Pregnancy

trilliandent42
Thanks to pinkiebabii, I found this information about formula feeding out! SCARY! PIOG
December 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Harmful to Baby:

1 Increased risk of asthma

2 Increased risk of allergy

3 Reduced cognitive development

4 Increased risk of acute

respiratory disease

5 Increased dental malformation

6 Increased risk for infection from

contaminated formula

7 Increased risk of nutrient

deficiencies

8 Increased risk of childhood

cancers

9 Increased risk of chronic diseases

10 Increased risk of diabetes

11 Increased risk of cardiovascular

disease

12 Increased risk of obesity

13 Increased risk of gastrointestinal

infections

14 Increased risk of mortality

15 Increased risk of otitismedia and

ear infections

16 Increased risk of side effects of

environmental contaminants

Replies

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    December 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

so because I formula feed I don't take good enough care of them?

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

I'm glad we have it for the very rare cases where a woman can't feed her baby or she dies before a child is old enough to wean but I don't know why anyone would choose to use it. I was formula fed because my mother thought breast feeding was gross and I had several of the issues on that list. Why bother having kids if you're not willing to take the best care of them you can?

• needsupport100
    December 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

my dd is 10, she was breast fed for 3 months, then formula and she's is healthy and holds honor roll status on her own and above her level with most tasks.

this is statistical information..........that doesn't mean it happens to everyone and how reliable is the source?

• silka08
    by silka08
    December 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Pretty accurate. I dont know her exact source but among the medical community these statistics are pretty much accepted by all.

Due to excellwnt marketing the average consumer has not accepted the info despite its accuracy.

Quoting needsupport100:

my dd is 10, she was breast fed for 3 months, then formula and she's is healthy and holds honor roll status on her own and above her level with most tasks.

this is statistical information..........that doesn't mean it happens to everyone and how reliable is the source?

• needsupport100
    December 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Quoting silka08:

Pretty accurate. I dont know her exact source but among the medical community these statistics are pretty much accepted by all.

Due to excellwnt marketing the average consumer has not accepted the info despite its accuracy.

Well, i'm not a big fan of statistics, yes they show that smoking causes lung cancer and other medical issues, well, drinking out of a warm plastic bottle can also cause cancers as well as too many and too bad sun burns, however, statistics are just that, they may have some people linked to xyz.  but remember back in the old days, the black plague (i think) there were a few people who were exposed but never came down with it because their genetic make up made their bodies able to fight it off. same with AIDS, it's not a death sentence to ALL. there are a few people who have come down with it, but bodies were able to fight it to the point they were clean again.

just cause these babies on these researches show that it was linked to drinking formula, doesn't mean the next baby will be affected.

in fact i wonder, does it say what KIND/BRAND of formula was studied, in addition to the ethinic background of the kids being studied (i highly doubt it).

• TTC2Long
    December 6, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    It's important to know the risks before making a major decision like this. It's also important to realize that annecdote does not equal data. Just because your kid has (so far) escaped developing these side effects doesn't mean you didn't take a gamble in using formula. That's why they're called "risks."

Thanks for sharing! :)
  • TTC2Long
    December 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    You just compared formula use to carcinogens, aids and the black plague. Just sayin.

Quoting needsupport100:

Quoting silka08:

Well, i'm not a big fan of statistics, yes they show that smoking causes lung cancer and other medical issues, well, drinking out of a warm plastic bottle can also cause cancers as well as too many and too bad sun burns, however, statistics are just that, they may have some people linked to xyz.  but remember back in the old days, the black plague (i think) there were a few people who were exposed but never came down with it because their genetic make up made their bodies able to fight it off. same with AIDS, it's not a death sentence to ALL. there are a few people who have come down with it, but bodies were able to fight it to the point they were clean again.

just cause these babies on these researches show that it was linked to drinking formula, doesn't mean the next baby will be affected.

in fact i wonder, does it say what KIND/BRAND of formula was studied, in addition to the ethinic background of the kids being studied (i highly doubt it).

• needsupport100
    December 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Quoting TTC2Long:

You just compared formula use to carcinogens, aids and the black plague. Just sayin.

it's all statistical information

• silka08
    by silka08
    December 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    Its a bit different than what youre thinking.

Lets take two kids. Baby A has genetic make up for allergies. Baby B does not. Baby A on formula has severe allergies. Baby B seems fine on formula. Baby A breastfed seems extremely healthy, albeit mild allergies. Baby B breastfed seems healthy, a couple less ear infections but nothing super noticeabke.

Yes, MANY factors come into play but its pretty undeniable that fpr the majority of humans breastmilk will make thrm THEIR best, but they cant be compared to each other due to too many variables. Breastmilk is our bilogical norm. Look at it this way, a newborn is born wirh incomplete immune system and breadtfeeding completes it. A baby is designed to be in the womb 37-42weeks, biological norm. While many preemies go onto be ok no one would suggest early delivery and living in an isollette is equal to being in the womb full twrm. While many preemies are fine, many have lifelong risks. No parent would intentionally have a preemie, but if it arises thank God for modern medicine and the fact that many preemies are strong.

Quoting needsupport100:

Quoting silka08:

• Randi02
    by Randi02
    December 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    You're not giving them the best start. You're feeding them something with known health risks.
    It doesn't mean you're a bad parent, but if you're choosing formula- you're not making the healthiest choice for your children.

Quoting Larsbug:

so because I formula feed I don't take good enough care of them?

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

I'm glad we have it for the very rare cases where a woman can't feed her baby or she dies before a child is old enough to wean but I don't know why anyone would choose to use it. I was formula fed because my mother thought breast feeding was gross and I had several of the issues on that list. Why bother having kids if you're not willing to take the best care of them you can?

• Randi02
    by Randi02
    December 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    Exactly. Breastfeeding is the natural continuation of pregnancy.It changes from feed to feed, and as they get older, to meet their changing needs. It is biologically tailored to each individual child. Formula is not... It's a dead substance that does not change.

Quoting silka08:

Its a bit different than what youre thinking.

Lets take two kids. Baby A has genetic make up for allergies. Baby B does not. Baby A on formula has severe allergies. Baby B seems fine on formula. Baby A breastfed seems extremely healthy, albeit mild allergies. Baby B breastfed seems healthy, a couple less ear infections but nothing super noticeabke.

Yes, MANY factors come into play but its pretty undeniable that fpr the majority of humans breastmilk will make thrm THEIR best, but they cant be compared to each other due to too many variables. Breastmilk is our bilogical norm. Look at it this way, a newborn is born wirh incomplete immune system and breadtfeeding completes it. A baby is designed to be in the womb 37-42weeks, biological norm. While many preemies go onto be ok no one would suggest early delivery and living in an isollette is equal to being in the womb full twrm. While many preemies are fine, many have lifelong risks. No parent would intentionally have a preemie, but if it arises thank God for modern medicine and the fact that many preemies are strong.

Quoting needsupport100:

Quoting silka08:

Pregnancy