Eternity807
No ultrasound yet...is this normal?
April 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I found out I was pregnant when I was about 5 weeks.  I called and scheduled an appointment and saw a nurse at 8 weeks to do bloodwork and confirm the pregnancy.  They scheduled me 3 weeks later with the doctor.  I was almost 13 weeks at this time.  I saw the doctor, she did a PAP, listened for a heartbeat, checked my uterus, said things were good, told me to gain 30lbs, said we would do an ultrasound in 6 weeks and sent me on my way.  Is this normal?  How come everyone seems to be getting ultrasounds and pics of their baby so young and I have to wait until 18 (almost 19) weeks?  This is my first and I was so excited just to see my baby.  I know it's probably petty but I just want to see what's growing inside me. 

Replies

• MariaGentle
    April 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    My doctor usually only schedules two ultrasounds and that is it. The only reason I have more is because I was diagnosed with severe HG and they wanted to monitor the baby.
  • sailorchu
    April 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    I was 17 weeks my first ultrasound, so you aren't too far off. At least you'll more than likely be able to find out the gender at that point. Some people that get their u/s early don't get another one until 20something weeks and don't find out the gender until then. I know it sucks to wait though.
  • nirvana78028
    April 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    I've had 3 different ob's and 4 pregnancies. Each one I got to see baby at 6-8 wks but only bc we can never go by my lmp. I hear some drs will have your first visit around the time you did.
  • goddiddlyumshis
    April 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    ultrasounds arent really necessary unless there is a concern. They are being done less and less nowadays.
  • tjane3000
    April 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    To that's odd, but all doctors are different. Both O.B's I have been to do an early u/s to determine an accurate dd. Maybe you insurance only covers one? It's not hurting anything not to have one though. Some opt out completely. If you want one just ask. You may have to pay out of pocket however.
  • Jen4boys06
    April 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

With my 1st, I had my 1st u/s at 18 weeks.  The only reason I had an early one with the others is b/c my periods were messed up. Congrats on your pregnancy!

• LizzieAnnesMom
    April 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    In all three of my pregnancies i had an u/s at 8 weeks because my lmp is unreliable. I skip some months or have two a month so we have no idea when i ovulate. I had another when i was about 14 weeks because they couldnt find a heartbeat with the regular monitor. And i had another at 20 weeks for the gender. For my other two i just had the two scans, original one and gender one.
  • Raeann11
    April 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Some never get ultrasounds, some get only one, some get a few and some a lot. Depends on each person, Dr/OB/Midwife and what insurances pays for.

I personally don't do them unless necessary. There are risks to ultrasounds.

• kayleesmom42328
    April 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    It's normal. Most drs only do 1 or 2 u/s. one at about 20 wks to do anatomy scan. If they have concerns they do a second. If you have spotting or bleeding early on they may do u/s to check everything. They may do one early if you don't know you lmp. If you are high risk they may do more. Also they go based on what your insurance pays for. Most insurances & medical cards only pay for 2. After that you have to have it preapproved.
    My ob only does 1 at 20 wks. I had an early u/s due to bleeding.
  • ToriBabe1221
    April 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    My midwife won't even see me till 10-11 weeks,and she doesn't routinely offer ultrasounds either! I have to ask for a referral for gender!!

As long as you are progressing normally in your pregnancy, i would say it's normal. There is much debate about ultrasounds, as well. It's really best to minimize your babes exposure.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts