Babies

Featured Posts
new_mommy_now
im at my breaking point......
December 2, 2008 at 5:57 PM

hello ladies. ok heres the problem. my 18 month old son Aiden started climbing out of his crib. so instead of lettin him do that and taking a chance of him getting hurt,  i just turned the room into his room. we have a 1 bedroom. but my hubby and i have been sleepin in the living room for the past 3-4 months anyway, cuz if we sleep in the room with our son he will wake up and not go back to sleep. ok so i i put a gate up at his door when he goes to take a nap or bedtime, so that if were sleepin he cant get out and hurt himself. the problem im having is that Aiden will refuse to go to sleep. we lay him down, read a book or turn on his baby music, and say our goodnights and leave the room with the door open. but he just gets out of bed and runs to the gate and starts yellin and crying. it takes about 2 hours to get him to stay in bed and fall asleep. and it never fails, around 2-3 in the morning he wakes up and repeats it. i have no clue as wut to do. please some1 help........

Replies

• startrace96
    December 2, 2008 at 11:42 PM

I hope no one bashes me for this but I'd say put him in the bed with you. Simply because you need sleep and so does he. He will only be little for so long and then will want his own room and bed.

Good Luckl

• mlc22mommy
    December 3, 2008 at 12:04 AM

This might seem crazy but the best thing you can do is to put him in his bed and as he get up just put him back in tell him it's bed time the first two time he gets up then after that don't say anything just keep putting him back in. He needs to understand that it is bed time and that you all need your sleep if you put him in your bed it going to be even more harder in the future. My sister went through the same problem and she just kept putting him back and he finally gave up. For a while it will seem like he won't but soon he will. just keep a bed time routine and put him in he own bed. It not an easy thing when there that age but you need to teach him that it is bed time and that everyone is going to bed. Hope this works Good luck.

• Hallmomma
    December 3, 2008 at 9:14 AM

your toddler sounds like mine did at 18 months.....My son climbed out of his crib so we put him in a toddler bed and then started our nights of spending the 2 hours of getting him to bed and then spending long hours in the middle of the night when he woke up....I will tell you, it will get better, but you need to stay and be consistent with him.  We started by reading so many books, rubbing his back so many times and eventually cutting back the time we spent for bedtime.  When he would come out after we put him to bed, we would just take him and put him back in bed and kept doing it until he was finally too tired to cry anymore and fell asleep.  He is 4 now and we have struggled with staying sleeping for some time now.  We used bribary for a long time, which really helped.  Just hang in there, and keep doing whatever it takes.  Some kids just need help sleeping.

• Nelliebelly13
    December 3, 2008 at 9:21 AM

I agree. My son started this at a year old. we did this and he now sleeps in his room through the night without any problems. we don't even have to ahve a gate or anything at his door. We just close his door. Every now and then he comes out of his room in the middle of the night. He doesn't go and play though he comes and climbs in bed with my husband and I. I took a little while, but it is so worth it. You might just need to let him cry it out. That is what I did. Eventually he would get tired and he would climb in bed and fall asleep.

Quoting mlc22mommy:

This might seem crazy but the best thing you can do is to put him in his bed and as he get up just put him back in tell him it's bed time the first two time he gets up then after that don't say anything just keep putting him back in. He needs to understand that it is bed time and that you all need your sleep if you put him in your bed it going to be even more harder in the future. My sister went through the same problem and she just kept putting him back and he finally gave up. For a while it will seem like he won't but soon he will. just keep a bed time routine and put him in he own bed. It not an easy thing when there that age but you need to teach him that it is bed time and that everyone is going to bed. Hope this works Good luck.

• MayaGsMommy
    December 3, 2008 at 10:07 AM

This is going to sound way harsh, and most of you mommies will probably think I'm the worst woman ever for doing this, but, here's what I did...

My DD is very active & is built like a linebacker. She climbed & roughhoused in her crib so much that she broke the side of her crib that was supposed to slide up & down, and I was really worried about her falling out and getting hurt, so at about 14 months, I got her the lowest toddler bed I could find. The day it was delivered to the house, I got her all excited, let her play with the box while DH put it together, and let her "help" me put the sheets on it. After bath, at bedtime, I laid her down and sat next to her bed on the floor. Every single time she sat up or tried to get out of bed, I scolded her. It took about 2.5 hours. And there was a lot of crying. That was about 9 months ago and she has NEVER gotten up in the middle of the night.

• new_mommy_now
    December 4, 2008 at 2:12 AM

wow, thanks ladies....... now i have 1 more question. how long will this go on for. i know every child is diff. but let me know how long it took for you.

• GodsAmiga
    December 4, 2008 at 2:15 AM

Agreed!

Quoting mlc22mommy:

• Danesmommy1
    December 4, 2008 at 9:21 AM

This is what I do with my son.  Just about every night he ends up in bed with us.  At 3 or 4 in the morning I'm just to tired to deal!  I know LAZY!  But, Dane goes right back to sleep as soon as he gets in bed.  He just wants some love and a good snuggle.  I enjoy having him in the bed and DH does too even though he might not be so fast to admit it!

Elke

Quoting startrace96:

I hope no one bashes me for this but I'd say put him in the bed with you. Simply because you need sleep and so does he. He will only be little for so long and then will want his own room and bed.

Good Luckl

• mlc22mommy
    December 4, 2008 at 11:20 AM

With my sisters kid it took about a month she just kept doing the same thing she set a bed time for him if she wanted him asleep by 8or 9 she would put him to bed about an hour an half befor then so he had time to fall asleep then she just had the same routine for him. the other thing that helped was she didn't let him nap after  a certain time so by then he was tired and ready for sleep.

• Hallmomma
    December 4, 2008 at 7:24 PM

It took about a month to get him to go to sleep, but the waking up in the night went from 18 months until about 3.5 on and off.  Now he is 4, sleeping in a room with his brother and since then has not woken up one time in the night!

Quoting new_mommy_now:

wow, thanks ladies....... now i have 1 more question. how long will this go on for. i know every child is diff. but let me know how long it took for you.

Babies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN