Pregnancy

Featured Posts
gumeshoe
How to be a good little girl, per the hospital. I'm not a good girl. *** UPDATE
October 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

UPDATED INFO FOR THOSE WHO HAVE MISREAD **** I never said I know more than my doctor.

I EXPECT informed consent to be a requirement before any procedure, just like any other thing you go to the hospital for. They tell you the options the ones they like, the ones they don't like, risks and benefits and I get to choose. THEY EDUCATE, I CHOOSE.

If anyone wants to go on faith and blindly accept anything they want, that is fine I won't stop you. That is your business. You get your choices, I get mine.

I might wear the stupid hospital gown, but I don't want to be bullied into it. I don't know what I will feel most comfortable in, until I get there. But it is really funny that some think  that bulling is ok in the hospital, but not in school's?

My dr wanted me to go in today to L&D to get an NST because he thinks I am 42 weeks, I think that I am 39 weeks. Late ultrasounds vs LMP. Did NST Thursday, Tues, Thursday, today on Sunday, and then have appt to go back on Tuesday. So we have done this for a while. I don't think they are really needed, I am just going along with some of his wishes. I have told him NO on induction. Just keeping the peace really going along with the NST's.

While at the hospital they give me a pamphlet on how to be a good patient.

Admission. Upon arrival to the childbirth suite you will be INSTRUCTED to change into a hospital gown ... A vaginal exam will be done to see if your cervix is ready for the baby to come.
It says not to worry we are assessing your baby continuously. IE STAY IN BED WITH THE NST MONITORS ON AT ALL TIMES.

You are staying to deliver your baby. IV fluids WILL BE STARTED in your hand or arm. This will help in the prevention of dehydration and/or low blood sugar.

Can I eat or drink? While you are in active labor most physicians WILL ONLY ALLOW clear liquids and ice.

Vaginal Delivery. When your cervix if fully dilated you WILL BE INSTRUCTED to start pushing....If the baby appears healthy and is breathing well, he may be placed on your stomach.

I was asked if I had any instructions for the nursery. I said I didn't plan on my child going to the nursery. THE BABY CAN'T BE IN YOUR ROOM UNLESS SOMEONE IS AWAKE is what I was told. Hubby said I will be here and be awake if she isn't.

I think me being comfortable, wearing what I want because I am not sick, being able to move is going to do more to progress my labor than you hooking me to a useless machine for the duration. Laying on my back in pain not moving isn't going to fly. You might get 20 mins. Might. I sure am not allowing you to start a non medically needed IV, I am giving birth I am not SICK. I will prevent dehydration and low blood sugar the old fashioned way. And I am pretty sure I will know when I need to push. Why do you believe that my cervix is just yours to grope as you please? I mean really the baby is going to come regardless if you check or not. PS you have no rights over my child and where he will be. He needs to come to me immediately. You don't get to tell me how soon I can see him or when I get to have him in my room. He is MINE. He will be with a parent at all times. (he has an umbilical cord and if anything is wrong, you need to leave it intact to allow you time to work on him vs detaching him from his built in life support)

It is silly in this day and age that hospitals think they get to dictate your birth. They use words to make it sound like you have no options. I didn't bother addressing any of this today. No need to start issues early. But Hubby is like wait a min who do they think they are. You can ask, you can suggest, you don't get to demand. Too bad home births are not legal in my state. But after today, Hubby FULLY understands why you would not want to get to the hospital early.

Replies

• anxiousschk
    October 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I dehydrate pretty easily, so I don't know that I will be avoiding the IV.    My dehydration was an issue with my first birth and that was a C-section, with IV fluids.

I'm curious about the GBS...is that short for group B strep?  Why do you not want that test?  

• gumeshoe
    October 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Group B Strep, yep. No test because my kid is far more likely to get ebola in the hospital than GBS from me. Also the treatment really doesn't improve the outcome of kids that get GBS. There are studies in areas that have stopped testing for a while then tested again. The numbers didn't change. Positive today isn't positive tomorrow. Antibotic usage in newborns makes that newborn even more likely to get ebola or something horrible for the first 3 months because antibotics kill good and bad. Almost guarantees they will have thrush.

Same reason you have a uti you get antibotics, next thing you know you have a yeast infection. Trying to get rid of something, gives you something else. I did get a UTI this pregnancy with no symptoms. But I ate my probiotics like they where going out of style inbetween doses of antibiotics. I didn't want to suffer the damages that antibotics can do to an adults system, much less a tiny delicate babies system. I take probiotics on a regular basis. I would rather stack my cards in favor of the good bugs, and not just kill all the bugs because of a unknown maybe.

Thing is there is no proof either way that this baby will even be exposed. If they did instant GBS tests before birth that would be different.

The Cochrane reviews find no conclusive evidence that antibotics work.
    http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD007467/intrapartum-antibiotics-for-known-maternal-group-b-streptococcal-colonization

I can't link the study I read where a hospital was testing they stopped testing and then went back to testing. The number of babies that became sick or died was not affected by testing.

There is no way to know if you have a GBS colonozation on that day, you don't know if your baby is exposed, antiboitics will expose your child for at least 3 months to a weekened immune system, almost guarantees thrush so breastfeeding is difficult to impossible, and breastfeeding is the only place your tiny baby can get good bugs from.

I don't take antibotic usage lightly. From time I can remember I have had antibiotics no more than 3 times. Super nasties come from overusage of antibiotics.

Quoting anxiousschk:

I dehydrate pretty easily, so I don't know that I will be avoiding the IV.    My dehydration was an issue with my first birth and that was a C-section, with IV fluids.

I'm curious about the GBS...is that short for group B strep?  Why do you not want that test?  

• Rayawni
    by Rayawni
    October 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    Lol, I don't know how it is at that hospital but we certainly never force a mom into an epidural. We also have moms just have a hep well and not have fluids running. You also don't have to be strapped to the bed. We have wireless monitoring now or we do Doppler.

Quoting gumeshoe:

If you go by their plan you probably won't have an option other than getting an epidural. Tie you down, take away your coping mechanisms and see how many have epis that didn't plan on it. I don't cope with pain by laying on my back with an IV causeing my swelling to be worse and CFM that doesn't improve outcomes.

When they make the plan not the parents using informed consent, the hospital should be held responsble for the outcome. If you allow the parents to choose then it is not their fault. Bully and strangle people into doing it your way, then anything is wrong is your fault. EVEN IF THEY SIGNED A CONSENT FORM, it is the hospitals fault in those circumstances.

They don't have to take the baby anywhere to work on him. He has a life support that has worked for 9 months. Cut that and you are making things more difficult for my baby and who ever is working on him.

Quoting Rayawni:

I think that statement more pertains to people who have epidurals And don't have the feeling that its time to push. When moms don't have an epidural I certainly let them tell me what they need. If a baby comes out blue and unresponsive and needs resuscitation, baby can't be put on moms chest. If baby comes out and is vigorous, then yes it's fine to go up on moms chest. Most babies to right to moms tummy unless there is meconium, etc. the problem nowadays is all the litigation hospitals are dealing with so they have to have policies in place to protect themselves. It's sad but true.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Vaginal Delivery. When your cervix is fully dilated you WILL BE INSTRUCTED to start pushing....If the baby appears healthy and is breathing well, he may be placed on your stomach.

I hate this one the most.  Forced pushing is bad.  They can screw themselves-really.

eye rolling   banging head into wall

• Lena-Loo
    October 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    If you dont want a hospital experience deliver at home. Simple as that. They do things a certain for a reason so if you don't like don't go there.
  • MommyRJ
    by MommyRJ
    October 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    Wow. My first hospital was awesome.
    And my 2nd hospital in a different state was like that.. Well tried. Although I had a scheduled csection. But I went for a tour and saw all this and told them no. I was blunt. Then told my doctor hell no and they went with it. I think if you voice your wishes and concerns in a positive nice manner it will all go your way.
  • toria2316
    October 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Det? What hospital are you going to?

Quoting gumeshoe:

There is another and it is pretty much the same. In trying to get you in line. Automate your birthing process. Yeah I got an idea, we can let Detroit automate the process for us to get us pregger women in and out in a hurry.

I think maybe they just tell you this silliness to try to get you in line, but they stop when they see you are serious and not going along.

But again my Dr has tolerated the things I have already said no to in good stride. Dr's at the other hospital don't tolerate no I'm not going the gbs test for you. I will wait and see. Just like he thinks I should be 42 weeks and I go with the 39 because that is what seems to make the most sense. If I had done the gbs test at his 36 weeks when it was offered that would have been 6 weeks ago. Woefully out of date info. Since that changes constantly. Nurse today gave me more of an issue over it, saying even if you don't do the antibiotics she suggested that I do the test so I would have better info to watch my baby so if he got sick in 2 days they would know what it was to treat it instantly. But she was a bit negative in her approach to me, the PA at the Dr's office knows that automatic IV antibiotics has a poor treatment rate and acknowledged it to me, the nurse swore that was not true.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Yuck. Is that hospital your only option? I'm planning to be at mine as little as possible - labor at home, birth there, spend one night and go home. Assuming baby and I are both fine, of course. Things would NOT go well for me at that hospital! Lol

• norahsmommy
    October 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    Holy crap. I would be a bad patient. There is no way baby would leave my room, period. I'd stay awake the entire time I was there if I had to and badger everyone on staff to leave. I would only sign consent forms after I had crossed out parts I did not agree with and write in the things I would do of they weren't on it. I would consent to a hep lock but not hook up to an iv and I'd wear the gown but I would not stay in bed. I'd allow one cervical check at admittance but no others until I felt like pushing or maybe not at all. My hospital was pretty good. They only thing I hated was they would let mom sign out at any time AMA and any time after 24 hours with doc permission but a pedi had to sign off on the baby or you can't take baby home. They had a mandatory 48 hour stay for baby. Moms and dads couldnt sign baby out at all unless a pedi had already signed off. So of course I had to stay 48 hours too.
  • gumeshoe
    October 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I would honestly love that. But its illegal to do in this state and have help. Also hubby would die of a heart attack.

Informed consent applies to any hospital experience. Regardless if it is birth or cancer. 

I don't have the right to informed consent because the hospital wants their assembly line process and for me to fit in their box? Births are never the same twice for the same mother. There are laws that protect my informed consent. It violates medicaid/medicare guidelines and the Emergency Treatment and Advanced Labor Act. You don't even have to have medicaid/medicare to make a complaint. If that hospital takes either, they have to allow informed consent of the patient. They do things their way because most time no one challenges them.

I should not have to remind a hospital that informed consent applies to births as well as any other issue someone shows up for. Everyone has the right to be RESPECTED. There is no loophole of oh its a birth who cares if we have to respect a birthing mother.

Quoting Lena-Loo:

If you dont want a hospital experience deliver at home. Simple as that. They do things a certain for a reason so if you don't like don't go there.

• gumeshoe
    October 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I know there have to be women that have told them were to shove it before. I won't be the 1st or last.

Informed consent will brought up once I arrive for real, not for random weekend NST. I like sneaking in under the radar. I don't give advanced warning. I plan on arriving late in the game anyway. Really why wait around a hospital, when you could have just been at home.

Quoting MommyRJ:

Wow. My first hospital was awesome.
    And my 2nd hospital in a different state was like that.. Well tried. Although I had a scheduled csection. But I went for a tour and saw all this and told them no. I was blunt. Then told my doctor hell no and they went with it. I think if you voice your wishes and concerns in a positive nice manner it will all go your way.

• Oceana09
    October 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I don't know where the heck you live, but where I delivered my daughter, the nursery doesn't keep your child AT ALL unless you request it or the baby is having difficulties. They say that the baby needs to be with its mother at ALL times, not just while she is awake.

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN