SexyCocoaMama
Mid Wives
April 24, 2007 at 7:11 PM
Okay, this is like my 4th post in this room today, but i had a whole lisy of questions that i forgot by the time i got home from work, and they're coming back to me one by one :D I would really like to try a mid wife for this birth.  My hospital has midwives so i can still deliver in the hospital in case something goes wrong.  I haven't many bad things about midwives but on that same note I'm not sure what exactly they do and what it's like delivering with one instead of a doctor.  I absolutely HATED the doctor i had when i delivered my daughter.  Did anyone else deliver using a midwife instead of a doctor, and if so, how was the experience?  Would you do it again and do you recommend it?

Replies

• riotgrrl
    April 25, 2007 at 9:48 AM
    I had a doctor for my first birth and midwives for my second and third. I would definitely reccomend a midwife. They just have a whole different way of approaching pregnancy and the birth experience that's just so much more postive. And also much more focused on what you want your birth to be like and trusting your own instincts. Midwives tend to view pregnancy and childbirth primarily as a transformative, life-changing experience with medical aspects to it, rather than a medical condition that also happens to change your life a bit. My midwives also had an OB backup in case there were complications or whatever so I never felt like I was shorting myself of all of the available medical options by choosing a midwife. Also check with the particular midwife/midwives to make sure that their views on inducing labor, pain medication, etc are in line with your own. Midwives can really vary on those kinds of issues.
  • SexyCocoaMama
    April 25, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Quoting riotgrrl:

I had a doctor for my first birth and midwives for my second and third. I would definitely reccomend a midwife. They just have a whole different way of approaching pregnancy and the birth experience that's just so much more postive. And also much more focused on what you want your birth to be like and trusting your own instincts. Midwives tend to view pregnancy and childbirth primarily as a transformative, life-changing experience with medical aspects to it, rather than a medical condition that also happens to change your life a bit. My midwives also had an OB backup in case there were complications or whatever so I never felt like I was shorting myself of all of the available medical options by choosing a midwife. Also check with the particular midwife/midwives to make sure that their views on inducing labor, pain medication, etc are in line with your own. Midwives can really vary on those kinds of issues.
    Thanks, that makes me feel alot better about deciding to go with a midwife.
  • im_that_gurl511
    April 25, 2007 at 11:18 PM
    I chose a mid wife this time around also. My reason for wanting a mid wife is because I feel like Drs no matter how good they are treat us like a drive thru. When I had my 3rd my water broke on its own I was progressing fine (2 cm in 2 hours) and they basically forced pitocin on me. I dont have a problem with pitocin if its needed, but I didnt feel I needed it. In my opinion they just thought this is her 3rd kid give her some pitocin and we can have the bed ready in 3 hours for someone else. I didnt like being treated like that. My midwife that I have this time knows that I may or may not want drugs I have done it both ways and it just depends on the labor for me. She also knows my standing on pitocin and I have talked to her about the fears I have. She just seems to take more time and care a little more then most Drs do.
  • telecomgirl
    April 25, 2007 at 11:24 PM
    I LOVED using a midwife for my son. I felt like I wasn't just another "patient"...that I was important, and my pregnancy mattered. She was by my side the whole labor, and delivered my son...she left my side only to use the bathroom and take small breaks (17 hour labor)

When my son's heart rate dropped, she called the ob/gyn that was on-call for the day and the ob/gyn came in to observe in case a c-section was necessary. Nothing bad happened, in fact she kept me from having a c-section by talking me through the process and helping stretch the area - he was born without a problem! :)

Anyhow hope this story helps you decide...good luck with your decision :)

~Rachel

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts