jleighbum
REALLY scared...
March 13, 2007 at 12:02 PM
U guys, i am totally freaked out about labor w this child i am carrying.  With my last child, my blood pressure bottomed out after the epidural.  I remember feeling so sleepy and seeing things spin, and telling my husband something was wrong.  While I was passing out I remember him yelling trying to make me stay awake.  I waited until about 8 cm dilated to have my epidural, and i only had it then  because with my first child, it didn't work well, and I could feel the pressure and pain of pushing him out.  So, I am wondering if maybe to be on the safe side I should go natural.  How much worse does it get after 8 cm without and epidural?  I am scared all the way around.

Replies

• mommacat
    March 13, 2007 at 1:24 PM
    I have had 2 births without an epidural and I don't think it's that bad. I mean yes it hurts if anyone says it doesn't they are lying!! But as soon as they are out you forget all about the pain, it doesn't matter anymore since they are in your arms. I would say if you can make it to 8cm then you can make it all the way. By 8cm you're almost there! With my first they did have to use the spoons to get him out as his heartrate dropped when I pushed so they did numb me for that but just a local, so that's always an option for you as well. Check out all your options, too many times I think they just push the epidural without even considering any alternatives. With my daughter I went totally natural and I plan to do it again this time. Just stay relaxed and learn the breathing exercises as they really do help but you have to do them properly and having a good coach helps!! I'm sure all will be fine.
  • im_that_gurl511
    March 13, 2007 at 1:51 PM
    I had an epidural with my second and the same thing happend to me my blood pressure dropped I just remember that everything that was far looked close and everything close went far then I just kinda went blank. They had to put some meds in my IV I guess ( I was out cold and dont remember) Then everything was back to normal just like that. I waited until 7cm to get my epidural too not by chioce, where I lived there wasnt really an option 3 hospitals share one on call anesthesiologist for mothers delivering natural. I totally would have got it earlier. Anyways back to the topic from what my dr told me just because it happens to you once doesnt mean it will happen again. theres always some sort of risk involved. I am 7 months with this one and if I can have an epidural I am goin to take it. I have delivered 2 natural and one with epidural and for me I just prefer it.  I am not really scared of it happening again after what my dr said. The chioce is your though talk it over with your dr and see what they say.
  • SoulfulMommy
    March 13, 2007 at 1:52 PM
    I can understand your fear that sounds like a very scary experience I would imagine if you can make it that far you should be ok,this is your third baby and it does get easier the more you have or so I hear from everyone,getting ready to have my second in august. I know lots of women who went all natural and they all say the same thing,you forget the pain when it's over,I got the epidural cause Ima pain wimp,but I didn't last like you did I was only like 5 cm or so so I say do what makes you feel safe and remember the birth only lasts so long.
  • MammaCat
    March 13, 2007 at 3:13 PM
    Each person is different, and there's a chance that you may still want/need some form of pain relief. Just remember the epidural isn't the only form!!! There are other things that take the edge off the pain. They don't take it away as much as an epidural does, but they still help. Check into a local anesthetic that just kinda numbs that area when getting close to, and then during, pushing.

If you haven't yet, look into a birth class. Don't get one that pushes only vaginal with no drugs (cause its still natural whether it's with/without drugs and vaginal, or a c-section!!! Either way you're "birthing" that baby, and it's more important you're BOTH healthy and comfortable than how and under what conditions the baby emerges!)... Hospitals usually have good classes. They cover relaxation and breathing techniques to try and help with the pain/discomfort. They give other suggestions to help ease the pain, as well as teaching various possitions for labor that may help make it easier. But they also inform you of the various medical pain relief options, the risks involved with each, and anything else you might want to know about them! That way you can make an informed decision come the time you might want/need something!!!
  • MamaGlitterBug
    March 13, 2007 at 3:35 PM
    I didn't feel my son push himself out with my second pregnancy.

I got my epidural, leaned back and baby popped out.....literally that fast. The dr said I delivered naturally cause the epidural hadn't taken effect yet.

I would go natural or do the pain meds via IVdrip before I did an epi again. I am going to try to go meds free totally natural this time around.
  • harleymama30
    March 13, 2007 at 3:45 PM
    I went natural the first two times.  the 3rd time the OB ordered an epidurel.  Will never do that again thats for sure.  For the pain, no it dont get any worse than what it does at 8cm.  just think calm things, just think 2 more and its home free. your body will also know how much pain the contractions will cause so your body will be use to it or expect it. you will be fine. its worth it in the end no matter what you decide. just remember the contractions are the worst part, the actual birth part don't hurt as much. just remember too, each labor and delivery is different, it all depends on what you want too. good luck
  • mbmomof3
    March 13, 2007 at 3:50 PM
    If pain free is what you really want then you can always try it with the option in the back of your mind of getting relief if necessary.  I have heard from some of my friends who had an epidural with one and and no pain meds on the other deliver,  that the effect of the pain meds is a lot about if you believe it will work.  For me it worked great, but I was given pitocin to move things more quickly so natural labor seemed like a piece of cake compared to that. 
  • jleighbum
    March 13, 2007 at 4:46 PM
    thanks for your advice, I really do believe I want to try and go natural this time, ya'll are making me feel better.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts