Pregnancy

Featured Posts
katielawlor
HELP Charley horse..i think! *kinda long*
December 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM

The night before last I had been asleep for maybe an hour or 2. I woke up and went to turn over to my other side and when I did I stretched my legs a little. When I did I got the WORST Charley horse I've ever had in my life, in my left leg from knee to ankle. I could feel the muscle move to the top of my leg where the bone is! This one lasted about 4 or 5 minutes and I was rubbing and massaging the whole time to try and stop it. After it finally did I went back to sleep and didn't think to much of it.

All day yesterday it's hurt so bad I haven't been able to walk on it without a very noticeable limp. So every chance I had I sat and would try and massage it away. I noticed last night as I was getting in the shower that said leg is now about twice the size of the other. And yes ladies I have been taking Tylenol for it lol (thats like the pregnancy cure-all) but it didn't help. I also made an OB/GYN appointment but they wont see me until the 9th. 

My sister had this thing with her legs when she was pregnant. I can't remember what she said it was called, but it was something to do with swelling and pain. She had to be placed on bedrest because it causes seizures and even death in some cases. So now naturally with me being the hypocondriac that i am I've convinced myself it's something worse and I am going to die. Silly yes I know!

Has this happened to any of you? I could really use some reassurance and help making it go away.How do you get rid of your Charley horses fast? And do you think the swelling is normal after one? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    December 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    I would go to the er. It sounds like a blood clot.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    December 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    Bananas prevent cramps if it turns out to be nothing.
  • kblpooh
    by kblpooh
    December 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    I had a lot of Charley horses when I was pregnant but my leg never swelled. Did you tell the Dr your leg swelled? I would be concerned about a blood clot. I have had 2 friends who had blood clots in their leg and it was painful and swollen (they weren't pregnant at time).
  • B1Bomber
    December 29, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Sudden severe leg pain and swelling is a definite concern. Call your OB back and tell them all your symptoms, and if they won't see you immediately, go to L&D at the hospital. Those are signs of a blood clot (very common in pregnancy) and that can be extremely dangerous, even deadly.

Do not wait until Monday. If your OB doesn't have a nurse line, just go get checked out at L&D.

• butterflycircle
    December 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I agree, you don't want to wait over a week not knowing what this is. Even if it is the same thing your sister had and she was on bed rest, then you need to be seen and treated and diagnosed. 

Quoting B1Bomber:

Sudden severe leg pain and swelling is a definite concern. Call your OB back and tell them all your symptoms, and if they won't see you immediately, go to L&D at the hospital. Those are signs of a blood clot (very common in pregnancy) and that can be extremely dangerous, even deadly.

Do not wait until Monday. If your OB doesn't have a nurse line, just go get checked out at L&D.

• katielawlor
    December 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM

yes i did tell them all my symptoms and they didn't sound to concerned...lol this post was supposed to make my fears subside lol that kinda backfired! But thank you all for the advice! It's much appreciated

• Radellia
    December 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    Whenever I feel my leg start to seize up into a cramp, I stretch it - key to this is stretching heels down to elongate the muscle! If I stretch my toes out and shorten the muscle, I get that cramp almost immediately. I would say warm compresses to loosen the muscle also.

With all the swelling it sounds like your having, I'd go get it checked out by your doctor to make sure it's not something more serious than just a cramp.
  • juniebug11
    December 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM

This Happened to me. I got like 3 really bad cramps one night, I called my doctor. She told me she didn't want to see me, I couldn't walk on it for a week. My calf was so swollen . 2 months ago I had an ultrasound on my eg because there was this large purple lump on there, and they told me it was just reflex.

So 3 days ago, I started getting chest problems. My heart started fluttering really fast, I took my pulse it was 130, I called my doctor again. They think it may have to do with thyriods . I've also had insomnia for like my whole pregnency. 

But you could go to the ER and have it looked at.

• juniebug11
    December 29, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Quoting katielawlor:

yes i did tell them all my symptoms and they didn't sound to concerned...lol this post was supposed to make my fears subside lol that kinda backfired! But thank you all for the advice! It's much appreciated

Me to!! I called my OB and she acted like it was no big deal, just drink some water. My leg was swollen too, and it had changed colors. I was so worried about a blood clot but didn't go in , because my doctor told me not too. 

• trilliandent42
    December 29, 2012 at 4:28 PM

This, exactly...  In addition, if it is charly horses, which are common in pregnancy, get some Morton's Lite salt (lots of potassium in it), and eat about a 1/2 tsp. a day AND eat one banana a day.  This should help, but it sounds like your pregnancy is consuming your resources.  What prenatal vitamin are you taking? BUT- definitely get checked out first.  

Quoting Radellia:

Whenever I feel my leg start to seize up into a cramp, I stretch it - key to this is stretching heels down to elongate the muscle! If I stretch my toes out and shorten the muscle, I get that cramp almost immediately. I would say warm compresses to loosen the muscle also.

With all the swelling it sounds like your having, I'd go get it checked out by your doctor to make sure it's not something more serious than just a cramp.

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN