Babies

monkeytoez06
what to do?
December 5, 2008 at 4:52 PM

OK ladies my oldest son is two and i thought it would be nice to start doing some arts and crafts with him..since i love to do them. well he loves them...but every time we are done with our project he screams and throws the biggest fit ever!!! he wants all his supplies all out at once and never wants to put them up.. his fits will last forever and nothing will calm him until he decides he is done...( this is the only time he throws a fit like this!!) i don't want to stop doing projects with him ...i think we just need to find a less stressful way of doing them, any advice?? thanks ladies!!

Replies

• aarkat
    by aarkat
    December 5, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Before you sit down to craft, give him the game plan.  Tell him "we're going to make (this craft) and when we're finished we'll put away our supplies so we can ...."   Think of something rewarding for him to do afterwards (make cookies, have hot chocolate, go to the park?)  Use the reward for motivation to get him to put away crafts.  Maybe if it's an activity that requires the same workspace (where crafts are done ) to be clean then he will see the benefit to cleaning. 

Maybe it would help to tell him that, when you've finished the craft, he gets 3 minutes of free craft play time before putting everything away.

• SRLPrincess1067
    December 5, 2008 at 5:25 PM

My 14mo old does that sometimes with music. She started at 11mos. I usually tell her that Mommy doesn't like to play with a baby girl who is throwing a fit, and I walk away. She doesn't like that too much, but she's starting to figure it out. She doesn't get my company when she's throwing a temper tantrum.

• AlexsMommy
    December 5, 2008 at 6:46 PM

A lot of moms would probably really disagree with your tactics there, but not me!  That's exactly what I do, and have done, with my now-4-year-old since she was old enough to want to be a "big girl" (somewhere around 18 months).  I've never "rewarded" a tantrum, in fact I tell her if she's going to cry she has to do it in her room and since she hates being "sent away" from me, she stops.  That's only when it's a temper tantrum, tho, not when she falls or something.  I'm raising a tough girl, not an emotional brick.

Quoting SRLPrincess1067:

My 14mo old does that sometimes with music. She started at 11mos. I usually tell her that Mommy doesn't like to play with a baby girl who is throwing a fit, and I walk away. She doesn't like that too much, but she's starting to figure it out. She doesn't get my company when she's throwing a temper tantrum.

• searl731
    December 6, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Same here Momma, My two year doesn't want to go to her room so she will stop immediately from throwing a tantrum. Nothing else works for us.

Susie

Quoting AlexsMommy:

A lot of moms would probably really disagree with your tactics there, but not me!  That's exactly what I do, and have done, with my now-4-year-old since she was old enough to want to be a "big girl" (somewhere around 18 months).  I've never "rewarded" a tantrum, in fact I tell her if she's going to cry she has to do it in her room and since she hates being "sent away" from me, she stops.  That's only when it's a temper tantrum, tho, not when she falls or something.  I'm raising a tough girl, not an emotional brick.

Quoting SRLPrincess1067:

Babies