Pregnancy

xxMichellexx
Test results and reactions by medical profession :(
June 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

A little bit of basic information... I am due to have baby number 5 in december and the pregnancy was a complete suprise and unplanned... I am 42 so am immediatly classed as 'high risk' anyway because of my age alone...

I had a hospital appointment on Tuesday, and the Midwife left me feeling guilty, upset, scared and very angry... I have a 1 in 11 chance of having a child with Down syndrome because the blood test came back positive.. The ultrasound was excellent and the fluid behind the neck was the right amount, so there is no definant diagnoses at the moment...

I was treated as if there has been a diagnosis and was told by the Midwife, to have an amniosentisies, and to terminate... She didnt even say 'if the amnio results come back for DS to terminate'...That i have 4 healthy children already and that given that i am 42, what happens when i am no longer here... She never asked me what i had planned to do, or what my thoughts were, she told me what i should do... Nor did she ask me what my hubby wanted me to do, or his thoughts either...

Hubby and i have decided that we are not going to have a amnio because of the risks, and that we will love our baby regardless... That we are leaving this in Gods hands and will work together and face whatever comes our way...

Medical professionals need to be more aware of how they approach telling a mother they are 'high risk' and give some hope, rather than making a desicion for them based on a blood test result,  even before there is an exact diagnosis...

Replies

• LiDoMama
    June 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    She is beautiful!
    OP-I am so sorry this happened to you. I would switch as well. God bless you and best of luck!!

Quoting husher:

I'm sorry for the "professionals" bad reaction to the possibility of having a baby with DS. Being a mother of a child with down syndrome I can tell you with early intervention and therapy the possibilities for our kiddos are better than they ever have been. My little girl will be 5 in July and will be heading to kindergarten in the fall. She requires a little more support than her typical peers, but you would be hard pressed to find a child that tries harder than she does.  I think you are making the right decision by not having the test and to love your baby as he/she is! 

• tiffs2009
    June 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I'm not 42, and had 5 healthy children at the time. When I was pregnant with my youngest (will bw 1 next month) he stopped growing at 18 weeks, Downs was one of the tests they ran. I got an amnio at 22 weeks and it was pos for Cystic Fibrosis. We were asked, very nicely and professonally I might add, if we wanted to terminate. Obviously we didnt but I was high risk and my docs were SUPER nice and many of thier patients were older. I dont see why your midwife would have been suck a bitch! I am sorry.

And just an FYI- my sister is a devote Catholic and her DH wants 12 kids.. they are in thier mid 30's and only have 4 kids. If you do that math she will be in her 40's and having kids and her midwife has no issues with it, as long as she stays healthy.

• yodamom7
    June 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I would try to find sommebody else, surley there is someone around who shres you viewpoint. I had a child at 42 and he is completely normal, so don't give up!  During a prvious pregnancy, I even had a Dr. say I should not have more children becouse of the high cost of college! It hasn't stopped them so far.

• BabieBeat
    June 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Bravo for you!!! Switch health care teams...xo

• wolfgirlbec
    July 6, 2012 at 1:27 AM
    That's terrible and,in my opinion,completely unprofessional as well! If it's any consolation,my mom had my fraternal twin brothers at the age of 43 & they were born complication-free & as healthy as can be! Btw,I just turned 42 myself! ;-) best of luck to you & i hope you find a kinder & far more competant midwife for your prenatal care & delivery! Hugs!

Pregnancy