Pregnancy

Featured Posts
MommyMarrero
Due Date Calculation..
August 21, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Just a quick question... I know the EDD your doctor gives you can be off by even 2 weeks at times. However, I know the date of conception (well a span of 3 days lol) and the exact date of my last menstrual period. Does that give me a more accurate due date?

Replies

• italianmom403
    August 21, 2008 at 9:09 AM

bump I was wondering that all this time too!!

• MommyMarrero
    August 21, 2008 at 9:10 AM

well since we both wanna know lol... lets BUMP again!

• Whitney2207
    August 21, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Bump -- i wanna know too

• AmelieH
    by AmelieH

you know, I also know exact dates, but I am not sure if it makes it any more accurate.  the thing is, that baby is going to come when it wants to (unless you are induced or whatever), so the due date is still going to be an estimation.

• jamie_smith4

WELL I TO THOUGHT IT DID but in mu case its not right cuz i know when my last  monthly was and when i got prego and i should me due feb 5th bu tmy dr is saying march 4th cuz are baby is messering so tinny

• MommyMarrero
    August 21, 2008 at 9:14 AM

I just found this... and I guess it doesnt matter anyway because the guy/girl  who came up with the rule was doing it based on the AVERAGE pregnancy. Oh well lol.

How are due dates calculated?

The standard calculation is called Nägele's Rule.  This was developed in the 1850's by a Dr. Nägele, who determined that the average human pregnancy was 266 days from conception, or 280 days (40 weeks) from the start of the last menstrual period. To calculate this, begin with the first day of your last period (LMP). Add 7 days, then subtract 3 months.

((LMP + 7 days) - 3 months) = Expected Date of Delivery
    EX: ((April 1 + 7 days) - 3 months) = January 8

This "rule" doesn't take into account the fact that many women are uncertain of the date of their last menstrual period, not all women have 28 day cycles, and not all women ovulate on day 14 of their cycle.

• edenchai
    August 21, 2008 at 9:15 AM

It will give you a better idea of when you're exactly 40 wks, but like the other poster said, your baby's gonna come when he's ready..don't we all wish due dates were an exact science lol!

• MommyMarrero
    August 21, 2008 at 9:18 AM

So since the baby is born when it is ready... it makes me wonder what the longest recorded pregnancy was and how long it lasted lol.

Quoting edenchai:

It will give you a better idea of when you're exactly 40 wks, but like the other poster said, your baby's gonna come when he's ready..don't we all wish due dates were an exact science lol!

• MommyMarrero
    August 21, 2008 at 9:21 AM

You can tell I'm bored lol....

One of the residents to deliver a healthy baby boy last year was Dr. August. Her pregnancy is also of note because it was the longest recorded human gestation on record. Dr. August was pregnant for a staggering 17 months 11 days. This will be noted in the next edition of the Guinness Book of Workl Records.
  • Cynthje
    by Cynthje
    August 21, 2008 at 9:23 AM

I know my exact conception date and it is a bit more accurate than the way it is usually calculated. But.. that doesn't mean that the 38-42 week rule doesn't apply, that's just normal gestational period for humans. So even though i know my due date is very accurate i still am not expecting the baby to come on or around that day.

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts