Babies

JanTay
Make baby food?
by JanTay
December 3, 2008 at 8:02 PM

I have a 4 month old.  I know soon he will start on baby food.  Well I also have an Autistic 3 year old who I have on a strict Glutten Free Casien Free Diet.   So I have learned about all the harmful things that are in the foods we and our kids eat.  But I am wanting to make  my 4 months old food... Any advice?  I have been looking online and some say I will need a blender and a food processor.... some say this thing that babies r us sells... and some say to store the food just to use a ice tray... well I need some answers from you moms please!!  Thanks!

Replies

• aarkat
    by aarkat
    December 3, 2008 at 9:02 PM

My daughter is 4 months old also.  I'm getting (for christmas) an immersion blender that comes with a chopper and whisk attachment.  For my son (who's almost 4) I used a hand crank food mill, which worked, but I think the immersion blender would make things much faster and easier.

KitchenAid® Immersion Hand Blender with Chopper
    More Colors Available

• jen1226
    by jen1226
    December 3, 2008 at 9:05 PM

I NEVER considered making my own baby food...until I realized just how easy it was!  Basically, you can use either a food processor or a blender, whichever you have, but a blender usually can get it a little smoother.  All you do to make baby food is cook/steam/bake the food, puree it, and then I freeze it in ice cube trays.  That way I know each cube is 1oz.  I just pop them out and keep them in a Ziploc bag in the freezer.  It's waaaayy cheaper too!  Here's a website that I use I thought was pretty helpful..

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

• beanerbecky
    December 3, 2008 at 9:08 PM

I used a blender at first to puree it but then I got a magic bullet and that is way easier to clean up. Almost everything has to be cooked first except for bananas and avocado I think. Then you puree it with water or breastmilk. I use ice cube trays to freeze them and then move the cubes to a ziplock bag. I only make fruits and veggies. I buy cereal. My dd doesn't like much food so I kinda got discouraged with making it and started buying some things.

• BrocksMommy514
    December 3, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I use a food processor, store the food in small containers (about 2 days worth of food) in the freezer. Just take one out each evening so it will be thawed for the next day. The only foods that I cook/boil is yams or anything hard that needs softening. Apples, pears, & bananas can just be peeled & processed (be sure to peel thoroughly due to choking hazard). Cooking food above 118 degrees can kill all the enzymes that are needed.  I thought it would be difficult, but it's not at all, and you have the satisfaction of knowing exactly what your baby is eating.

ORGANIC ALL THE WAY.

• carr528
    by carr528
    December 3, 2008 at 10:00 PM

I made all mine for my youngest.  We just used a baby food grinder.  I would roast a sweet potato, put it in the fridge, and then grind up what we needed just before he ate.

Here's a great site for recipes:

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

• Chele1313
    December 4, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Making your own baby food is so very easy and rewarding....i love the website Wholesome Baby Food.com

I got the book super baby food, but they are strict vegans in that book and really condone the use of meat, i am ok with eating meat,  and some of things although i know they would be very nutritious for may baby seemed a lil left wing for me, but it did give me a great jumping point.

Ice cube trays are the best thing to store/freeze in, don't waste your money on expensive storage things and if you have a friend who is using jars, ask them for their old jars, then wash them well and use.  You can even drop spoonfuls of food onto cookie sheets let freeze and then put in baggies in your freezer.  My son is a year and i would do mass production baby food once a month, once he started solids i would use my food saver vac and put whole meals in a bag and seal it,t hen i would pull his meals out the night before to defrost and then it was all ready to go, protein, veggie and fruit all in one convenient bag...

I love watching my son try new food.  One of his favorites is garlic, the sprinkle stuff, i don't see any jar food giving your baby the chance to experiment with garlic...and nutmeg and cinnamon (although jarred does use that), and salsa, boy is a pit and eats everything but green beans.

I started out with a food processor but a blender really can work, now i am using one of those hand mixers that someone else recommended, even though he eats solids i stil like to give him homemade applesauce.  Apples with bananas, or peaches, the possibilities when you make your own are endless...

Good luck, just get alot of trays to freeze in.

• proudmommy0823
    December 5, 2008 at 11:27 AM

i just use a blender to make the food

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts