Pregnancy

MommiesPNut
GBS+ .....PIOG
March 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Ugh... So had my group b strep test done at my 36 week appointment this past Thursday. Just got an email today from my doctor that it came back positive. Ugh =\ 

I tested negative with my first, so this is all so new to me.

she said if I am to labor, (I'm a VBAC), I'll have an IV of penicillin and it'll take care of it. So what does this mean for my labor?

I planned on laboring at home as long as I could. Do I need to go in ASAP? Probably need to if my water breaks right? (it broke first with DS1).

I'm going to discuss everything with my doctor when I see her this Thursday but, just wanted some thoughts and advice from ladies here who have been through it. 

Replies

• tyrelsmom
    March 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    The chances of having the baby catch it are pretty much nil unless baby is a preemie or your water is broken for a while.

I tested positive with my 3rd. My OB and I agreed on getting the antibiotics after my water broke if I wasn't pushing yet, or close to it. My water broke about 2 min before she was born, when she was crowning, lol, so we skipped the antibiotics.

In most European countries they don't even test for GBS and they have no higher rates of babies catching it.
  • tyrelsmom
    March 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    If you want to labor at home, and want to get the antibiotics, talk to your doc about coming in for your dose of antibiotics when your water breaks and going back home for 4 hours until it's time for the next dose.
  • MommiesPNut
    March 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Thanks!

Quoting tyrelsmom:

The chances of having the baby catch it are pretty much nil unless baby is a preemie or your water is broken for a while.

I tested positive with my 3rd. My OB and I agreed on getting the antibiotics after my water broke if I wasn't pushing yet, or close to it. My water broke about 2 min before she was born, when she was crowning, lol, so we skipped the antibiotics.

In most European countries they don't even test for GBS and they have no higher rates of babies catching it.

• Cynthje
    by Cynthje
    March 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I am from one of the coutnries that doesnt even test for it, the chances of your baby catching it are minimal and there is very very little proof that the antibiotics even work. I would labor as long as you want at home and try not to worry about it

• Pandapanda
    March 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM

The IV antibiotics only thange the outcome of Group B strep for 2-5% of women who get the full dose. Meaning.. it doesn't do much at all. The odds of something catastrophic happening as a result of GBS+ are very, very low. Keeping cervix checks to a minimum and leaving your water intact until it breaks on it's own are the best things you can do to lower the odds of baby getting the infection. You don't HAVE to go in as soon as your water breaks and you don't have to have the baby in a certain timeframe after your water breaks. Like I mentioned above- keep everything out/away from your vagina! That's only pushing bacteria back up towards the baby. 

I have been GBS+ both times. I had the iv and antibiotics with my first. it was excruciating to have the hep-lock, distracted me from labor, and was completely unecessary, as my water didn't break until 2-3 minutes before he was born. With my second I refused the IV. She was born with the sac of water intact, thus having no risk of getting an infection. 

• MommiesPNut
    March 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Wow lucky, my water broke first with DS1 before any major contractions had started, so my doctor is concerned that it'll more than likely happen again (idk how true those chances are). 

I've been declining cervical exams and plan to decline all exams once labor starts, especially once my water has broken. 

Thanks so much! 

HQuoting Pandapanda:

The IV antibiotics only thange the outcome of Group B strep for 2-5% of women who get the full dose. Meaning.. it doesn't do much at all. The odds of something catastrophic happening as a result of GBS+ are very, very low. Keeping cervix checks to a minimum and leaving your water intact until it breaks on it's own are the best things you can do to lower the odds of baby getting the infection. You don't HAVE to go in as soon as your water breaks and you don't have to have the baby in a certain timeframe after your water breaks. Like I mentioned above- keep everything out/away from your vagina! That's only pushing bacteria back up towards the baby. 

I have been GBS+ both times. I had the iv and antibiotics with my first. it was excruciating to have the hep-lock, distracted me from labor, and was completely unecessary, as my water didn't break until 2-3 minutes before he was born. With my second I refused the IV. She was born with the sac of water intact, thus having no risk of getting an infection. 

• tyrelsmom
    March 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    It's said that Vitamin C makes your sac stronger. I don't know if it's true.... but it won't hurt.

Quoting MommiesPNut:

Wow lucky, my water broke first with DS1 before any major contractions had started, so my doctor is concerned that it'll more than likely happen again (idk how true those chances are). 

I've been declining cervical exams and plan to decline all exams once labor starts, especially once my water has broken. 

Thanks so much! 

HQuoting Pandapanda:

• MommiesPNut
    March 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I had some mommies from my ddg tell me that so I've actually been taking extra vit c gummies daily since earlier on in pregnancy. Fingers crossed it helped! 

Quoting tyrelsmom:

It's said that Vitamin C makes your sac stronger. I don't know if it's true.... but it won't hurt.

Quoting MommiesPNut:

Thanks so much! 

HQuoting Pandapanda:

• tyrelsmom
    March 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    If you're using supplements rather than foods, you can overdo it. I only took 1 a day, 500mg, and there was also some in my prenatal. Usually the first sign you're overdoing it is intestinal cramping.

Quoting MommiesPNut:

I had some mommies from my ddg tell me that so I've actually been taking extra vit c gummies daily since earlier on in pregnancy. Fingers crossed it helped! 

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Quoting MommiesPNut:

Thanks so much! 

HQuoting Pandapanda:

• NoraDun
    by NoraDun
    March 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I highly suggest getting probiotics. This can actually fix the problem! I personally would do it for a week and then ask to be retested. Having an IV during labor is a pain, and often times give the nurses and Drs just enough of an excuse to keep you in bed. Also research it, you would be shocked what you will find that says antibiotics do no good anyway!

Pregnancy