Pregnancy

Featured Posts
RaLeighsMommy11
Question!
December 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
I posted this in my due date group but wanted to post it here to!
I know that when pregnant women go into labor and go to the hospital the first thing they do is put your IV in. I completely get why they would want to put one in because if there was an emergency they don't want to have to take the time looking for a vein but my question is, why do they administer fluids through the IV and can you decline them? I didn't swell @ all with my dd until after I gave birth and my whole face & arms & legs were swollen! I know it was not from pushing cause I only pushed twice lol, and I was reading online that the fluids can make you swell. So my question is can I refuse the fluids & still have the IV in my arm just not hooked up?

Replies

• tiffs2009
    December 8, 2012 at 2:44 AM
    You can 100% refuse! You NEVER have to do something you are not comfortable with. They will say its "hospital policy" but they cannot make you do anything. If you want a shower, shower. If you want to walk then walk. They CAN NOT refuse a laboring woman nor enforce ANY procedure on a patient that says no, legally they cannot.

They cannot even make you have a c section even if you have had previous c sections. It's little known fact but if you say NO to something and they force it on you, you can sue.
  • Basherte
    December 8, 2012 at 6:49 AM

The fluids are mainly to keep you hydrated.

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts