Pregnancy

pooh_williams
Cervical Check....
January 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Did anyone check there own cervix in late pregnancy? I ask because i was talking to a firend today and she asked me if i was dilating and i told her i did not know i have not been checked yet but i will be at my next apt on the 31st. She looked at me kinda oddly and goes oh you can check if your dilated yourself. Is that even safe? i was shocked by her statment so it got me to wondering has anyone ever done this befor?

Have you checked your cervix in late pregnancy?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 18% - yes
  2. 77% - no
  3. 4% - Other just incase lol

Replies

• mama-smurf
    January 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    No. My cervix is too high to where ov has hard time. Plus I can't get my hand there because of my big belly. Ill leave that up to my doctor.
  • BethRae
    by BethRae
    January 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    No!! Definitely not!
  • FelixFelicis
    January 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I have not, my cervix is too sensitive and I don't let anybody near it, lol. But I know you can and I don't think it's weird or odd at all. It's your body, you should know what goes on with it...I think, anyway.

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    January 21, 2013 at 11:27 PM

nope, never

• Heather2001
    January 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I don't let my doc check me nor do I check myself.  I don't want to risk introducing bacteria into that area.

• Denisethedaring
    January 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Well, I tried :) but I just wasn't able to maneuver around my belly successfully to go far enough down to find it!

• doulala
    by doulala
    January 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Absolutely, lots of women do this.
    But I don't have anyone check me at all in my pregnancies (myself included).    Too risky~
    Safest to avoid unnecessary risks.

Are you worrying about some complications?

• JadeTigr7
    January 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM

No, because knowing if I'm dilated or effaced means nothing, however I know how to check because I use cervical position when I track ovulation, so if I wanted I could.

My midwife doesn't do cervical checks at all.

• Randi02
    by Randi02
    January 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    This :)

I do it when TTC.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

No, because knowing if I'm dilated or effaced means nothing, however I know how to check because I use cervical position when I track ovulation, so if I wanted I could.

My midwife doesn't do cervical checks at all.

• Mrs.Andrews
    January 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Many women check their own cervix's for many reasons. For charting cycles, fertility, and during pregnancy. It is perfectly safe if you wash your hands first. No more risky than having your doctor do it, probably less as they are more likely to introduce germs that your body isn't used to. You would have to be checking throughout your pregnancy to tell dilation in the end of pregnancy. 

Pregnancy