Pregnancy

Featured Posts
sweetieiv
refusing an ultrasound. bad idea or is it ok?
January 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM
So I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and ofcourse the baby was so tiny and not developed but this ultrasound was to determine how far along I was. Then I had another ultrasound at 21 weeks and they told me I was having a girl. Nothing.g else was said. They gave me an appointment for another ultrasound which would be this Friday when I am 26weeks. I do not want another ultrasound though. I was disappointed with my second ultrasound because the tech didn't even tell me how the baby was doing. I kept asking "what are we looking at?" And she would respond a hand or the head or something but she seemed annoyed by my asking. I thought it was fair for me to ask because obviously I wanted to know and she was so quiet.then because we the baby was giving us her back, the tech had me turn to my side and the other side and after a while of trying and the baby not wanting to face us, she began to poke my belly in a kinda rough way. She began to push at my belly and it started to get painful. I am no medical professional but I don't think such force was necessary I mean the baby still decided to give us her back so why keep pushing at it? Anyways I was just so discouraged with everything and since I am not at high risk, I am seeing my doctor regularly and he said everything is going well with my pregnancy, blood pressure is normal, weight gain is normal, and no complications so far whatsoever I really don't want another ultrasound and I'm about to call and cancel. What do you think? Is it a bad idea to cancel? I really don't see the need for another ultrasound until maybe when I am more far along.

Replies

• gamelas
    by gamelas
    January 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

Its perfectly fine to refuse. I have placenta previa (Im 21 weeks). Normally they check the progress of my placenta at 26 weeks in this case but Ive refused another US until 32 weeks.There is just no point in it. 32 weeks for me is nessesary though bc they have to schedule c section for 37 weeks if it hasnt moved. Going into labor is a big no-no if my placenta doesnt move :)

placentas don't move, the uterus grows and so the location is different.  :)  and most previas are resolved by term. i hope you clear for a vaginal birth

• LaughingTattoo
    January 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Quoting gamelas:

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

Its perfectly fine to refuse. I have placenta previa (Im 21 weeks). Normally they check the progress of my placenta at 26 weeks in this case but Ive refused another US until 32 weeks.There is just no point in it. 32 weeks for me is nessesary though bc they have to schedule c section for 37 weeks if it hasnt moved. Going into labor is a big no-no if my placenta doesnt move :)

placentas don't move, the uterus grows and so the location is different.  :)  and most previas are resolved by term. i hope you clear for a vaginal birth

lol...thanks. This is new to me. Ive had 2 normal natural births and my soon to be former OB didnt explain any of this bs to me....the lovely ladies of this group did and then the nurse touched base on it when I called her.

• bebcarroll
    January 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    The techs at my OB were not allowed to tell us anything, except gender. Anything. So, when my sister's baby had an issue she had to find out at her next appointment form the doctor. You can always refuse an ultra sound, but the reason they rescheduled you was to get the parts of the anatomy scan that were missed. They cannot see the front of the baby they cannot check the heart and other abdominal structures. I f you are prepared to deal with anything that may crop up later then go ahead and turn this one down. The tech was that rough so that she could try to get the baby to move, or when that was not an option, she tried to get a different angle. Next, ask your doctor for the results from the ultrasound.
  • 1stTimeMom1982
    January 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I'd still go but ask for a different tech

• jesuschild06
    January 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM

there have been tons of studies on ultrasound (for1, they are so commonly used, why would they not?) and there is very little risk to the baby. The only real danger ultrasounds have is the heat they let out. And even that is so low, that it is safe for the baby. with the amniotic fluid constantly moving, it keeps the heat "mixed" (sorry, lost my words), so that it is not dangerous. Bone, does heat quicker than tissue, so later in the pregnancy it is more dangerous, but even then, as long as it is used propperly, and the doppler is not set on the same body part for a long period of time (a half hour or so) no damage is truely done. It is like any other medical equipment or medicine out there. You way the pros and cons. Is making sure your baby is growing properly worth the very little risk the ultrasound has? or not? It is 100% your choice. And you definately sound as though it is the technician you are not happy with, not the ultrasound itself.

I would call and make sure it is a different tech, and if not, request to see a differnt one. Even call and ask why they are wanting another one. What are they looking for? And ask what the benefits are of seeing specifically that. If there is something wrong with whatever they are looking for, will they be able to help correct it in the womb? Will there be different procedures done to make sure your baby stays healthy and growing if they see something wrong. Ask for as many details as possible. Good luck.

(sorry if you have stated any of these things in previous comments, i did not go through all of them.)

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN