Pregnancy

Featured Posts
earthmama727
Can I stop gaining weight without harming my baby?
May 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I know I'm not supposed to "diet" as in depriving myself...   But I was already maybe 10-15 lbs over my ideal weight when I started, and have been gaining weight furiously this pregnancy... (Started about 140-  dr has me starting at 150, but he didn't weigh me till I was 8 wks and I know I had already gained at that point)  and I'm  now already 172lbs at 25 wks....    With my first I started at 130 and ended up 186...  I don't want to end up pushing 200! I'm only 5"2"!  Would it be ok if just through eating *lighter* and excersizing I just didn't gain anymore?  Or very little?

Replies

• Duquesne
    May 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    Eating healthier is key. And exercise (as long as you're not starting from scratch and having to work "really hard."). Walking, biking, swimming, yoga are all great.
  • kris0921
    May 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

If your worried about what your eating and gaining weight, I would look up the Gestational Diabetes Menu just for healthier choices to add in. Also I gained about 40lbs with my son and I only want to gain 20lbs with this one. I am doing great so far (started 163 now 21wks 171), but I stay on my feet at work alot, then come home and am on my feet with my son, and I also go for walks in the evenings with my husband. The only time I get off my feet is on the weekends, but even then I swim and go to the park with my son.

• LilSarahgirl
    May 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    Well it sounds like you are on the right track by recognizing that you need to make some changes. You'll probably still gain some considering that your baby is only a pound or so at this point and he or she will gain another 6 or 7 pounds. However, you can make changes to keep your weight gain gradual and minimal. I've been walking a mile 3 or 4 times a week. I've been eating a ton because I'm starving but I'm tryi g to snack on fruit, nuts, and other healthy things. Good luck
    Mama!
  • earthmama727
    May 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I'm on my feet all day at work too! I think that's half my problem. By the time I get home I'm already exhausted and have to really push myself to work out at all.  And in my first trimester I was waking up ridiculously early for work, then coming home as my DH left to be the only one caring for our preschooler who refuses to nap... So I was relying too heavily on convenience foods and not excersizing...   

Trying to take evening walks now on a daily basis and go to yoga when I can...    And need to just cut out all sugary junk too... I didn't think I was over duing it, but according to my gain, i must be!

Quoting kris0921:

If your worried about what your eating and gaining weight, I would look up the Gestational Diabetes Menu just for healthier choices to add in. Also I gained about 40lbs with my son and I only want to gain 20lbs with this one. I am doing great so far (started 163 now 21wks 171), but I stay on my feet at work alot, then come home and am on my feet with my son, and I also go for walks in the evenings with my husband. The only time I get off my feet is on the weekends, but even then I swim and go to the park with my son.

• bri2011
    by bri2011
    May 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    Eat plenty of fruits and veggies. Light excercise and drink mainly water.)
  • kmr1217
    by kmr1217
    May 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I'm 34 weeks and haven't had much of an appetite this pregnancy.  When I do eat, it's mostly fruit, smoothies and cereal.  If you keep it healthy it can definitely be done.  I have only gained about 12 pounds and it's due to not craving unhealthy things.

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    May 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

eating habits are what is going to need to change... with DS1 I ate a lot of things that I probably shouldn't have and gained 17 pounds...this time around I ate a lot healthier even though I gave in to my cravings most of the time and LOST 15 pounds...he was born perfectly healthy at 7 lbs, that was 9 weeks ago.

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    May 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

oh and instead of eating 3 meals and snacks I just ate 6 small meals instead and didn't pack on the pounds

• MWate
    by MWate
    May 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM

You don't want to diet, but you do want to eat healthy. Just doing that will go a long way to slowing down the weight gain. Fight the sugar urges! If you are a pop drinker (like I was) cut that down or completely out. You could start eating more like a gestational diabetic, which I dealt with and then was a type 2 with my last pregnancy, and cut way down on carbs but keep your good lean proteins. Just make sure your pregnancy diet is a healthy one

• pacificamom
    May 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Quoting Duquesne:

Eating healthier is key. And exercise (as long as you're not starting from scratch and having to work "really hard."). Walking, biking, swimming, yoga are all great.

Pregnancy

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN