KPJ
Breastfeeding game plan
by KPJ
August 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Does breastfeeding makes you hungry or extra tired?
What was your game plan when it comes to breastfeding baby? For example:
When baby is awake and hungry=breastfeed
When baby is asleep=pump milk?
When baby is awake but not hungry=pump milk?
At what time did you rest?

Replies

• KylersMom8-16-7
    August 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    At the beginning I would fall asleep mid conversation while nursing lol so yes it makes you tired but it fades.

I actually wasn't hungry at all for the first several weeks but I made myself eat.

When baby is hungry nurse. There is no reason to pump unless you plan to go to work or school. Your supply regulates itself everyday to meet babies needs.

I would nap occasionally after my third was born because my DF was home but when I have my next baby it will be me with a newborn, 2 year old, a 5 year old, and a 6 year old so that won't happen... ever lol.

Quoting KPJ:

Does breastfeeding makes you hungry or extra tired?

What was your game plan when it comes to breastfeding baby? For example:

When baby is awake and hungry=breastfeed

When baby is asleep=pump milk?

When baby is awake but not hungry=pump milk?

At what time did you rest?

• Randi02
    by Randi02
    August 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

It doesn't make me hungry or tired.

I breastfeed on demand. No bottle, no pumping, no schedules - I feed my babie when they want to eat. That is the best way to build your supply - especially during the first few weeks and any growth spurts- because they nurse constantly.

I rest at night, and if I'm able to nap when the baby does. This is my 4th baby, so it gets harder to have a nap during the day lol

• kelly617
    August 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I noticed I was really thirsty when breastfeeding...not so much extra hungry but thirsty ALL the time

My game plan is to mix in "sleep training" with breastfeeding...I've been reading up and apparently with my first son I set myself up for failure with the way I fed/played/put him to sleep
    During the day I'm gonna wake him up every 2hrs. Feed him first, THEN play with him so he doesnt' associate full tummy with going to bed (because then he'll only sleep after eating) then change him and then let him fall back into a nap for 2hrs
    then at night I won't wake him up and supposedly that will set his lil internal clock so he'll know when to sleep
    Hopefully it'll work!

I made the mistake with my first that I would let him fall asleep right after a nursing or bottle and even now at 20 months he still needs a bottle to fall asleep...it sucks

OH and as soon as baby is done nursing I'm going to pump to try and promote as much milk as possible...I had a problem with low supply as soon as I went back to work last time so I'd rather deal with oversupply than not enough

GOOD LUCK!!!

• HKing01
    by HKing01
    August 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I'm just going to feed on demand, no pumping/no bottles. I don't remember it making me extra hungry last time. I do remember getting tired, especially during those late night feedings but I think that's just from lack of sleep.

• ann.91356
    August 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I am currently nursing 5 monthl old and due in Late Novmber with #3 The 1 .1/2 year old weaned himself about 3 months ago.  Tired yes!!  lucky to have a great husband as well as his very supportive family. We have  4 houses on a large farm  so help is always close.

• lflips
    by lflips
    August 2, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Does breastfeeding makes you hungry or extra tired? Nope, it never had that effect on me. 

What was your game plan when it comes to breastfeding baby? For example: I breastfeed on demand for both hunger and comfort

When baby is asleep=pump milk? I'll probably pump once or twice a day to build up a milk supply for when I return to school

At what time did you rest? I rest whenever I can with a nb. However with an active toddler it'll be a little different this time. 

• Raeann11
    August 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    I breast feed on demand. I pumped when I felt I needed to.
  • wolfybaby
    August 3, 2013 at 12:19 AM
    breastfeeding in the early months made me extremely hungry and tired [calories going to making milk and hormones causing tiredness]. this time around, i am going to pump in between nursing sessions and if baby sleeps through a feeding. not only is it the best way to ensure a high supply, but youll always have extra milk for emergencies or road trips.
  • Retrokitty
    August 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Feed then pump.

• BlessedMammaof2
    August 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM
    I eat often and I'm most always hungry. Doesn't make me anymore tired than being awake several times at night with the baby. I nurse on demand when baby wants for as long as baby wants. I sleep when baby sleeps or whenever I need too when DH is home to look after our boys. I don't pump. If you plan on working or being away from baby you'll need to pump for every missed feeding. Roughly every 2-3 hours.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts