Pregnancy

Featured Posts
Mommap87
Discipline? Too Harsh? (OT) Opinions needed
December 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Im not pointing any fingers to anyone but I saw a post and im curious to see how many people agree or not agree with this disciplinary act.

A mother of 4 children (2,3,5,6 yr olds) has decided that her children dont deserve to have christmas because they took crayons and markers to a bassinet for her unborn child. Now Im sure as anyone would be pissed about this.

But with the children being so young, do you agree that taking every present for christmas you bought for them back to the store and having no presents under the tree at all is a good idea for discipline?

Why or why isnt it a good idea?

My personal opinion is No. Because these children are young and still have lots to learn. Sure they may know better but they are still in the age of not quite grasping WHY it happened. My 5 yr old has tried a similar thing, she thought it was fun and didnt look at the bigger picture that it would destroy the room and as a punishment I took their freedom in seperate rooms away and anything that involves markers, crayons, paints, or stickers is in my room only to be used when im watching.

Tell me your opinions on this, id love to know. Im not mentioning any names but im trying to get more open honest opinion on this. Thank you

Is this mother doing the right thing by taking all of christmas(gifts) away from her kids?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 8% - Yes
  2. 47% - No!
  3. 43% - Thats just wrong

Replies

• TTC2Long
    December 14, 2012 at 1:11 AM
    I'd be pissed, of course, but that's too much, especially for kids that young.
  • lovemyhoney19
    December 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM
    Awe they messed up but taking their Christmas away is so mean :(
    I'm sad for them.
  • rayroe2
    by rayroe2
    December 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I wouldn't return them. I would tell them they aren't getting any thing for Christmas. than their attitude and what not would change. Then I would surprise them and let them know they been good and to never to the other thing again or there really wouldn't be present under the tree because that isn't even what Christmas is about.

• doulala
    by doulala
    December 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Punishment (discipline) should fit the "crime."    Christmas is BIG to children so that sounds too extreme.    Plus Christmas is not the same day so it's too far off to connect with the behavior.   
    They should have to clean it~     And then the mom should learn to watch her kids more closely and help them to choose more wisely.    If they make mistakes then she can HELP them set things right again!

• monkeybelle83
    December 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I am hoping to raise my children to understand that Christmas isn't about how much stuff you get. However, if I had already instilled that this is what it is about in them, I wouldn't use it as a punishment because I wasn't supervising them properly. There are reasons that so many parents have rules like coloring only happens at the table, or no food anywhere but the kitchen.

• Teenmommy1119
    December 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    Christmas is HUGE for little kids. I honestly think that would scar them for the rest of their life, that's terrible!
  • hthrlcl
    by hthrlcl
    December 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM
    i think its to much. As the other moms pointed out christmas is to far away, and isnt going to remember what they did wrong, unless your reminding them everyday, and you (not you personally) wouldnt want to be reminded every single day of a mistake you made. And on top of that, i dont want my children to only be good because they are getting something. I want them to be good and do the right thing, because its the right thing to do. I would use it as a learning experience, a chance to teach them right from wrong
  • Rayawni
    by Rayawni
    December 14, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    We have a rule that paints, crayons, and glue are all done at the kitchen table. They are put away when not in use. Same goes for food unless I will be vacuuming then I don't care if they have a couple chips in the family room. Instead of punishing them that way I would make it a rule that they can only have it in a certain room and have them help me clean the mess up. Most crayons and markers are washable.
  • m0mmyheather
    December 14, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    The most they should have to do in my opinion is either help clean it off or work to make up the money to buy a new one. That's what my parents usually did to my sister and I. We'd have to work to "earn money" to replace what we'd ruined. Obviously it wasn't always really enough work to be equal to the value of what was broken, but we were punished and things got done around the house.
  • Mommap87
    December 14, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I do the same thing. If you dont have some type of routine or organization they will not learn from it. Stability is key in my opinion

Quoting Rayawni:

We have a rule that paints, crayons, and glue are all done at the kitchen table. They are put away when not in use. Same goes for food unless I will be vacuuming then I don't care if they have a couple chips in the family room. Instead of punishing them that way I would make it a rule that they can only have it in a certain room and have them help me clean the mess up. Most crayons and markers are washable.

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts