Pregnancy

Featured Posts
Cmarie89
Overweight and pregnant
January 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Is anyone else overweight or obese and pregnant? How are you handling it. I've never been this heavy in my life and I'm scared I'm going to gain a lot of weight..

Replies

• SerenityBerry
    January 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I've always been an overweight woman, through both pregnancies. With the first one I gained 25 lbs with the second I actually lost weight. Both pregnancies were healthy and had no complications.

Just be mindful what you eat, remember that what you are eating is going to baby too, maybe that will help you eat healthier than you have previously and help you limit the gain. (I used to imagine a little kid eating whatever I was about to eat and if that mental picture looked wrong, then I would choose something else.)

Keep active and remember you do have to gain some weight, so don't make yourself crazy trying to avoid it.

• Emadele
    by Emadele
    January 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    I was considered obese at the beginning of both pregnancies. First one I started at 185. 2 days before I gave birth I was 242. I was HUGE. And felt it. :( had a healthy 8#8.5oz baby. Didn't lose the weight like I should have. Got preg with #2 at 210. Only gained 13#. Had a healthy 8#3oz baby. And now I've been dropping the weight like crazy and am down to 175 at 5mos pp. :)

My advice would be to eat healthy. Don't over eat. Stay away from sweet things. You're not really 'eating for two'. It's more like you're eating twice as healthy for the baby. :).

Good luck.

• XxPixiesworldxX
    January 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I was 229 pre pregnancy, im now 26 weeks and 245. Keep in mind that you are likely to gain SOME weight, that wont necessarily mean that you are gaining body fat because you will be gaining breast tissue/milk, placenta, extra blood volume, and baby of course. All of that can equal up to 15 pounds depending on the size of your baby near the end. 

Even with healthy eating (we are pretty organic over here, do a lot of juicing ect) I have still gained during this pregnancy just due to not being as mobile from pelvic symphysis and sciatica pains... I make sure to do a few small exercises on my exercise ball every night, lots of stretches... Walking long distances is out for me just because the pain from my pelvis and sciatica is almost unbearable most of the time (however stretches have helped combined with chiropractic).

Do you plan to breastfeed your baby? I will tell you that with my last pregnancy I gained a lot of weight, which is why I am so heavy NOW. However, after my son was born I lost 40 lbs in the first 2 months from breastfeeding alone, and another 20 from being on a very strict raw foods diet. I was still losing weight 3 years later with diet and exercise, when i became pregnant again... Breastfeeding helped me really burn a ton of calories and lost alot...

• arigdon4
    January 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    Im very overweight. When i had ds 2 and a half weeks ago i was 4 pounds lighter than my prepregnancy weight. Mind you, he was nearly a 10pound baby so he was always getting plenty. But i changed my diet when i got pregnant to be healthier for him.
    I lost 42pounds during my first trimester..i'm not 36pounds lighter than when i had him and still loosing.

Im not the rule, mind you, but i am still eating better and i FEEL better. And my doc told me that a lot of overweight mamas lose some weight during ppregnancy. Just watch out for gestational diabeates sp?
  • Jess__C
    by Jess__C
    January 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    Congratulations !!
    There's a book by Lindsey Brin " how to exercise when you're expecting" I also just bought a few videos for variety. Fit Mom by leisa hart. Fit& Firm pregnancy Dennis Austin
    And buns of steel pregnancy.
    It's hard to want to anything while pregnant but do 10/20 minutes really really does give you more energy. I don't know if this your first but keeping muscle tone can greatly improve your delivery. It's hard and it requires endurance so if you start now it'll be easier. Good luck.
  • LenaChristina
    January 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I was about 60 lbs overweight when I got pg with my first and gained 60 lbs beyond that. I had a textbook pregnancy and a textbook delivery. No issues. Between my first and second pregnancies, I lost 50 pounds, but was still somewhat overweight. Again, had a textbook pregnancy and only a couple of very minor complications during my delivery ( a quickly resolved shoulder dystocia and a slight pph). but gained 70 lbs during that pregnancy which I'm still working on getting off (DS is 7 mo old now).

My weight caused no issues. My doc was not at all concerned about my weight going in or my weight gain during my pregnancies. If I developed hypertension or other issues, she probably would have been concerned but as I said I had 2 easy pregnancies and 2 easy vaginal deliveries.

• pregomom468
    January 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM

im not overweight but my best friend who is over weight only gained 10 pounds her whole pregnancy

• LilByrd
    by LilByrd
    January 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I started at 200 with my 2nd and only gained 21 lbs. U will be fine. I the only problem I had was low fluid but the rest of the pregnacy was great. every pregnacy is diffrent. 

ting Cmarie89:

Yeah I'm scared that I may have to be on bed rest near the end, I'm only 8 weeks pregnant and 200 lbs. the doctor said I only need to gain 11-20 Lbs and idk if that's possible lol, I'm trying to walk but I'm just so tired and nauseous all I wanna do is sleep..

• DixonBabies
    January 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I'm 26 weeks pregnant today. I started at 214 and now I'm 228 at my last visit almost 4 weeks ago. I go Thursday for another visit and I'm scared shitless that I have gained a ton. Weight gain has been my worry since day one. Now that the holidays are over I'm trying my best to just eat as healthy as I can. I do have strong candy and soda cravings, and I give in sometimes, but if I have a huge gain I wont give in any more lol.

• Beautifulmom513
    January 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I was with my last pregnancy. I was 275 when I got pregnant. this pregnancy was not planned at all. we were totally shocked and suprised when I ended up pregnant. I never would have intentionally get pregnant at  that weight. I was scared. but I just had my daughter a few weeks ago and overall the pregnancy went very well. my dr was of course concerned about high blood preessure and diabetes and all that. but I never had any issues. he was very concerned about weight gain. he didn't want me gaining any weight at all. he wanted me to maintain or lose. I ended up losing weight. I had really bad morning sickness and a poor appetite I had to force myself to eat everyday. I ended up losing 40 lbs. towards the end of the pregnancy I started gaining a little bit back. once baby was born I was back down the 40 lbs. but as soon as I had her my appetite came right back and I felt better. I took advantage of it and quickly gained the 40 lbs back. but my pregnancy and even my labor and delivery went very well. I had my daughter in only 4 hours. even tho I had a good positive experience, I would never go thru it again. its just not healthy and I did feel it a lot more.

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts