Pregnancy

Featured Posts
KeiraRose
Birth plan or no birth plan that is the question.
November 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

So what's your take on it?  I'm thinking of writing one just in case for whatever reason my midwife isn't there while I'm in labor. Have you ever written one? Would it just be a waste of time for me to write one and print out a few copies?

Should I even bother writing a birth plan?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 30% - No there's just no point in doing so.
  2. 45% - Yes. I did it and it made the whole experience much easier.
  3. 24% - No idea, I never thought of writing one.

Replies

• tuckermum
    November 7, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    I think making one is a good idea it kinda helps you decide exactly how you want your experience. But idk if they are really useful or helpful because this will be my first delivery.
  • Rayawni
    by Rayawni
    November 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    I consider them a jinx. Know what you want to happen and discuss it with your nurse. Everytime a patient brings one in, it never goes according to that plan! One of my patients ended up with a Csection! Always makes me feel bad.
  • sj3starz
    November 7, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    I think making one will help you educate yourself on so much more. Looking up examples and such you may find things you'd never heard of and then get to learn about. I found that knowledge and preparedness (even if it's not "to plan") really helps.
  • rnchelle93
    November 7, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    I will be working on writing it out with my Dr. Even if things don't go as planned, it gives me a measure of control and that is something I desperately need. That way, my Dr will know how I feel about procedures and medications, so she can act accordingly, even if it doesn't go exactly as planned.
  • Mrs.Andrews
    November 8, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I answered yes but mine didn't help me. I ended up having to be induced so most of my plan went out of the window and none of the staff even read it. I prefer to have a birth plan more as a tool to help me research things and for my support team to know where I stand on issues. I also try to birth as naturally as possible for the circumstance so there are a lot of regular policies that I would go against. It helps to have it written down to remind me what is what. And it is a good tool for going over with the doctor before hand.

• Oceana09
    November 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I did with my first one. I had an awesome book to follow for example. Now I need to write another one, the previous one has been lost, and I have gotten rid of the book. I've been trying to follow some online but they just seem weird to me. So I may just have to go off what I remember and hope that I don't forget anything. 

• Ginnygurl97
    November 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM
    I didn't do one w my first son cuz it was a whirlwind birth. He came a little early and I was induced. Being my first time I thought I had time. This time I'm not gonna bother. I know now that even if I did one chances are it wouldn't go exactly as I want. Nothing ever does :-( I know what my limits are and what I will and will not tolerate. I think voicing that this time will be more effective than a piece of paper.

But I do agree with doing one as a means to help research and educate yourself. That way you're not completely in the hands of someone else when it happens.
  • doulala
    by doulala
    November 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

There are several important reasons to make-have one, so it's worth doing!
    :-)

Even if your MW is there, you'll still be attended by strangers (if in the hospital-- which is among possibilities even if unplanned), you will learn a lot about your options while creating the BP, and you can use it as evidence should there be a dispute at a later point, too.

GL!

• louzannalady
    November 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM
    Here is some information on what a birth plan can do for you and how to about writing one, if you decide you would like one.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17488367/Birth_plans?use_mobile=0
  • Heather2001
    November 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Absolutely have one.  Even a short one.  That way your caregivers know your preferences.

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts