Pregnancy

Featured Posts
kelly617
Velamentous Cord Insertion??
April 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I had my anatomy scan a week ago and today was my appointment with the OB and he said that the umbilical cord isn't attached in the right spot. Instead of being in the middle like it should be its attached off to the side.

He didn't say it had a name and he didn't seem that concerned so I googled it when I got home just to see if it was a big deal or not...and now I'm kinda freaked out.
Has anyone been diagnosed with this? How did it work out for you and the baby?

I guess if you only have VCI the big concern is that the cord won't nourish the baby and you'll end up with growth issues (too small). But if you have Vasa Previa, where the cord is low and across the cervix, you can actually rupture the cord while in labor and end up with a still birth.
My doc did say that my cord is NOT near my cervix so thats good...but I'm still worried

Replies

• funhappymom
    April 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I would call the doctor and ask him if there is a name for what it is and stop googling. Google is awesome at times, this is not one of them.

• KatieFlower
    April 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

When is your next appointment? if its not too far away then perhaps wait and see, I am thinking if it were something very serious you would have been totally informed- but then again who knows, docs can be no very helpful sometimes.  they shouldnt have left you hanging without all of the info.

and yes dont google it- one time they told me my first son during the ultrasound that he had short legs and that meant there was some sort of developmental problem- went for another ultrasound and turned out they were just wrong. then with my second they said in the ultrasound he would need to have his kidney removed upon birth due to some sort of cyst. he was born and it was no problem at all. also they told me he would be not even 7 lbs, he was 9 1/2.  So they ultrasounds can be very very decieving even to seemingly trained techs.

try not to worry, i am will to bet its just nothing!

hugs

• kelly617
    April 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Thank you!
    I did have two ultrasounds last week...I had the anatomy scan on april 10th...and then they wanted to "check something else" so I went back a week later. The U/S tech's refused to tell me why but since my doc didn't call me and say "OMG something is wrong' I assumed everything was fine.

So at my appointment yesterday I wasn't that surprised to hear they found something "weird"
    Chances are it won't cause any issues...I was just wondering if anyone else had ever gotten diagnosed with it and how it went

thank you :)

Quoting KatieFlower:

When is your next appointment? if its not too far away then perhaps wait and see, I am thinking if it were something very serious you would have been totally informed- but then again who knows, docs can be no very helpful sometimes.  they shouldnt have left you hanging without all of the info.

and yes dont google it- one time they told me my first son during the ultrasound that he had short legs and that meant there was some sort of developmental problem- went for another ultrasound and turned out they were just wrong. then with my second they said in the ultrasound he would need to have his kidney removed upon birth due to some sort of cyst. he was born and it was no problem at all. also they told me he would be not even 7 lbs, he was 9 1/2.  So they ultrasounds can be very very decieving even to seemingly trained techs.

try not to worry, i am will to bet its just nothing!

hugs

• kmqw229
    by kmqw229
    April 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    I would keep calling or make an appt. You have the right to know what they saw on your u/s.
  • kelly617
    April 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Oh they told me..the cord is attached on the side instead of the middle like it should be.
    Luckily its not near the cervix.

I was just surprised because my doc didnt' seem worried about it, but it seems like it could be a big deal.

Quoting kmqw229:

I would keep calling or make an appt. You have the right to know what they saw on your u/s.

• Drienne13
    April 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

If the Doctor is not too worried at this point... I'd try to relax about it

I had similar scares when the doctor told me I had a two vessel (instead of three) cord & then a low lying placenta.

Everything has been thoroughly checked out regarding the cord. It's not causing any problems.

And the placenta... may very well migrate slowly towards the top of the uterus. 

So finally... I've learned to wait to panic at least until my OBGYN becomes concerned. :)

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts