they get more individual attention in a more private school.

With serena I was not involved much because I had Miya. I hope with Miya I can do more.

• Shaynas_Mommy
    August 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM

We just enrolled our 3 1/2 year-old DD in the Christian pre-school here, yesterday. We chose it because DH knows the pastor, his wife, and 2 of the teachers there. Plus, we wanted her to go somewhere Christian oriented and learn about those things in addition to the normal schooling. It is $90 a month Mon, Wed, and Friday from 8:30-11:30. She is already so excited to go, and they take the kids on field trips, have "prom" and a graduation at the end of year. We just really like the way things were set up and what they do.

• kaylasmom22
    August 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM

A friend told me something that is very true , at that age is best to do some type of free school. when they get to a older age then spend the money if u want to. She put one daughter in private school after kindergarten only. I think that is a good idea, but whatever  you decide you are the mom lol.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts