Pregnancy

KristinCarr
Names hard to pronounce?
February 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM
I kinda have a trend of my kida names being hard to pronounce, i didnt mean to because to me and the culture.im used to they arent hard at all but ive realised in public lile school or doctora offices they are hard.

My sons name is Alexys... everyone either cant say it, its just like Alexis , or they think he is a girl, we call him AJ since he is Alexys Jr.

My daughter is Ciela, everyone says Celia, when its See-ella.

Now this baby is going to be Cataleya and im nervous it will.be the same.
If you have seen the movie Colombiana you will know how to say it. ut i not how would you say it?

Replies

• brittany208
    February 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I'm a sub and I hate names that are hard to pronounce. I always say them wrong and the kids laugh. Some I don't even try because I honestly have NO idea. I insist on names that are not common, but are not unheard of, so people can immediately recognize the gender and how to pronounce them. but thats just me :)

• Amycapl
    by Amycapl
    February 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

i got the first name you posted but the second one i got wrong.  I'm certain i would pronounce the 3rd one wrong and i wouldn't even embarrass myself trying.. lol.  my daughter gets the "High Five" magazine and in every issue there is a story with some Spanish in it.  There is phonetic spelling of the words to help parents read it and I STILL sound like a complete idiot trying to read it... i feel like i'm doing DD more harm than good with her hearing my ignorant ass try to speak Spanish... lol.

• kmqw229
    by kmqw229
    February 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    I have no idea, sorry.

What is the correct pronounciation?
  • MrsWhite101610
    February 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    My dd is Raevyn, we didn't think it was hard to pronounce but a nurse at her old doctor's office would never attempt it...just one nurse. Everyone else can say it but sometimes spell it wrong. It's like raven btw. Rae-old fashioned version of ray and we just changed the e to a y because I'm Amanda and its annoying to have 5 other people in your class with your name.
  • ajohnson08099
    February 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    Yea I got your second one wrong too lol

Is it cat-uh-lay-uh? Because that's all I could figure
  • KristinCarr
    February 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    Yes thats exactly how to pronounce it. At least somebosy got it lol

Quoting ajohnson08099:

Yea I got your second one wrong too lol

Is it cat-uh-lay-uh? Because that's all I could figure

• Pandapanda
    February 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Cat-uh-lee-ah?

I don't know. If I see it and pronounce it wrong, I don't feel bad. I think a lot of people set their kids up for failure with name spellings or choices. Some names are just unique (and I don't mean made up or spelled "unique") and are so uncommon that people just don't know at first. 

But then again.. my son's middle name is Louis and on multiple occasions people have read it as Louise.. like a woman's name. Oh well, right? 

• Mrs.Andrews
    February 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I would say it Cat-ah-lay-ah

• Gabrielle1982
    February 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I would say it Cat-a-le-ya, like Catalina.

• ImNotKarl
    February 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Cat-Uh-Lay-Uh.

I got the other two right. They aren't hard.

Pregnancy