I am 27, expecting baby #1 after long term TTC and we coulcnt be more excited. I am now week 14.5!
However, yesterday, we got test results back that there is a high chance my baby will have down syndrome and the dr thinks we should do the amnio teat.I literally spent the day crying. I am sooo nervous for so many reasons- what if the test goes wrong and we lose the baby? what if results come back positive and we have to face the decision of what to do? i cant iagine aborting after all this time and am so scared it will take anoither 2 torterous to get pregs!
Has anyone ever done this test? if so, please share your experiences. I dont know anyone who's done it...
Reading ur post was like seeing into my thoughts in november. I will b honest my initial reaction and hubbys was to terminate , not bcs my baby wouldnt be perfect as ive seen other posters bash abt. But bcs i kept thinking how hard life would b for him and that if i or hubby were to pass young who would care and love him like us? I spent the weekend crying trying to decide if to do the test or not. I didnt want to be influenced by anyone so dh and i decided to decide if to do test after speaking to the genetics counselor and get all the facts from her. Before we.went in howevet we haf decided no matter what we were not tetminating but of course there was still the test. After speaking to the counselor and lots of prayer wr chosr to go ahead with the test. The test itself was quick and more uncomfortable than painful. The results were negative our baby does not have ds. All i can say is that either way this are hard decisions to make, just ensure you make all all the questions you need that will allow you to make a decision that you dont feel pressuref into making. On any of it. Gl..im mobile i apologise for the grammar and spelling :)
I've done that stupid test twice. I have a 1 in 200 chance of having a DS baby, these tests were done back when I was 21 and 22 years old and I am now 30.
I did not do an amnio, there was no point in it. I read up on DS and prepared myself in case any of my baby's were, but the risk of miscarrying was too high for me to take the chance. Either way I would never abort as I believe it's murder.
You don't HAVE to do the amnio, and in fact, my OB advised against it.
Was it a blood test? I would ask for an ultrasound to confirm. I got an amnio done with my 3rd but that's because we were given a fatal diagnosis and wanted the amnio to be a 100% sure the doctors were right. We carried regardless but wanted to be sure. It was scary and I did have some cramping after. There should be another blood test around 16 weeks too. I would just wait for a 2nd test and ultrasound. *hugs*
The test you probably had has a very high percentage of being inaccurate. And even the amino can give false positives. If it was me I would not do the amino and at the 20 week u/s I'd look for ds markers but honestly if one of my kids did have ds, knowing beforehand would not make a difference I would still have the child and love and care for them just the same