Pregnancy

earthmama727
Can I stop gaining weight without harming my baby?
May 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I know I'm not supposed to "diet" as in depriving myself...   But I was already maybe 10-15 lbs over my ideal weight when I started, and have been gaining weight furiously this pregnancy... (Started about 140-  dr has me starting at 150, but he didn't weigh me till I was 8 wks and I know I had already gained at that point)  and I'm  now already 172lbs at 25 wks....    With my first I started at 130 and ended up 186...  I don't want to end up pushing 200! I'm only 5"2"!  Would it be ok if just through eating *lighter* and excersizing I just didn't gain anymore?  Or very little?

Replies

• Duquesne
    May 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    Eating healthier is key. And exercise (as long as you're not starting from scratch and having to work "really hard."). Walking, biking, swimming, yoga are all great.
  • kris0921
    May 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

If your worried about what your eating and gaining weight, I would look up the Gestational Diabetes Menu just for healthier choices to add in. Also I gained about 40lbs with my son and I only want to gain 20lbs with this one. I am doing great so far (started 163 now 21wks 171), but I stay on my feet at work alot, then come home and am on my feet with my son, and I also go for walks in the evenings with my husband. The only time I get off my feet is on the weekends, but even then I swim and go to the park with my son.

• LilSarahgirl
    May 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    Well it sounds like you are on the right track by recognizing that you need to make some changes. You'll probably still gain some considering that your baby is only a pound or so at this point and he or she will gain another 6 or 7 pounds. However, you can make changes to keep your weight gain gradual and minimal. I've been walking a mile 3 or 4 times a week. I've been eating a ton because I'm starving but I'm tryi g to snack on fruit, nuts, and other healthy things. Good luck
    Mama!
  • earthmama727
    May 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I'm on my feet all day at work too! I think that's half my problem. By the time I get home I'm already exhausted and have to really push myself to work out at all.  And in my first trimester I was waking up ridiculously early for work, then coming home as my DH left to be the only one caring for our preschooler who refuses to nap... So I was relying too heavily on convenience foods and not excersizing...   

Trying to take evening walks now on a daily basis and go to yoga when I can...    And need to just cut out all sugary junk too... I didn't think I was over duing it, but according to my gain, i must be!

Quoting kris0921:

If your worried about what your eating and gaining weight, I would look up the Gestational Diabetes Menu just for healthier choices to add in. Also I gained about 40lbs with my son and I only want to gain 20lbs with this one. I am doing great so far (started 163 now 21wks 171), but I stay on my feet at work alot, then come home and am on my feet with my son, and I also go for walks in the evenings with my husband. The only time I get off my feet is on the weekends, but even then I swim and go to the park with my son.

• bri2011
    by bri2011
    May 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    Eat plenty of fruits and veggies. Light excercise and drink mainly water.)
  • kmr1217
    by kmr1217
    May 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I'm 34 weeks and haven't had much of an appetite this pregnancy.  When I do eat, it's mostly fruit, smoothies and cereal.  If you keep it healthy it can definitely be done.  I have only gained about 12 pounds and it's due to not craving unhealthy things.

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    May 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

eating habits are what is going to need to change... with DS1 I ate a lot of things that I probably shouldn't have and gained 17 pounds...this time around I ate a lot healthier even though I gave in to my cravings most of the time and LOST 15 pounds...he was born perfectly healthy at 7 lbs, that was 9 weeks ago.

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    May 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

oh and instead of eating 3 meals and snacks I just ate 6 small meals instead and didn't pack on the pounds

• MWate
    by MWate
    May 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM

You don't want to diet, but you do want to eat healthy. Just doing that will go a long way to slowing down the weight gain. Fight the sugar urges! If you are a pop drinker (like I was) cut that down or completely out. You could start eating more like a gestational diabetic, which I dealt with and then was a type 2 with my last pregnancy, and cut way down on carbs but keep your good lean proteins. Just make sure your pregnancy diet is a healthy one

• pacificamom
    May 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Quoting Duquesne:

Eating healthier is key. And exercise (as long as you're not starting from scratch and having to work "really hard."). Walking, biking, swimming, yoga are all great.

Pregnancy