Pregnancy

Featured Posts
Stephanie3804
Water birth?
November 22, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Those of you that have had a water birth can you share your experience? What did you like and not like about it? I was thinking about  a water birth this time, but I don't know much about it.

Replies

• Raeann11
    November 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I have yet to give birth in the water. I have tried three times. First time my midwife forgot to turn the heater off and when it was time to push. The water was way to hot for me. With my second the hospital did not allow it. My third, she was stuck on my pelvic bone and I got out to walk around and once I was on the couch she came to fast to get back in.

But I labored with all them. I could not labor without water. It is so relaxing and helps ease contractions.

• Emilytrademark
    November 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I haven't had one but want one, so here's a bump!

• vrbtnseele
    November 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    Bump, im interested too.
  • doulala
    by doulala
    November 23, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I had had waterbirths.    :-D  With my own experiences and those I have attended (home/birth center/hospital settings) only wonderful experiences so far!
    There are a lot of differences in those settings~ even with water laboring-delivering, but water enhances a peaceful, more comfortable and pleasant experience.

Water was really great to help with contractions, but I might have best liked it for preserving my personal space (no one looking at me down there, or touching me, or doing things to me). I love water births because moms (the ones that I have seen, anyhow) are always very calm. 

Waterbirth International

www.waterbirth.org/

• daughteroftruth
    November 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM
    My last birth was a water birth..compared to the others before it..it was awesome. My last labor was only 30min but very intense and the moment my body sunk into the water most of the pain calmed down, and the ring of fire was not as intense.
  • Bellarose0212
    November 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I had a waterbirth and loved it.

I felt absolutely better once I got into the tub. It's not as if it is pain medication or anything, but I remember being unable to get comfortable and feel bad before I got in and when I got in I was smiling and feeling better even though my labor stayed active and she was born just a little while later. It doesn't remove the pain, or, a more accurate word, intensity, but it is true management for the pain/intensity.

My husband swayed me back and forth in the water, which was great. I also put my ears under a few times to just listen to the jets and tune things out.

Baby was born gently into the water and went straight onto my chest. I had ZERO tearing even though I wasn't even fully dilated when I started pushing.

I am planning another waterbirth with this pregnancy.

The midwife drained the tub soon after I gave birth in order for me to deliver the placenta. I barely noticed delivering the placenta because I was still ooing and ahhing holding my baby. She had a hat on and a towel over us by that point to hold in body heat. So, I wasn't sitting in everything that came out at birth for long, but even had I been, I remember the water seeming clear still as it drained. This time, I will likely have to get out soon after because it won't be the kind of tub I can drain quickly in order to deliver the placenta (homebirth w/ inflatable tub as opposed to birth center birth with ceramic tub last time).

• One-n-Counting
    November 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM
    My second was born in a birthing tub. I loved it! It was like having a heating pad all around my body. I labored 3 of the 4 1/2 hours and pushed him out in the water. My husband jumped in with me and held me while i pushed. To me it was peaceful and relaxing... Not one thing about it that I didn't like.
  • kmqw229
    by kmqw229
    November 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    I had 2 vaginal hospital births, then a hospital water birth in June.

Being in the water really helped me relax. My body took over & pushed without being told. After the birth, they made me climb out of the birthing tub to push out the placenta - I thought that was kind of weird.

The worst part for me is that I didn't have any where to hold on & I was kind of sliding around. The best part was pulling my baby out of the water and putting him on me - it was AMAZING!

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN