Pregnancy

Momma2013
Circumcision...
November 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM

If you are pregnant you need to look into this. Please don't just do it because "everyone is doing it" Get educated and know what you're doing... I'm still not decided but pretty sure we will not be doing it to our son. This is not for an argument but just to remind you there are many things you need to look into and know before you just let some stranger take your newborn! Check out this youtube video of a guys first time experiencing it... http://youtu.be/F7DgceWbsSY

You can also see videos of the actual procedure on youtube if you look for them to see how they are done.

If you think circumcision is the best option for you and your family please let your dr. know you want your son to have an anesthetic.

Replies

• norahsmommy
    November 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    I just could not do that to my son. The idea of having it done made me sick. He is intact ( natural) and happy and healthy.
  • mama-smurf
    November 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    My son is circumsized and i wouldnt have it any other way. Hes happy and healthy. :D
  • Onesecsmile
    November 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    I couldn't do it either.

Quoting norahsmommy:

I just could not do that to my son. The idea of having it done made me sick. He is intact ( natural) and happy and healthy.

• YzmaRocks
    November 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    Those videos are not even close to how it happens. At least not in my experience and I have watched it being done on my own child. I think those are out there for the drama.

But I do agree, it is not a decision to be taken lightly. Parents should educate themselves and consider it carefully because once done, it cannot be undone. I researched very carefully before deciding that my sons would be circumcised.
  • kcangel63
    November 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

We circumcise with a Mohel on the 8th day for our religious beliefs (not Jewish though).  I know what it entails because my DH and I were with our sons (holding them) during the procedure. It's not something we took lightly.  We studied and prayed for months before making the decision.  

• Randi02
    by Randi02
    November 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

New Study Estimates Neonatal Circumcision Death Rate Higher Than Suffocation and Auto Accidents

More than half of parents in DC, Maryland, and Virginia choose to circumcise their boys. But are these parents ever really informed of the possible complications? Generally, no, and this failure in the informed consent process has significant consequences for many boys, for example the penile injuries discussed by a local pediatric urologist in this article.

But this physician sees only boys who live. How many children die each year as a result of circumcision in the US hasn't been recorded or even considered important by any medical establishment. A new study published last week in Thymos: Journal of Boyhood Studies estimates that more than 100 baby boys die from circumcision complications each year, including from anesthesia reaction, stroke, hemorrhage, and infection. Because infant circumcision is elective, all of these deaths are avoidable.

The study concluded: "These boys died because physicians have been either complicit or duplicitous, and because parents ignorantly said 'Yes,' or lacked the courage to say 'No.'" And called the deaths "an
    unrecognized sacrifice of innocents."

The study found that approximately 117 neonatal (first 28 days after birth) circumcision-related deaths occur annually in the United States, one out of every 77 male neonatal deaths. The study also identified
    reasons why accurate data on these deaths are not available, some of the obstacles to preventing these deaths, and some solutions to overcome them.

To put this in perspective, about 44 neonatal boys die each year from suffocation, and 8 from auto accidents. About 115 neonatal boys die annually from SIDS, nearly the same as from circumcision.

• orangeshirt
    November 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    If your doctor tells you that, your doctor doesn't research fully. I'm not arguing whether you feel you have a right, but there is no factual evidence to prove that an intact male who is taught proper hygiene for an intact penis is any dirtier or worse off.

Quoting kimmie3577:

Well first off it is up to the parent of that child, everyone has a right to do what they want, if i have a boy i will be having it done.... if you ask a doctor they said it is cleaner and better for them to have it done... but like i said it is up to the mother of the child ...

• bakerwife09
    November 17, 2012 at 2:17 PM

my son will have it done his daddy didnt til he was 6yrs old and he was tramatized from it for a long time 

• lillucky8
    November 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    Educating yourself is always the best tool to help make a decision!
  • rnchelle93
    November 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    I have, which is why, if I have a boy, he will be circumcised.

Pregnancy