Pregnancy

Featured Posts
MichelleM14
Have to do an amnio and really scared
January 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Hi all,

I am 27, expecting baby #1 after long term TTC and we coulcnt be more excited. I am now week 14.5!

However, yesterday, we got test results back that there is a high chance my baby will have down syndrome and the dr thinks we should do the amnio teat.I literally spent the day crying. I am sooo nervous for so many reasons- what if the test goes wrong and we lose the baby? what if results come back positive and we have to face the decision of what to do? i cant iagine aborting after all this time and am so scared it will take anoither 2 torterous to get pregs!

Has anyone ever done this test? if so, please share your experiences. I dont know anyone who's done it...

Replies

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    January 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM

what test results? most of those are notorious for showing a high DS rate, when in fact baby is fine.

• 1stTimeMom1982
    January 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM

If you know that you wouldn't get rid of your baby at this point then I wouldn't recommend getting the amnio done. It's not worth the headache or risk. 

• Star127
    by Star127
    January 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    Reading ur post was like seeing into my thoughts in november. I will b honest my initial reaction and hubbys was to terminate , not bcs my baby wouldnt be perfect as ive seen other posters bash abt. But bcs i kept thinking how hard life would b for him and that if i or hubby were to pass young who would care and love him like us? I spent the weekend crying trying to decide if to do the test or not. I didnt want to be influenced by anyone so dh and i decided to decide if to do test after speaking to the genetics counselor and get all the facts from her. Before we.went in howevet we haf decided no matter what we were not tetminating but of course there was still the test. After speaking to the counselor and lots of prayer wr chosr to go ahead with the test. The test itself was quick and more uncomfortable than painful. The results were negative our baby does not have ds. All i can say is that either way this are hard decisions to make, just ensure you make all all the questions you need that will allow you to make a decision that you dont feel pressuref into making. On any of it. Gl..im mobile i apologise for the grammar and spelling :)
  • JadeTigr7
    January 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I've done that stupid test twice.  I have a 1 in 200 chance of having a DS baby, these tests were done back when I was 21 and 22 years old and I am now 30.  

I did not do an amnio, there was no point in it.  I read up on DS and prepared myself in case any of my baby's were, but the risk of miscarrying was too high for me to take the chance.  Either way I would never abort as I believe it's murder.

You don't HAVE to do the amnio, and in fact, my OB advised against it. 

• Cafe Amanda
    January 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Congrats - and hugs. Did your doctor suggest meeting with a genetic counselor to discuss everything?

hugs

• Pandapanda
    January 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I would refuse the amnio. At your 20 week anatomy scan, they will be able to see if there are any markers for Down Syndrome and it's much safer than the amnio. 

Also keep in mind that there is a very high false positive rate for the Quad Screen tests that actually test your chance for DS. 

• Mariah-1987
    January 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    This is my third baby and I have never done the ds test because I know it will not make a difference in the way I love my child. I wouldn't do the amnio. To many risks.
  • blessedmommie07
    January 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    Was it a blood test? I would ask for an ultrasound to confirm. I got an amnio done with my 3rd but that's because we were given a fatal diagnosis and wanted the amnio to be a 100% sure the doctors were right. We carried regardless but wanted to be sure. It was scary and I did have some cramping after. There should be another blood test around 16 weeks too. I would just wait for a 2nd test and ultrasound. *hugs*
  • NonnyRenee
    January 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM
    The test you probably had has a very high percentage of being inaccurate. And even the amino can give false positives. If it was me I would not do the amino and at the 20 week u/s I'd look for ds markers but honestly if one of my kids did have ds, knowing beforehand would not make a difference I would still have the child and love and care for them just the same
  • mem82
    by mem82
    January 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM

this

Quoting Pandapanda:

I would refuse the amnio. At your 20 week anatomy scan, they will be able to see if there are any markers for Down Syndrome and it's much safer than the amnio. 

Also keep in mind that there is a very high false positive rate for the Quad Screen tests that actually test your chance for DS. 

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN