Pregnancy

Koux
Ultrasound at 5 weeks - why??
by Koux
May 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Does anyone know why a doctor would want to do an ultrasound at 5 weeks? You can't really see anything at that point, right? I just found out I'm pregnant and scheduled my first appt for next week, and they want to do a transvaginal ultrasound. I'm not really a fan of those to begin with, and after two completely healthy pregnancies, I don't really see the purpose of doing an ultrasound so early. I might feel different if I had a history of high risk pregnancies or miscarriages, but I don't. I'm thinking of asking if we can skip the ultrasound for now and wait to do it for a few months. I'm not sure though - if there's a good medical reason to do it, of course i'm fine with it. i just feel its a little uneccesary. what would you do?

Replies

• daydreamer86
    May 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    I had one at 5 weeks with my son. I know it wasnt much but we seen a viable yolk sac in my uterus.
  • krystyneh
    May 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    I had my first at 5 weeks due to spotting but I know a lot of doctors do it to make sure there is at least a sac so they know the pregnancy is viable.
  • Devious103102
    May 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM

To make sure things implant correctly, maybe?

• nicole2884
    May 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    You can refuse it wait until. 12 wks or 18 up to you mama
  • LiquidLuck
    May 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM

No idea, really. If they were patient, all the answers they'd find out there would come out on their own in time. I got one at 5 weeks 6 days because I was having intense cramps. They weren't really focused on baby but we got to see our grain of rice with a tiny little heartbeat. I did not want any ultrasounds at all with this pregnancy unless it was medically necessary. Turns out they consider a lot of things medically necessary, lol.

• NoraDun
    by NoraDun
    May 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Who knows but it happens often. I have researched risks of u/s especially in the first trimester and was scared out of my mind after having one at 7 wks after having a horseback riding accident. I personally wouldn't do it unless there was an issue! And even then in the 1st trimester there isn't much that can be done!

• Iamstacey
    May 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    To date the pregnancy is what they told me.
  • Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    May 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM

mine that early was to make sure the due date was were it should be and where I thought it was...good thing too because I was off with both of mine

• davidnjonsmommy
    May 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM
    Usually it's to confirm the pregnancy and make sure it's viable.
  • tyrelsmom
    May 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    Who knows. Probably because your insurance will pay for it.
    My due date group had scads of women going for 5 weeks ultrasounds and seeing nothing... or no heartbeat yet.... and coming out more worried than when they went in. Really sad.

Pregnancy