Pregnancy

Featured Posts
hmitchell
Cholestasis (SEVERE ITCHING) of Pregnancy??
August 21, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Has anyone dealt with this?  My hands and feet have been really itchy lately, and when I googled it, this came up.  Just wondering if any of you have had this problem, and if so, what did your dr. do about it?  I have already had my blood drawn this week to check liver function and who knows what (wanting to make sure I am not pre-eclamptic). 

For those of you who do not know what this is, here is some info:

Some women experience a very severe itching in late pregnancy. The most common cause of this is cholestasis, a common liver disease that only happens in pregnancy. Cholestasis of pregnancy is a condition in which the normal flow of bile in the gallbladder is affected by the high amounts of pregnancy hormones. Cholestasis is more common in the last trimester of pregnancy when hormones are at their peak, but it usually goes away within a few days after delivery. According to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cholestasis occurs in about 1 out of 1,000 pregnancies but is more common in Swedish and Chilean ethnic groups. Cholestasis is sometimes referred to as extrahepatic cholestasis which occurs outside the liver, intrahepatic cholestasis which occurs inside the liver, or obstetric cholestasis.

Replies

• hmitchell
    August 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM

**BUMP**

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts