Pregnancy

amber710
Maternity Leave: Did you/will you use it for the last few weeks of your pregnancy or only postpartum?
October 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I am 32 weeks and starting to get uncomfortable at my job. I am having alot of lower back and leg/hip pain. My doctor wrote me a letter for my employer saying that I was physically unable to keep working. I could give it to her and be able to start my maternity leave. But my original plan was to work until the day I had the baby so that we wouldn't lose the income until we had to.

I am a janitor. I only work Friday-Sunday and they do let me take breaks when I need them. I don't think it will cause any injury or harm for me to stay there, I am just uncomfortable and tired.

Would you start maternity leave or just hang in there until the baby arrives?

When did you/ will you start maternity leave?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 25% - Before the baby is born- taking the last few weeks of my pregnancy off.
  2. 48% - Only after the baby is born- only using maternity leave for recovery.
  3. 25% - Other

Replies

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    October 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I didn't have the option of maternity leave  :0)  SAHM... honestly it's up to you. If you feel you need the income then keep working but take it super easy and don't over-exert yourself, however if you and your doctor feel it will be better for you to start maternity leave now then do it

• meam4444
    October 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM

here is a bump for you

• QJsmommy
    October 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    I called out and started mine today.. I am 38 weeks, one day.. I am a cna so it's been too much for me..
  • amy31308
    October 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    With my son I work til 36 or 37 weeks.. With my dd I was a SAHM.
  • Onesecsmile
    October 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    I took the 4 weeks off before my delivery date! There is no way I could have stuck out until the end! I'm due October 24th and pretty much bored out of my mind but it beats having to work full time and feeling miserable!
  • orangeshirt
    October 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    I chose other. With my last, I was on bed rest from 26 weeks on, so I had to take my maternity leave pre-birth. I no longer work outside the home.
  • RhondaVeggie
    October 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    I planned on working till I delivered but l wound up finishing on my due date. I was working retail and customers kept asking me when I was due. I wasn't about to tell them I was a week overdue.
  • lillucky8
    October 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    With dd my labor started at work, with ds i felt really sick so i decided to start my leave at 39wks 4 days and he was born 39wks 6days.
  • LucyHarper
    October 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I'm 36 weeks tomorrow, I'm continuing to work until the baby is born. I'm a waitress at a diner, I work monday to friday right now from 7:30-12:30. I'm having a relatively easy pregnancy, I'm slightly high risk because of I'm low weight, but the doctor says I'm safe to work as long as thats the only serious moving around I do during the day, so I just have to take it easy, no running around, staying sitting or laying down as much as possible during the rest of the day and on the weekends. My boss and coworkers are really cool and don't let me lift anything too heavy, like if its a big order, someone will get it for me, but otherwise I'm prefectly capable of working, besides having to pee a lot and having minor back pain, and I really want to save my maternity leave for when I have the baby, so I can spend as much time with them as possible before going back to work, plus we want to save up as much as possible before the baby comes, so I'm working up until I give birth, but start now if your back is really hurting.

• kblpooh
    by kblpooh
    October 8, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    I worked up until I delivered every time so I could have the time with the baby. My daughters came 2 days after my due date and my son arrived 2 weeks early causing a lot of panic for me related to work. I wasn't ready!

Pregnancy