Koux
Ultrasound at 5 weeks - why??
by Koux
May 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Does anyone know why a doctor would want to do an ultrasound at 5 weeks? You can't really see anything at that point, right? I just found out I'm pregnant and scheduled my first appt for next week, and they want to do a transvaginal ultrasound. I'm not really a fan of those to begin with, and after two completely healthy pregnancies, I don't really see the purpose of doing an ultrasound so early. I might feel different if I had a history of high risk pregnancies or miscarriages, but I don't. I'm thinking of asking if we can skip the ultrasound for now and wait to do it for a few months. I'm not sure though - if there's a good medical reason to do it, of course i'm fine with it. i just feel its a little uneccesary. what would you do?

Replies

• daydreamer86
    May 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    I had one at 5 weeks with my son. I know it wasnt much but we seen a viable yolk sac in my uterus.
  • krystyneh
    May 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    I had my first at 5 weeks due to spotting but I know a lot of doctors do it to make sure there is at least a sac so they know the pregnancy is viable.
  • Devious103102
    May 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM

To make sure things implant correctly, maybe?

• nicole2884
    May 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    You can refuse it wait until. 12 wks or 18 up to you mama
  • LiquidLuck
    May 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM

No idea, really. If they were patient, all the answers they'd find out there would come out on their own in time. I got one at 5 weeks 6 days because I was having intense cramps. They weren't really focused on baby but we got to see our grain of rice with a tiny little heartbeat. I did not want any ultrasounds at all with this pregnancy unless it was medically necessary. Turns out they consider a lot of things medically necessary, lol.

• NoraDun
    by NoraDun
    May 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Who knows but it happens often. I have researched risks of u/s especially in the first trimester and was scared out of my mind after having one at 7 wks after having a horseback riding accident. I personally wouldn't do it unless there was an issue! And even then in the 1st trimester there isn't much that can be done!

• Iamstacey
    May 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    To date the pregnancy is what they told me.
  • Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    May 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM

mine that early was to make sure the due date was were it should be and where I thought it was...good thing too because I was off with both of mine

• davidnjonsmommy
    May 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM
    Usually it's to confirm the pregnancy and make sure it's viable.
  • tyrelsmom
    May 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    Who knows. Probably because your insurance will pay for it.
    My due date group had scads of women going for 5 weeks ultrasounds and seeing nothing... or no heartbeat yet.... and coming out more worried than when they went in. Really sad.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts