Nicole_H.
Advice For a First-Time Mom
October 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Since sharing the news that we are expecting our first bundle of joy, we have received numerous snippets of "advice" from almost everyone that has found out.  The advice has started to consume a lot of our conversations with people and it actually has become quite interesting what some people have shared with us.  I know that pregnancy and especially delivery is a tough thing to go through.  Your body is doing the most amazing thing on this earth - nurturing, growing and aiding in the development of another human being.  The sheer thought of what is actually happening inside my body is mind boggling.  While trying to come to terms with these changes in my life and in my body, I realize that I now have more questions (and am equally more curious) than ever.

Over the years, I have asked many of my friends and family tons of questions while they were pregnant.  I am one that loves to listen to people stories and if I can take any lesson or useful snippet away from them - I feel I am better for it. The one problem with asking (or having so many people willingly "share") information is that you often get conflicting advice.  For example one person shared with us, "DO NOT read ‘What to Expect When You're Expecting'."  Another person was then quick to say, "Make sure you read ‘What to Expect When You're Expecting'!" Our gut (and curiosity) told us read it, so that was one of the first purchases we made when we found out I was expecting.

While all this advice is very information and useful - I am quick to remind myself that every woman is different AND every pregnancy is different.  I find myself praying that my delivery will be as easy as person A and hopefully not as bad as that person B. While we appreciate all of the advice given to us - I have to remind myself that my husband and I are going through this process together.  In the end, we have to do what WE feel is right for us. I know our experience and journey will be our own but it is helpful to know what little bumps to "expect" along the way.  This whole experience is magical and really wonderful and I am SO happy to be along for this ride.

If you could share anything at all about the pregnancy/motherhood/delivery with a first-time mom (me!): What is the one piece of advice you would provide?

photos © Nicole | www.bakingitonmyown.com

Replies

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    October 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I agree. It may seem that they are in diapers forever, but this will pass. It may seem that they won't fall asleep except in your arms, but this will pass also.

Quoting elasmimi:

my best advice is enjoy every minute of it. well, maybe not labor, but the pregnancy itself is a miracle. Children grow up so fast, don't wish their lives away, wanting them to hurry up and walk, talk, get potty trained. It will all happen and you will soon be saying where did all those years go?

• Nicole_H.
    October 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM

This is absolutely wonderful advice.  So many people tell you what you should and shouldn't do and I agree that you really need to figure it out for yourself to gauge your own threshold for situations that arise.  Thank you SO much for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Quoting tayanddyl:

The only advice I give is "if you think its important, it is" No matter what everybody else says if you think your baby's runny nose is important enough to call the doctor, do it!  As time passes you will learn when to call and when not to

• Nicole_H.
    October 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Great advice! Thanks for sharing!

Quoting daerca574:

get sleep while they are sleeping!  Eventually they quit taking naps!

• Nicole_H.
    October 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Great advice.  I always have regrets with the shopping thing... I've passed up way to many good things only to go back and find them gone!

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Yes I would say sleep when you can, if you see something you like buy it next time chances are they wont have it

• Nicole_H.
    October 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Great advice.  Thank you!

Quoting KaylaMillar:

Sleep while their sleeping. Take advantage of all the help you can get!

• Nicole_H.
    October 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Thank you for the great advice!

Quoting Leelee1008:

Being a parent is one of the scariest, craziest, messiest jobs there is, but its also wonderful. You really do NOT need to fallow the book to a T, parenting is a trial and error thing do what you feel comfortable with.

• Nicole_H.
    October 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I think this is such great advice.  I am going to make sure I try to allow myself to do this... it can be hard for me to allow others to help.  Thank you so much for sharing!

Quoting Rushn311:

Take help when it's offered

• Nicole_H.
    October 3, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words of advice.  I am going to be sure to savor every moment of it.  Time sure does fly now and I can only imagine how it will seem to multiply once the little one arrives.

Quoting elasmimi:

my best advice is enjoy every minute of it. well, maybe not labor, but the pregnancy itself is a miracle. Children grow up so fast, don't wish their lives away, wanting them to hurry up and walk, talk, get potty trained. It will all happen and you will soon be saying where did all those years go?

• Nicole_H.
    October 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I love this outlook!  Thank you so much for sharing your advice with me, I really appreciate it.

Quoting dusky_rose:

You don't have to be supermom when baby first gets here. The housework can wait, take care of yourself and baby first, and make sure you get rest when you can.

• Nicole_H.
    October 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Great advice.  Thank you so much for sharing!

Quoting meglennox:

go with your gut.  :)  your the mom, you are attuned the baby more so then someone else (dad not included) so if you think something is up with the baby, get it checked.

Previous Post Next Post
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts