Pregnancy

Cmarie89
Overweight and pregnant
January 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Is anyone else overweight or obese and pregnant? How are you handling it. I've never been this heavy in my life and I'm scared I'm going to gain a lot of weight..

Replies

• JocelynsMama1
    January 13, 2013 at 8:01 AM

one of my best friends is and shes in the hospital giving birth this weekend (induction) shes done jsut fine with it

• Pandapanda
    January 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I'm overweight for my own body- about 30lbs heavier than I should be to be healthy. 

• butterflycircle
    January 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM

With this pregnancy I had joind weight watchers just a few weeks before finding out I was pregnant. I weigh the most I have with this pregnancy. I started this pregnancy around 255ish. I hate being so big but I am working on it. I now am 31 1/2 weeks and weigh about 260 give or take a few lbs I haven't been to the dr in 3 or 4 weeks (I go Friday). 

My dr was totally ok if I didn't gain any weight or even lost weight. 

My advice is to make sure you eat just watch what you are eating. Snack on veggies and fruits and whole grains. Some times I have a little ice cream or a cookie or two, but it is not a regular thing. It is all about moderation. In the begining I needed to eat every 2 hours or more to keep the nausea away so I tried to just have small snacks and to keep them as healthy as I could tolerate. Also try to get some light exercise in like walking. 

• colins_mom
    January 13, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    I was 297 when I got pregnant. I weighed 275 3 days after delivery. I maintained that 297 throughout mt pregnancy and my dr was ok with that. I didnt have any issues at all except people not knowing I was pregnant and them making rude comments about my size :(

Just eat healthy and dont over stuff yourself, remember you need more nutrients not more food.

You'll be ok mama, just listen to your midwife/doctor as well as your gut instinct.

And congrats!
  • bshoemaker
    January 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    I started this pregnancy at 267 and i am now 270 at 22w2d. I was heavy eith my son but not his heavy. We weren't exactly trying for a baby this time. Unfortunately now I am fighting chronic hypertension this pregnancy and I am sure its due to my weight. I never had high BP before but now I have been fighting it since 10w. This was an eye opener and after this baby I am on diet and excerise reguardless of having time or not.
  • mommyof2kids306
    January 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    I'm over weight for my height but I'm not gaining any weight apparently the doctor isn't concerned either I'm 15 weeks ill eventually pick up some weight I hope not alot. My doctor hasn't commented to me about being over weight though

Quoting Cmarie89:

Is anyone else overweight or obese and pregnant? How are you handling it. I've never been this heavy in my life and I'm scared I'm going to gain a lot of weight..

• MammaKoi
    January 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I'm about 20lbs shy of 300lbs and just found out I'm pregnant after christmas. Its not easy and I have heard my SO tell me that I'm going to go over my limit ( love him but that comment still hurt). 

• Proud-mama-05
    January 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    Over your limit?

Quoting MammaKoi:

I'm about 20lbs shy of 300lbs and just found out I'm pregnant after christmas. Its not easy and I have heard my SO tell me that I'm going to go over my limit ( love him but that comment still hurt). 

• Proud-mama-05
    January 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    With my first pregnancy I started about 160 which was still considered overweight for me (I'm 5') and I gained about 70-80lbs with him (i was quitting smoking so I snacked when I craved a cig and would drink almost a gallon of whole milk a day lol) I never lost all the weight before my 2nd pregnancy and gained 25lbs with him. Was about 245-250 with my 3rd and only gained 15 with him and was pregnant again by the time he was 5month old and gained 10lbs with her. My youngest just turned 2 and I'm down to 242 (it was more but gained 10lbs during holidays) and still working on it and we will be trying to conceive in a few months and I know I'll still be overweight but I have gotten better about monitoring my eating habits and have an exercise routine so I'm not worried lol

I surprisingly never had any issue with GD or high BP with any of my pregnancies though so I was lucky but the extra weight does make end of pregnancy even more uncomfortable
  • Mom2five87
    January 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I'm 19 weeks pregnant with my 5th and right now I'm at 276. I was 261 before I got pregnant so I've gained 15 pounds so far. I've been having really bad cravings though and having a hard time ignoring them : (

I actually lost 107 pounds before this pregnancy so at this point, I am just trying not to gain too much and I'll just get back on the wagon and lose again after the baby is born.

Pregnancy