Pregnancy

Featured Posts
sweetnsourgem76
Breastfeeding
July 31, 2008 at 5:38 AM

OK one quick question! Its about breastfeeding. I was NEVER able 2 do it with my son and that was 10yrs ago now i truly want 2 breastfeed. I have colostrum that comes out now when i stimulate in shower or just by putting on lotion and I also think milk 2 cuz it comes out white now. BUT only a few drops come out and that is it......After CSection will the flow be heavier? WIll I actually be able 2 breatfeed??? Also I heard for the 1st 2 weeks you shouldnt freeze the milk. Is that true? Why? My mom so wants 2 buy a breastpump 4 us but i asked her to wait incase it just doesnt come out nemore after she is born. I know stores wont accept a breastpump back even if you didnt open the box happened 2 a friend of mine. I asked OB about it last week and he said milk doesnt come out at all until placenta is removed so there is no telling what these puppies will pump out in the next 5 hours 

OK also......since i will be having an epidural, painmeds  n what not due 2 having the csect. how long will it be b4 i can try breastfeeding her? Do the nurses give her a bottle to eat while I am in recovery? I so dont want her to get used 2 a bottle if i have the chance 2 breatsfeed. I know that sounds selfish but i want my nipple 2 b the only nipple she knows until she is a few weeks and i am storing milk which then she will have a bottle but with breastmilk NOT formula.I know nothing is wrong with formula but I am really upset tho I couldnt do a VBAC this time I soooooo wanted the real experience of a vaginal birth and now i cant and i guess knowing I have the possibility of breastfeeding I am getting VERY EXCITED.  I guess I am also overwhelming myself with all these things but I am sure you know how it is. Also at hospitals these doctors and nurses talk their language and i know how they are cuz  i am in medical field myself but 4 sum reason I JUST WANT LAMENS terms I want real answers not the run around stuff. I am not a nurse I am A RMA n Certified Phlebotomist.  PLZ HELP i will be on computer 4 at least another hour then i gotta get son up while hubby is showering.

OOOOOOOH i am so hungry right now. I guess its knowing I CANT eat that i WANT to eat! I sooo want a bowl of Fruity Pebbles.....LOL LOL

Thanks AGAIN!!!  

Replies

• Pandana
    by Pandana
    July 31, 2008 at 5:54 AM

I know alot of people who have successfully breastfed after cesareans, but yes, they will probably give the baby a bottle while you are in recovery. For some reason, there is this idea that if a baby does not eat within a certain number of hours after birth something catastrophic will happen, but it won't. Babies are born with enough fuids to sustain them for a couple of days after birth because that is how long it can take for some women's milk to fully come in. You will have colostrum until then, and that is VERY important to the baby, but your actual milk might not show up right away and that is totally normal.

You probably can't talk the staff out of giving a bottle because they are so ridiculously obsessed with glucose testing that they'll insist that the baby needs formula, even though they don't. But that's okay. You just have to keep offering the breast every chance that you get and be adamant that they let you have the baby with you every moment possible to keep up the effort. Even if there is a slight bottle prefernce in the beginning, it can be overcome. They fuss a little and get frustrated when that happens, but you just have to be persistent. Don't let anyone try to tell you that ANY baby doesn't "want" or "like" to breastfeed. Some babies will need a little more urging than others and it can take several days to get it going, but you can absolutely do it. Good luck!

• loli_usn17
    July 31, 2008 at 6:06 AM

Talk to the hospital ahead of time. They can give your baby sugar water or formula through a syringe into the mouth, that way he doesn't get used to a bottle. As for breastfeeding afterwards, my friend had to wait 6 hours before she could even see her baby, but she breastfed successfully. Your colostrum will be what your baby eats. It's very concentrated and it's a small amount, so don't worry if you can't hear lots of swallowing and if you don't leak. The more you latch on your baby, the faster your milk comes in.

Milk should come within 3-4 days. If it takes any longer, I would ask a lactation consultant. Buy the pump. Only 3% of women cannot truely breastfeed. Once your milk comes in, you can start pumping extra milk. You can freeze milk whenever. It's just that the colostrum is still in your breasts for the first 6 weeks (with the milk). Freezing kills some of the good stuff, although thawed breastmilk is still a lot better than formula. I would start pumping a few weeks after the baby is born...or when breastfeeding is well established.

Two websites you should check out are kellymom.com and llli.org. The latter is the la leche league website. Both are very helpful. Do your research and if possible contact a lactation consultant. (Doctors can be helpful, but sometimes you get the odd one who thinks breastfeeding is completely useless and he or she can give you false info--you have to think of what their specialties are. Lactation consultants are trained, certified people who know A LOT about breastfeeding and the like).

Most importantly...don't give up! Take it day by day in the beginning. If you start looking too far ahead it can look a little depressing, if you're struggling. So just take it day by day. Remember, this is new for you and the baby. Practice make perfect!

Anyway, good luck!

• AandCsmomBrandy
    July 31, 2008 at 7:02 AM

I hope that I catch you before you go!!!

#1 Tell the nurses and Doctors VERY clearly DO NOT  give my child a bottle or pacifier for any reason. it is your choice if your child recieves either.

#2 you can breastfeed as soon as you are sewn up. the epidural does not contaminate your milk, and though I have never had an epidural I have heard from nurses that because the epidural relaxes the body it allows your milk to flow better.

#3 a bad experience nursing before does not mean you will have a bad experience this time.

#4 remember you are in charge do not let anyone tell you otherwise!!!

good luck mama, and enjoy your little one no matter what!!!

• UltrasoundShirt
    July 31, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Quoting AandCsmomBrandy:

I hope that I catch you before you go!!!

#1 Tell the nurses and Doctors VERY clearly DO NOT  give my child a bottle or pacifier for any reason. it is your choice if your child recieves either.

#2 you can breastfeed as soon as you are sewn up. the epidural does not contaminate your milk, and though I have never had an epidural I have heard from nurses that because the epidural relaxes the body it allows your milk to flow better.

#3 a bad experience nursing before does not mean you will have a bad experience this time.

#4 remember you are in charge do not let anyone tell you otherwise!!!

good luck mama, and enjoy your little one no matter what!!!

I totally agree! It is your birth and your baby. MOM IS THE BOSS:) And your milk will come in after birth. The colostrum lasts 3-5 days, then milk. Nothing brings your milk in better then nursing your baby. GL! There is also a breastfeeding moms here at cafe Mom, they are great!

• amystephan
    July 31, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Check with your hosptial to see if they have breastfeeding classes or at least on staff lactation consultants.  I took the class about a month before my oldest was born.  It was great having info beforehand.  Then make sure it is known that you want a lactation consultant to see you as soon after birth as they can.  As noted above, if they "need" to give the baby something they can do it either by syringe or spoon.  The baby won't take much at all anyways.

Don't worry about what is coming out now.  Some women leak from very early or anywhere through out their pregnancy.  Some (like me) never leak at all during pregnancy but still bf just fine.  Pumping early on helps with uping your production.  It's not really recomended to do it on a regular basis until breastfeeding is established well.

I looked up some info on la leche about epidurals.  From what I see the biggest "issue" is that babies can tend to be more on the "sleepy" side so it makes them a bit lazy.  Just keep working with the baby and again, if you can have a lactation consultant or at least a supportive nurse it will happen.  Don't get frustrated.  Both of you (you and baby) need to "learn".  It's not magic of once born everyone knows what to do but it will be very natural as you go.  And like the pp said, make it clear to the drs that you WILL be breastfeeding. C-section moms do it ALL of the time, you can too. : )

Also check out here on Cafemom the breastfeeding groups.  One is actually supported by a La Leche League leader.  I think the other one is named simply Breastfeeding and is quite large so I'm sure you will find many moms who have been through the same.  I'll be joining soon myself. : )

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts