Pregnancy

Featured Posts
Cafe Jenn
Would you get this suit?
January 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Suit That Monitors Baby's Breathing Takes Parenting Too Far

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber 
on January 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

cute sleeping babyIf you are/were anything like me, when your baby was first born, you checked to see if he or she was breathing 900 times a day. In fact, even though my daughter is 8 months old, I still do it. Yup, I brave the risk of waking her up just so I can get a clear glimpse of that little back or belly rising up and down. My husband thinks I'm insane. And maybe I am. But, I don't know, I'm a fan of peace of mind. In spite of my craziness, though, I'm still not convinced I need to dress my daughter in a"smart suit" that monitors her breathing. Seems a little ... sci-fci-y.

The purpose of the suits is to, obviously, prevent sudden infant death syndrome, which 4,500 babies die from in the U.S. each year. The way it works is rompers -- or baby suits -- are outfitted with aprinted circuit board and sensors that keep track of baby. Nothing is attached directly to the baby. It's all in the smart suit. 

Theoretically, this is a great idea. And it would save me plenty of battles against creaky floor boards and squeaky doors when I go to peek in on my girl. But it just seems weird.

One thing I've learned since becoming a mom is you have to choose your battles. And being that my daughter is still technically an infant, I'm not talking about "behavior" battles here. I'm talking about choosing what you're going to do and what you're not. And being okay with it.

Here's my example:

Months ago I learned that baby monitors emit low-levels of radiation (think that of a TV). And I freaked out. Because I use a monitor. And as it turned out, at the same time, my daughter started rolling around in her crib, getting her legs and arms stuck. After days of losing sleep over what to do -- and my husband telling me I was overreacting -- I decided to keep the monitor (though it's way over on the other side of the room now). I came to the conclusion that it's more important that I see that my child is okay, and can hear her, etc., than the radiation issue. (I know, it sounds insane saying anything is more important than "the radiation issue." But if you have a computer, TV, microwave, cellphone, etc. in your home, there's low levels of radiation.) And I'm okay with my decision. I'm not questioning it anymore. 

Same thing goes for one of these suits, I guess. You can get one, and I'm sure it'll be a great comfort. Or, you can not. And you can trust that your baby is okay, like most babies are okay (and, of course, constantly check on them). I'm all for protecting our kids as much as we can (almost to a fault, at times), but there needs to be a line. And that line can only be decided by you. And when you decide it, stick to it. 

Would you get this suit?

Image via footlooseity/Flickr

Replies

• GypsiSky
    January 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I think I would.

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Maybe if I had a bad scare, I would get one.

• louzannalady
    January 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM

What would the point be? I parent! I also do not own a crib for my kid to get an arm or leg stuck in.

• jessymoka
    January 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    I agree whole heartedly!
    When I became a mom, I didn't just sign up for daylight hours, I parent all night long too.
    Having a family bed is all the reassurance I need. I crack open and eye or lay my hand on baby's chest... See all is well, and blissfully go back to sleep.
    The USA is one of the very few countries in the world where co-sleeping is considered "taboo" or where there are so many of what I like to call "closet co-sleepers".

Quoting louzannalady:

What would the point be? I parent! I also do not own a crib for my kid to get an arm or leg stuck in.

• louzannalady
    January 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I have written these exact words! : ) I agree, it is so easy, to just put my hand on baby's chest (well, my six month old has decided to be a tummy sleeper, so his back) and feel baby's breathing, back to sleep I go. Baby fusses (doesn't even have to really wake up all the way) and I pop him on the boob and we both go back to sleep. So much easier and biologically sound! 

Quoting jessymoka:

I agree whole heartedly!
    When I became a mom, I didn't just sign up for daylight hours, I parent all night long too.
    Having a family bed is all the reassurance I need. I crack open and eye or lay my hand on baby's chest... See all is well, and blissfully go back to sleep.
    The USA is one of the very few countries in the world where co-sleeping is considered "taboo" or where there are so many of what I like to call "closet co-sleepers".

Quoting louzannalady:

• jessymoka
    January 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    EXACTLY!!!
    I've also always wondered why its okay for us to want the comfort and warmth of our spouses in bed, but expect our kids to sleep alone, especially when they are so fragile and completely helpless.
    And I agree, there is nothing easier then popping in the boobie and snoozing. It almost makes me feel lazy, lol. ;0)

Quoting louzannalady:

I have written these exact words! : ) I agree, it is so easy, to just put my hand on baby's chest (well, my six month old has decided to be a tummy sleeper, so his back) and feel baby's breathing, back to sleep I go. Baby fusses (doesn't even have to really wake up all the way) and I pop him on the boob and we both go back to sleep. So much easier and biologically sound! 

Quoting jessymoka:

I agree whole heartedly!

Quoting louzannalady:

• mama-smurf
    January 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    Yes I would. Peace of mind esp with other kids u have to take care of,
  • Devious103102
    January 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Nope. 

• MichaelsMom0711
    January 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    i dont think its a bad idea, especially if u have had a scare of if baby is a preemie, but i myself wouldnt need the suit, i do this anyway! with my son i was always waking up checking that his little chest was rising til he was almost 1! he turned 1 in July and i think i stopped around late May, early June!
  • MichaelsMom0711
    January 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    Quoting jessymoka:

thats true! I wonder why there are so many "closet co-sleepers"!!?? my SO was actually the one to bring our little guy in bed with us cuz he was sick and wanted to be close to us, then every time i'd try to get him back in the crib he would cry and my SO would get mad and bring him right back to bed! now were really in the habit of it and Im wondering whats going to happen when baby#2 gets here in July, i bet all 4 of us will be in the bed then unless Michael will go in a toddler bed by that time!

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts