D.Whitfield
Things You wished you knew about C-sections
November 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I have been doing alot of reading lately with c-section posts and am seeing the words... i wish i had known... used alot. I am scheduled for a c-section Jan 7th and am getting quite nervous about it. I had a very hard delivery and many complications with my DS during my first pregnancy, and with the issues i am having this time arround again the dr, DH and i decided the c-section was the safest route to go but hasnt calmed any of my fears about being cut open and i have no clue what to expect after. I am hoping some of the mom's out there can help with this. Any information would be great, am especially intrested in what to expect during the c-section, afterwards in the recovery, if anyone had issues nursing after having a c-setion, what you wish you had known before hand, or found surprising in the documents you signed, how long it was before you could get up and move arround after the c-section, what are some tips for bf while healing that you found helpful......... well the list goes on LOL in other words any info you have to offer would be a delight and a great help.

D

Replies

• anxiousschk
    November 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I've had friends who had successful C-sections, but I don't know anyone who has had one and sucessfully breast fed.  

I had a C-section and it wasn't a pleasant experience.  I also had extreme difficulty breastfeeding and gave it up after a few weeks. 

• jellybeanjean
    November 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I had a c section and didn't have any problems with my milk supply...

• Kristy728
    November 29, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    I had a c-section and EBF my DS for 2 years!!!
  • Roadfamily6now
    November 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM

i wish I knew before hand that having mutiple c-sections increases all kinds of risks.

• xredstarsx
    November 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    I had a c section and nursed dd for 6 months but that was fighting supply issues the whole time. It did take a long time for my milk to come in but that could have just been normal for me. After my vbac next month I will know for sure.
  • D.Whitfield
    November 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

i wish I knew before hand that having mutiple c-sections increases all kinds of risks.

what kind of risks? i know next to nothing despite having a friend go through a c-section a few years ago. She was a bit of a drama queen and gave the baby up for adoption so wasnt a topic she was willing to speak about at any time and what she spoke of stank of being over blown.

• theosgirl45
    November 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I have had two csections one emergency(a horribly painful experience) and one planned(not as pain, some pain but no where near as much as the first one).  During the csection(if you had a spinal like I did) you will be awake but completely numb for about just below your chest all the way down.  You will still feel some of what they do(mostly just a lot of pressure and pulling sensations) but won't feel a lot of pain.  Afterward, they will show you the baby and let you kiss him?her before taking the baby to the nursery to be cleaned up.  While that is happening you will be stitched?stapled up and put in post op for a little while(in my case it was about 30 minutes I think).  Then they will wheel u to your room and bring you the baby(if u want)  I was a little nauseous from the pain meds and didn't eat much after but they did bring me some food in case I wanted some.  They will let you hold the baby as much as you want( I didn't hold my son a whole lot for the first few hours cause I was a little shaky and weak still but I did hold him and cuddle him some)  I didn't breastfeed with this baby so I can't help you there sorry.  They came in about 12 hours after my csection and took out my catheter and had me walk around and is wasn't that bad, sore and painful but not as bad as my first.  If you have any other questions feel free to pm me I will help as much as I can.  Good Luck!

• puertoricangeek
    November 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM

They pulled my skin too tight and now I have problems where my scar is. I did get to BF but it took a lot of work. My recover was pretty smooth but was painful for about 6 months. I am due in June and I am looing for a VBAC. My c-section was unnessisary and I felt that I was forced into it. I honestly think I would prefer a very long hard labor in place of a c-section.

• D.Whitfield
    November 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Quoting anxiousschk:

I've had friends who had successful C-sections, but I don't know anyone who has had one and sucessfully breast fed.  

I had a C-section and it wasn't a pleasant experience.  I also had extreme difficulty breastfeeding and gave it up after a few weeks. 

thank you for this information, gives me a place to start in the over whelming information overload we call google lol

• needsupport100
    November 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM

my xsil had c section with all 3 of her kids and successfully breast fed afterward. her description was that she could feel the pressure, tugging (her daughter was stuck in her pelvic bone) but felt no pain. hurt to move around afterwards, but she healed quite nicely.

usually dad is standng there by mom's head (you wont be able to see anything past your chest-he will be able to) the doc will probably put up a curtain to hide your face from the procedure. but you'll hear everything, and the nurses will hold the baby up above the "curtain" for you to see him/her (usually).

i never had one, but my brother and i both were c babies. don't get yourself too worked up, they'll make sure you're good and numb before starting (say something if not) and USUALLY i have heard of 6 weeks for healing time for mom. i haven't personally witnessed any nightmarish events other than emergency c sections (xsil's first baby-went into emergency c cause her daughter was wedged in her pelvic)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts