Mom2five87
Question about CONTRACTIONS. For moms who have 3 or more kids....
January 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Did your Braxton Hicks contractions start sooner with each pregnancy? I am just wondering because I am 19 weeks with my 5th baby and yesterday afternoon (after walking on the treadmill) I started to have some tightening, cramping and my belly was getting really hard.... contractions. So I tried to rest, drank more water, waited an hour and then I called my OB's office because they still hadn't stopped. They told me if they didn't ease up in an hour or so, go in to the ER to get checked out. So by 7 pm, it still wasn't any better so I went to the ER.That was a waste of time. The doctor didn't even touch me... didn't feel my belly or anything. He ordered an ultrasound (not vaginal) and did blood work and urine tests. Everything came back good. BUT they never checked my cervix and they didn't do a vaginal ultrasound... so how can they say EVERYTHING is fine. I could have been starting to dilate or something and they wouldn't know. So then today I followed up at my OB's office.

I saw a different doctor than I normally do because my regular doc was delivering babies, one of the others was out of town and the other was on vacation. So there were only 2 in the office ... an OB and a PA. So I had to see the only available OB, who I don't really like. He said he could check my cervix if I wanted to just to make sure but he said that it was most likely BH contractions and perfectly normal. I was still having them all throughout the day today. That doesn't seem normal to me.... BH for a continuous 24 hours?! I thought they might do a vaginal ultrasound to check cervical length but he didn't mention it and I didn't ask. And I didn't let him check my cervix because that can get things irritated even more and he didn't seem too concerned so I didn't think it was necessary. He really only offered to do it to give me peace of mind, I think.

So anyway... at that point they had let up quite a bit. So I went to the store, picked my oldest up at school, came home and started making dinner and what do you know.... THEY'RE BACK! Cramping and tightening again. This SUCKS. I am so worried ... yet if I go to the ER or call my OB, they're just gonna tell me everything is fine. When I was at the doctor's office earlier, he said if they came back and progressively got WORSE, to call them. And he said something like it's not REAL contractions unless they are 5 minutes apart ... blah blah blah. But ... correct me if I'm wrong... if I start having them 5 minutes apart, isn't it kind of late to do anything at that point?! I would think they would have done a vaginal ultrasound to check my cervix. I don't understand why they didn't. When I was pregnant with my twins, they did that quite often because I have a history of pre-term labor.

So what do you all think? I don't wanna keep bugging them for nothing... but I can't stop worrying about it. I've never had BH this early. Not even with the twins.

Replies

• JadeTigr7
    January 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    They can check cervical length with a regular ultrasound.

I'm on my 5th pregnancy and I started getting BH contractions around 10 weeks.

There are ways to stop contractions, even if they are 5 min apart. Try to relax and stay hydrated.
  • Mom2five87
    January 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM

How do you stop them? I drink plenty of water. Idk what to do, other than that.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

There are ways to stop contractions, even if they are 5 min apart. Try to relax and stay hydrated.

• JadeTigr7
    January 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I don't stop them.  Eventually they go away.  I get them off and on all day.  I just make sure I'm taking in enough water.  They don't feel like real contractions so I know they aren't doing anything.

Quoting Mom2five87:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

• Mom2five87
    January 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Do you get cramps and tightening? Or just tightening? I always thought that BH were supposed to be painless so that's why the cramps WITH the tightness are worrying me.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I don't stop them.  Eventually they go away.  I get them off and on all day.  I just make sure I'm taking in enough water.  They don't feel like real contractions so I know they aren't doing anything.

Quoting Mom2five87:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

• JadeTigr7
    January 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Mine have always been painful, even wiht my 1st.

Quoting Mom2five87:

Do you get cramps and tightening? Or just tightening? I always thought that BH were supposed to be painless so that's why the cramps WITH the tightness are worrying me.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Quoting Mom2five87:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

• mrs.autry21
    January 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    It's not as many pregnancies as you had but it was my 4th pregnacy 2nd baby and my BH contractions started at 9 weeks! It felt like I had a baseball in my uterus. Drinking enough water like the other momma said is key. It doesn't help immediately but within 20-30 mins they should go away.
  • Mazie0723
    January 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I never experienced bh until after 30 weeks with any of my pregnancies and I am on number 7. I did however go into preterm labor twice with my 2nd once at 19 weeks and again at 22 weeks. My OB initially thought they were bh I am glad listened to my gut and went to L&D. Good Luck! 

• Mommyagain39
    January 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I never felt bh contractions with my first 3, so I am not really sure what they feel like. I had cramping with my 2nd on, felt like period cramps so I went to the Dr.  I was about 24 wks . I think, it was a w hole ago, she is 12!  but they took me up to labor and delivery and hooked me up to the monitors where they decided it was not labor....... I thought it was procedure to take any expectant mom that comes in the er straight to l&d.  but then my youngest is 8 so I see they do a lot of things differently now.  I would not let them silence your concern and blow you off, you have don e this video before and nobody knows your body like you . !!!!!  I would request the monitor for contractions, I kind of would discourage any penetrating procedure because it could make it worse....

I am cramping like crazy with this one, my 4th.  I am almost 32 wks, and have never cramped like this during pregnancy.  what my issue is, is that I sit up all day at work, aft about 3 hrs. I start cramping, by the time I go home I can hardly stand and when I get home I lay horizontal the rest of the evening, in the morning I start the process again. this has been going on all week! thank goodness for crackpots or my family wouldn't' t eat!!!!

• CjEmmemommy
    January 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM

No, I didn't have any until the last day or so with all 3.

• shell.bell
    January 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    Never had them with first and second. With my third they started at 19 weeks and with my 4th (current) they started at 16 weeks.
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts