kilahchaos
A story of induction gone wrong.
January 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

My friend wanted me to post this, after having an induction go very wrong. She wishes she were more informed! This is just so we all do our research before making rash decisions!!!

She was 38.6 weeks. She is a tiny little thing, around 5'1 and while pregnant only got up to about 130ish. She was so tired of being pregnant, the pain of carrying all of the weight, she wasnt used to it. She went with cervical checks starting at 35 weeks.... and to her dissapointment week after week, no dialation, no thinning. She began to think she was never going to have this baby.

She was having a lot of prodormal labor. We chatted almost everynight, and I told her to hang in there, and tried to give as much advice and support as I could.

At her last growth ultrasound around 37 weeks, baby was measuring around 6 and a half pounds. She thought that was plenty big enough for her!

She messaged me and told me she was going to call and ask to be induced, untill the doctor gave in, that she just couldnt take it anymore! I told her to try and wait it out, to be patient, that ultrasound measurements can be wrong, that there are many risks with induction. I sent her links and told her to please research before making a rash decision! But at the time it fell on deaf ears, she didnt want to do this anymore.

So the doctor gave in. She went in, and they started pitocin. Hours later, her water broke on its own, but she was barely at 1cm. 17 hours later, she was progressing soooo slowly. The babies heartrate went crazy. They wanted to do an emergency csection.

They took her in, and knocked her out (she was having epidural issues, she didnt want an epidural in the first place but the pitocin made her labor unbearable). She woke up, and her baby was in the NICU. He had the cord wrapped around his neck 3 times, came out not breathing. He was a tiny 5 pounds 4 ounces, and his lungs were not mature. It looked like his due date may have been off.

She wanted so badly to have her baby in her arms, but now she is recovering from a painful traumatic csection, with her baby having issues in the NICU. At this point she doesnt even know if she wants more kids.

PLEASE BE INFORMED! I know some inductions are easy and amazing, but please, just know the risks!!!!

Replies

• toopicky429
    January 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    The cord being wrapped around his neck had nothing to do with her induction. She probably would have needed a c-section anyway in that situation. I'll say a prayer for your friend and her new baby!
  • kilahchaos
    January 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

No, I agree with that. But the fact that his lungs were immature and he was so small makes me think she wasnt as far along as she thought and therefore shouldnt have been induced.

Thanks, I will pass it on :)

Quoting toopicky429:

The cord being wrapped around his neck had nothing to do with her induction. She probably would have needed a c-section anyway in that situation. I'll say a prayer for your friend and her new baby!

• toopicky429
    January 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    Early inductions are dangerous, and that absolutely is why his lungs weren't mature. Boys tend to have more issues than girls when born early. I was induced with both my children, but my OB let me hold out until I was almost 42 weeks.

Quoting kilahchaos:

No, I agree with that. But the fact that his lungs were immature and he was so small makes me think she wasnt as far along as she thought and therefore shouldnt have been induced.

Thanks, I will pass it on :)

Quoting toopicky429:

• Cynthje
    by Cynthje
    January 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM

this poor baby probably just wasnt ready to be born :( and thats where the main risk of elective ealry induction is. I just wish doctors would stop agreeing with it and moms would start educating themselves. 
    the cord probably had nothing to do with it 

• KatieGirls2
    January 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    I was induced with both my girls one was not so fun the other a breeze. I was also over due by over a week with both of them. I agree though be informed, know the risks!
  • Always1222
    January 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Poor, that must have been really scary for her. I hope she and baby are doing well. I definitely agree that people should gain as much info as possible to be prepared. thanks for posting.

• louzannalady
    January 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM

*hug* I am so sorry that happened to her and her child! I am sorry her doctor did not abide by the ACOG guidelines saying to not offer elective inductions before 39 weeks nor the ACOG guidelines on suspected fetal macrosomia. : *( Ladies, these warnings from March of Dimes and other health organizations are out there for a reason! : *( I am so very, very sorry this is happening!

• doulala
    by doulala
    January 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Sorry to hear.  
    That is awful, but there are worse stories around here.
    A LOT of women have avoidable-unnecessary interventions and some have small or serious complications and added risks.   (There have been very scary stories.)    :-(

• Erica_Smerica
    January 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I think more often (just from reading online, no actual research) it's the doctor's pushing for induction. But as far as the mom's pushing, I can't entirely blame the doctors for giving in. They shouldn't-- but it is us that hire them. If we're not happy with the care we receive, we won't be going back. And it seems to me like a lot of women choose their health care providers through word of mouth. <-- Not that any of that would make it right to induce, it does put an incentive for the doctor to do what the woman wants though.

Quoting Cynthje:

this poor baby probably just wasnt ready to be born :( and thats where the main risk of elective ealry induction is. I just wish doctors would stop agreeing with it and moms would start educating themselves. 
    the cord probably had nothing to do with it 

• Pandapanda
    January 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Comfort is never worth the risks that come with induction or cesarean. Never.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts