Cafe Jenn
Do you think it's wrong to make fun of weird baby names?
January 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Mocking Weird Baby Names Might Make You Racist

Posted by Kristen Chase 
on December 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Mocking weird baby names might make you racistIf you're like me, then you've probably heard at least one story about ridiculous baby names inspired by everything from car parts to female nether regions.

And I admit that I've done my fair share of eyerolling at weird celebrity baby names, like ones who name their kids after motor vehicles and grocery list items.

But according to this fascinating baby name article, mocking weird baby names might be racist. And I have to agree.

As Stephanie Pappas writes, the majority of names that people mock are often culturally based. In fact, many of the "weird" baby names listed in a recent Gawker article called 2012's Definitive List of Baby Names That Will Destroy Your Soul are actually common names in different countries and aren't even on the official name registry. Urban myth, anyone?

The idea that people are feeling less conformist and more willing to celebrate their culture or someone else's, even if it's just because they want a name that's different than the other babies in the nursery, is actually pretty awesome.

And in truth, how many of us really know someone with the names that so often get mocked, like "Neaveh" (which is the word "Heaven" backwards)? And as Pappas states, that name is probably similar to what the name "Hazel" was back in the 1890s -- a trendy, low-class name when it first emerged.

Who's to know if these so-called "weird" names will actually be weird in a few years? Kids are way less concerned about peers with different names than we are, probably because unique names are becoming the norm.

In a way, by mocking different kids' names, we're mocking diversity, which is just as bad as it sounds.

Do you think it's wrong to make fun of weird baby names?

Photo via tamakisono/Flickr

Replies

• Mommabearbergh
    January 3, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I think its wrong to  make fun of a childs name to me there is nothing funny about it. Its down right rude to me.

• emilyelephant
    January 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM

It is very rude. I think Naveah is a really pretty name and I feel like if it wasn't "heaven spelled backwards" it would be a lot more popular.

A lot of people told me the name we picked is "black" which is just racist. & her name is Ria Chantelle...Spanish and French...

• Pandapanda
    January 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM

No, I don't. 

Poor name choices are just that.. poor name choices. People don't consider their kids' future. At a job interview- who's more likely to get picked for the job solely based on name and presentation? Michael or Mahkynzi?

• ryryab
    by ryryab
    January 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Yes. My name is Ryan, and I was made fun of quite a bit, even by parents of my friends, because it's a boy name. It is a common name, but not for a girl. So yes, I think it is very wrong, because the child didn't choose it, and it might very well have special meaning to the parents. 

• addiesmommy1109
    January 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    I think it's terrible. My cousin is naming her baby boy Kaspian. Her grandma told her she absolutely despises the name and refuses to call him that. She says she will call him "Connor" or something normal. I feel bad for her because she loves the name .
  • MichaelsMom0711
    January 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    i think its kind of rude and mean because ur making fun of the baby/child in a sense. People's name choices are up to them and only them. I like more traditional names myself. My son is Michael Anthony and this next baby will be Kevin (dont know middle name yet) or Alissa Catherine, but that doesnt mean I'd laugh if the baby down the hall from me is Nevaeh or Apple or whatever else. Just like I name mine after family members, other people might use their unique names to represent something in their family or culture like the article says
  • MichaelsMom0711
    January 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    Quoting emilyelephant:

It is very rude. I think Naveah is a really pretty name and I feel like if it wasn't "heaven spelled backwards" it would be a lot more popular.

A lot of people told me the name we picked is "black" which is just racist. & her name is Ria Chantelle...Spanish and French...

i think thats a beautiful name! Theyre probably just mad cuz u thought of it first!
  • bshoemaker
    January 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I would be pissed if my grandma did something like that. I love the name Evangeline and using the nickname Evie and my aunt had the nerve to tell me it was an awful name and if I named my child that she would teach her to say, "Mommy why would you name me that?" I told her to bite my rear end and if she thought she was going to teach my child something like that she was dead wrong.

Quoting addiesmommy1109:

I think it's terrible. My cousin is naming her baby boy Kaspian. Her grandma told her she absolutely despises the name and refuses to call him that. She says she will call him "Connor" or something normal. I feel bad for her because she loves the name .

• emilyelephant
    January 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Wow. I'd just say "I guess you won't be seeing him/her then, huh?" My best friend constantly called her whatever classic name popped into her head.We didn't speak for 4 months until my dd was a month old 

Quoting bshoemaker:

I would be pissed if my grandma did something like that. I love the name Evangeline and using the nickname Evie and my aunt had the nerve to tell me it was an awful name and if I named my child that she would teach her to say, "Mommy why would you name me that?" I told her to bite my rear end and if she thought she was going to teach my child something like that she was dead wrong.

Quoting addiesmommy1109:

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Of course, I think it is wrong to make fun anything about someone, especially a child. BUT don't name your kid something that is going to give them issues later in life.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts