Pregnancy

Featured Posts
Bugg84
Advice Needed: Other people hate my baby name...
by Bugg84
September 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM

My mom is passively opinionated about the name we've chosen, and keeps suggesting other names every time she sees me. And others have said "sounds like a stripper" and "as in a hooker?"  My husband and I love the name, and my two year old already calls her by the name we've chosen. How can I stick to my guns?  How do I squash all this negativity?  It's wearing me down... I dont even respond to the suggested alternatives.  Her name will be Kimber Laurel M. to share my intitials and honor a friend of ours by using Laurel as her middle name.

Replies

• japanmommy
    September 10, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    I know a kimber, and never have I thought of her as a stripper lol. Maybe respond with a passive aggressive "that's nice mother" and move on? It's your baby, you are licking the name and they can get over it
  • Mama9512
    September 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    I don't personally love it but I like that it's unique! I think you need to stick to your guns, your mom can get over it. I'm pregnant and nobody likes the names I've picked out either but it's not their kid so I will name this kid whatever I want!
  • babycrittermom
    September 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM

If YOU and DH like the name that is all that matters.Plus it is impossible to please everyone and those suggesting you choose another name for your baby will have to get over it, Just tell them that her name is already decided period.

• JessiFaye
    September 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I think Kimber is cute. You need to just sit her down and tell her that the name has already been decided, and it isn't going to change. So out of respect to you, you would appreciate it if she would stop insulting your choices.

• krystyneh
    September 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    If you and your DH like the name then use It. Screw what anyone else says. My friend was harassed by a friend of hers because she named her son Julian (he's half black and half white) and her friend told her that her sons name wasn't black enough. Everyone will have their own opinion. I personally like the name you picked out and I know a Kimber that is a lawyer.
  • dolphingurl1286
    September 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    It's cute. Why would they think stripper or hooker?
  • esox
    by esox
    September 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I don't think Kimber sounds like a stripper or a hooker. I'd tell your mother and others if they are so insterested in naming another baby, they can have one for themselves. Or just ignore it when it comes up. The less attention you give the situation, the more likely they will be to give up. 

• Bugg84
    by Bugg84
    September 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM

ah, thank you!  My best friend picked a horrible name for her daughter, but I never once thought to mention my opinion on it.  Not my kid, not my decision, right?  Just a matter of getting other people to zip it, I guess.  Thanks for the support!

• TheyAreMyLoves
    September 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    My family mom and that entire side of the family made fun of our boy AND girl names (before we found out she was a girl).
    They especially hated our girl name, which we absolutely love and had already set on.

They rudely suggested other "better names" for almost an hour at a family gathering.

My mom still doesn't like it but I've already told her that her opinion isn't welcome anymore and I sure as shit don't care how she feels about the name at this point.
    I told her that her grandchild's name is going to be Eleanor Ruby and that. is. that.
    No more discussion.

I think Kimber is very cute. And the middle name honoring a friend is sweet.
    Next time someone has anything to say about her name just tell them you dont appreciate them calling you're daughter/their grandchild/niece/etc a stripper or hooker.
  • lillucky8
    September 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    We didnt tell anyone the name for this reason! I didnt want to hear about what people thought. Id just start telling people its a secret and they will know the name when the baby is born

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN