gumeshoe
How to be a good little girl, per the hospital. I'm not a good girl. *** UPDATE
October 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

UPDATED INFO FOR THOSE WHO HAVE MISREAD **** I never said I know more than my doctor.

I EXPECT informed consent to be a requirement before any procedure, just like any other thing you go to the hospital for. They tell you the options the ones they like, the ones they don't like, risks and benefits and I get to choose. THEY EDUCATE, I CHOOSE.

If anyone wants to go on faith and blindly accept anything they want, that is fine I won't stop you. That is your business. You get your choices, I get mine.

I might wear the stupid hospital gown, but I don't want to be bullied into it. I don't know what I will feel most comfortable in, until I get there. But it is really funny that some think  that bulling is ok in the hospital, but not in school's?

My dr wanted me to go in today to L&D to get an NST because he thinks I am 42 weeks, I think that I am 39 weeks. Late ultrasounds vs LMP. Did NST Thursday, Tues, Thursday, today on Sunday, and then have appt to go back on Tuesday. So we have done this for a while. I don't think they are really needed, I am just going along with some of his wishes. I have told him NO on induction. Just keeping the peace really going along with the NST's.

While at the hospital they give me a pamphlet on how to be a good patient.

Admission. Upon arrival to the childbirth suite you will be INSTRUCTED to change into a hospital gown ... A vaginal exam will be done to see if your cervix is ready for the baby to come.
It says not to worry we are assessing your baby continuously. IE STAY IN BED WITH THE NST MONITORS ON AT ALL TIMES.

You are staying to deliver your baby. IV fluids WILL BE STARTED in your hand or arm. This will help in the prevention of dehydration and/or low blood sugar.

Can I eat or drink? While you are in active labor most physicians WILL ONLY ALLOW clear liquids and ice.

Vaginal Delivery. When your cervix if fully dilated you WILL BE INSTRUCTED to start pushing....If the baby appears healthy and is breathing well, he may be placed on your stomach.

I was asked if I had any instructions for the nursery. I said I didn't plan on my child going to the nursery. THE BABY CAN'T BE IN YOUR ROOM UNLESS SOMEONE IS AWAKE is what I was told. Hubby said I will be here and be awake if she isn't.

I think me being comfortable, wearing what I want because I am not sick, being able to move is going to do more to progress my labor than you hooking me to a useless machine for the duration. Laying on my back in pain not moving isn't going to fly. You might get 20 mins. Might. I sure am not allowing you to start a non medically needed IV, I am giving birth I am not SICK. I will prevent dehydration and low blood sugar the old fashioned way. And I am pretty sure I will know when I need to push. Why do you believe that my cervix is just yours to grope as you please? I mean really the baby is going to come regardless if you check or not. PS you have no rights over my child and where he will be. He needs to come to me immediately. You don't get to tell me how soon I can see him or when I get to have him in my room. He is MINE. He will be with a parent at all times. (he has an umbilical cord and if anything is wrong, you need to leave it intact to allow you time to work on him vs detaching him from his built in life support)

It is silly in this day and age that hospitals think they get to dictate your birth. They use words to make it sound like you have no options. I didn't bother addressing any of this today. No need to start issues early. But Hubby is like wait a min who do they think they are. You can ask, you can suggest, you don't get to demand. Too bad home births are not legal in my state. But after today, Hubby FULLY understands why you would not want to get to the hospital early.

Replies

• slupinski
    October 12, 2012 at 6:26 AM
    I absolutely love this!!! Very sorry you have to go through this, but its reactions like this that are needed to get some change going! I was fortunate enough to be able and have a home birth. Are there birthing centers near you?
    I hope it goes smooth for you, and you fight for your delivery the way you want/deserve to have it!
  • orangeshirt
    October 12, 2012 at 7:33 AM
    Neither is an option for her. Legally in NC, home birth midwives must be overseen by a licensed OB, but this past summer, they revoked the ability of the only two OBs in the state that had been overseeing them to do so any longer. No doctors have taken their places, so essentially an attended home birth would be illegal. And her husband is not comfortable with a UC. There are no birth centers in her area. NC is notorious for limiting women's birth options and she has fallen victim to that "witch hunt".
    Quoting Heather2001:

If you don't want the hospital ride, don't buy the ticket.  Homebirths and birth center births are on the rise!

• supercarp
    October 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Some women just want to make a big deal out of everything, probably out of a need to be noticed. I had 3 children, did what I was told went home. I witnessed others being a pain in the neck. I have worked in a hospital and seen stupid women threatening to pull out their i.v.'s giving the nurses a hard time and in general making everyone else miserable.  

• circle_of_life
    October 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Being informed and refusing unnecessary interventions is not prompted from a "need to be noticed". You are actually proud of the fact that you did as you were told and went home instead of being informed and educated about your choices? That's sad.

Quoting supercarp:

Some women just want to make a big deal out of everything, probably out of a need to be noticed. I had 3 children, did what I was told went home. I witnessed others being a pain in the neck. I have worked in a hospital and seen stupid women threatening to pull out their i.v.'s giving the nurses a hard time and in general making everyone else miserable.  

• supercarp
    October 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM

The reason they put an i.v. in when you get to the hospital is because if you hemmorhage, there may not be time to get an i.v. started before you die. I have witnessed a lot of difficulty getting i.v.'s started. Don't assume your child's birth will go smoothly, even if you've had prior children. Things sometimes go wrong. It's incredible that so many babies are born without problems, considering everything that could go wrong.

• supercarp
    October 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Where did you go to medical school?

• circle_of_life
    October 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM

You don't have to go to medical school to be informed and educated about whats going on with your own body and whats best for you and your baby. OBs are trained surgeons, they aren't even trained in what a natural, intervention free birth is like. That is NOT their area of expertise, and yet sheeple think they should just lay back and do whatever they're told without question! That's a mistake! That is why this country has such a miserable infant and maternal mortality rate compared to other developed countries. Do some research! Oh wait, I forgot, you won't educate yourself since you aren't a dr...

Quoting supercarp:

Where did you go to medical school?

• gumeshoe
    October 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM

So how do countries with the best maternal outcomes rarely have IV's, rarely even set foot in a hospital and avoid other non evidence based protocols some hospitals still demand?

How does Holland have 85% of babies at home, without IV's and have far better outcomes on birth that we do? You know we have the worst outcome rate of the industrialized countries. No one is knocking on our door to see how we do so well, because we as a country do POORLY. Besides being at home without silly procedures, birth in Holland is a lot safer and cheaper. How are they spending less money on it and doing less and women aren't just falling over dead?

Birth is the #1 money maker in hospitals in the US. Unneeded billable procedures, are their bread and butter, they don't want to just do them when needed, that would cut their money drastically. I don't know why there is the attitude in the US the more money we spend, the more gadgets we buy, the more there is, the better it is.  And if the maternity ward of the hospital can't get IV's in in an emergency, the hospital should not have a maternity ward. Because of lack of trained professionals. The ER can do it, EMT's do it on the interstate in the freezing rain in the dark.

Its amazing that birth is so problematic in the US and not in Holland.

Quoting supercarp:

The reason they put an i.v. in when you get to the hospital is because if you hemmorhage, there may not be time to get an i.v. started before you die. I have witnessed a lot of difficulty getting i.v.'s started. Don't assume your child's birth will go smoothly, even if you've had prior children. Things sometimes go wrong. It's incredible that so many babies are born without problems, considering everything that could go wrong.

• staciexo
    October 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    You should have had a home birth. All the things yoiu are complaining about wouldnt happen at home with a midwife. My first was in the hospital, second at home. It was wayyy better the seond time around!
  • Crymsm
    by Crymsm
    October 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Ha I loved how my doc kept telling me I had awhile before I pushed.  So I asked for that shot in the back to just take the edge off and 5 minutes later bam!  The urge to push and I was like tell my doc this kid is coming now and he did...and teh shot made me itch like  a son of a gun omg....

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts