Babies

Liz0808
Eating too much??
by Liz0808
December 2, 2008 at 10:43 PM

So my son Max ate 12 ounces in one feeding today and he is only 3 1/2 months old. Is this a normal phase? It seems crazy to me. I don't know if it is just a growth spurt or what. He sleeps through the night but maybe he is just so hungry in the morning he eats a lot. Should I wake him up at night and feed him instead? He gets about half formula half breast milk most days. He has only done this a couple of times and it just worried me a little.

Replies

• SamanthaAgain
    December 2, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Wow, that is a lot for one feeding!  Did he spit up at all afterwards?  I would try to distract him after 6-8 oz, just see if he will forget about it for an hour or so to let his tummy rest.  Of course if he's still screaming for more then give it to him, but 12 oz is a lot for that little tummy!

• frndlyfn
    December 3, 2008 at 3:20 AM

Quoting SamanthaAgain:

Wow, that is a lot for one feeding!  Did he spit up at all afterwards?  I would try to distract him after 6-8 oz, just see if he will forget about it for an hour or so to let his tummy rest.  Of course if he's still screaming for more then give it to him, but 12 oz is a lot for that little tummy!

I agree and think it could possibly be a growth spurt also....Does he take a pacifier at all? he may just like the sucking feeling.

• MommyMissyfits
    December 4, 2008 at 2:10 AM

My Nicky starting getting that hungry about the same age. I got nervous and called the doc, she said if he is that hungry that is was okay to start cereal - by spoon not in a bottle - and we tried that during his really hungry feedings and it filled him to contentment, and now at almost 5 months he takes he 30 oz of milk daily and 5 oz of fruit and veg mixtures and 4 tablespoons of cereal a day .. an may be moving to more.. but he isnt "fat" just very tall a little chunk (most clothes long enough are too loose) But if your little one is taking ALOT at one feeding or another you can always call the doc.. they may suggest you start cereal, its not unheard of.

• nikki31
    by nikki31
    December 5, 2008 at 6:04 PM

OMG  you cant let him eat that much no matter what i was told by the doctor that there stomah at that age is only the size of there fist and you can stretch there tummies out..... start him out at 4 ounces and if he is still hungrey then make sure he burps and then give him one more ounce but thats it........some babys dont know when to stop eating so be careful....try feeding him 4 to 5 ounces every 3 to 4 hours and see if that works if not then cut his feedings to every 2 to 3 hours but never give a baby that gae 12 in ahalf ounces.......and always remember to burp him so he has more room to eat.....

• SRLPrincess1067
    December 5, 2008 at 6:25 PM

I think that it is a lot, but you should be fine. Usually babies who eat more than they can handle will spit it up, because that's a reflex. I agree with starting cereal. Making it really runny at first will make the transition easier, but after he gets used to it, start thickening it a little. Good luck!

• Danesmommy1
    December 5, 2008 at 7:50 PM

I disagree with one of the PPs.  Babies do know when to stop eating.  They eat until their satisified, that's it.  12oz does seem like a lot, was it just that one time or is it every bottle?  If you're uncomfortable with him eating that much, try giving him the pacifier.  Maybe he's just comforted by the sucking.

Elke

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts