Pregnancy

Featured Posts
Cafe Jenn
Would you carry your daughter's babies?
January 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Grandmother Gives Birth to Her Own Twin Granddaughters

Posted by Mary Fischer 
on January 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

pregnant at the doctorThere have already been reported cases ofmoms carrying babies for their daughtersto help them fulfill their dream of motherhood, but one woman in Brazil definitely has those generous ladies beat.

Fifty-one-year-old Maria da Gloria just gave birth to her twin granddaughters earlier this week via C-section, making her daughter and the babies' mother, Fernanda Medeiros, one very happy lady.

Wow. Twins at 51 is impressive enough, but when they're you're own grandkids? Yeah, that's nothing short of amazing. (She wins the grandmother-of-the-year award for sure.)

And Maria definitely had a lot of time to think about being a surrogate for her daughter, because Fernanda had her uterus removed at the tender age of only 13. She said, "At the time, it was so sad because I had always wanted to be a mother."

More from The Stir: Mom Has Super Scary Delivery on Bathroom Floor After Hospital Sends Her Home (VIDEO)

A few years ago, she heard about another grandmother who had carried her own grandchild, and so she and her mother went to see a doctor, but were turned away because Maria was too old. But they didn't give up, and obviously they found another doctor who was willing to try -- and Maria became pregnant with her daughter's twins through IVF.

Every time I hear about a mother doing this for her daughter, I'm equally amazed, and I know I'd do the same thing for my own child (if I had a daughter, of course).

It must be unbearable to watch helplessly as your daughter aches to become a parent, so I can totally understand why moms like Maria jump at the chance to come to the rescue and carry their own grandbabies.

And considering just how close most grandparents are with their grandchildren when they arrive the old fashioned way, I can't even begin to imagine the bond Maria will share with those two little girls as they grow up.

It must be nothing short of incredible to carry your own children, give birth to them and watch them grow up, and then do it all over again with their children.

There's definitely no limit to a mother's love (not to mention a grandmother's!).

Would you carry your daughter's babies?

Image via Daquella manera/Flickr

Replies

• ACsLady
    by ACsLady
    January 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I can't say that I would. I'm not a fan of artificial means of conception or tampering with reproduction in general (birth control, family planning, etc.).

I believe the Lord opens and closes the womb. Obviously this daughter didn't have one anymore, so that's different. I still wouldn't go through IVF or anything though. I would do my best to support my daughter in other ways if she was unable to have her own children. It certainly wouldn't be easy to watch her go through such a hard time, but there are other options.

• virgochild79
    January 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Yes I would. I would do anything for my daughter.

• sissykay78
    January 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    In a heartbeat. I've been blessed with 5 babies and if one of my girls wasn't so lucky Id have no problem helping them!
  • mommy2casidee
    January 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    Absolutely!! I am a surrogate so I'd most certainly do it for my daughters.
  • mommy2casidee
    January 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    Ofcourse there are other options but only 1 option for a biological child. God puts people on this earth to carry out his duties and I whole heartly believe that's my purpose.

Quoting ACsLady:

I can't say that I would. I'm not a fan of artificial means of conception or tampering with reproduction in general (birth control, family planning, etc.).

I believe the Lord opens and closes the womb. Obviously this daughter didn't have one anymore, so that's different. I still wouldn't go through IVF or anything though. I would do my best to support my daughter in other ways if she was unable to have her own children. It certainly wouldn't be easy to watch her go through such a hard time, but there are other options.

• mama-smurf
    January 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    Nope.
  • sparklebug86
    January 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

no I dont think so

• JadeTigr7
    January 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I think that would depend.  I'm not sure if I'd be mentally or physically willing to carry another child in another 18-20 years from now.

• ACsLady
    by ACsLady
    January 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with someone being a surrogate or choosing to go the route this mother did for her daughter...just saying it's not something I'm comfortable with or would do.

I do believe that certain people are called to adopt or be surrogates or any of those things. It's not for everyone...but for those whose hearts are pulled that way, it's wonderful. I don't see myself ever adopting, but I know many families who have opened their homes and hearts and they have been tremendously blessed.

Just depends on what's right for each family.

Quoting mommy2casidee:

Ofcourse there are other options but only 1 option for a biological child. God puts people on this earth to carry out his duties and I whole heartly believe that's my purpose. 
  • Jstoddard98
    January 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Yup!  But hopefully she can carry her own :)

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN