Featured Posts
oppsmommie
help, my 3 week old is backed up!!!
October 12, 2008 at 8:01 PM

I had to start supplementing my breast milk with formula because my milk is drying up...anyway

she has not gone poo since 2am and its now 6pm...which is very unusual for her she usually has a little poo every diaper change...anyway...

what do I do? I given her 2 baths today hoping to help her along and ease her tummy pain...

I left a message with the on call pediatrician...but its a non-profit clinic so I dont hold out much hope they will return my call..

I was thinking of getting baby suppositories anyone have any advice???

Replies

• hot_momma88
    October 12, 2008 at 8:20 PM

Is she acting like she's in pain? My LO had a BM is every other diaper the first couple weeks, now she's just over 4 months and she get one a day. Usually after all the meconium is gone, BMs will become less frequent. If she's not being unusually fussy, then I wouldn't worry. Don't give her any kind of baby laxative. She's way too young and that would definitely do a number on her little tummy.

If she is fussy, AND her belly feels hard, try laying her on her back and "bycicling" her legs, putting a little presure on her tummy- sometimes they need something to push against. If all else fails, you're going to have to go with anal stimulation. Put some lub, vasiline, on a thermomiter and just insert about a 1/2 into her bottom. It will help her relax and that's the first thing your pediatrition will tell you to try. Hope this was helpful, that's all I got.

• oppsmommie
    October 12, 2008 at 8:23 PM

okay...I will try that...yeah she has been SCREAMING all night and most of today...its so hard to see her in pain:(  haha I have to go buy a thermometer! i have the pacifier one...

• megabrande
    October 13, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Caro syrup! My baby was having horrible problems with this. She went a week at a time. A doctor told me 1 tbs of caro syrup for 4 oz bottle. Worked liek a charm. She would go within a couple hours but sometimes it would be the next day. You have to be very careful doing the thermometer trick because you can do a lot of damage. My Dr said if you do it too much they won't beable to go on their own without stimulation.

• PhotoMama2008
    October 13, 2008 at 3:12 PM

The thremometer trick works, but you must must must be extreemely careful.  Best to try to do while baby is sleeping so they dont move and wiggle around.

I gave my daughter 2 oz of plain water and that did the trick.  Remember, bottle fed babies have a BM less often than breast fed babies.  My daughter went 3 days w/out going, and the doctor said it was fine.

• LuckieLadie
    October 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I wouldn't recommend the thermo trick unless it has been more than 3 days but its your choice. I give my baby a little bottle of warm water and an oil massage after a warm bath when is been more than a day and it usually helps. Baby just has to get better at pushing it out, another month and it should be easier for her.

• KC102205
    October 15, 2008 at 7:11 PM

This sounds so familiar, doc told me a splash of prune juice in a bottle of warm water...also there is a drug out there that is safe for newborns, I use it when we are desperate and the prune juice doesn't work. Its called little tummy's from a company called little remedies, they are wonderful and work fast, I got mine at Babies R Us.  Good luck to you and try not to stress out the baby will too!

• lostmarbles0520
    October 15, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Honestly, it's probably the formula. My son is 11 wks, and is only FF. He poops once a day since he was born, sometimes every 36 hrs...try some gas drops, or taking her temp rectally if you think she's hurting, but it's probably just her body changing with the food change.

• HaileyInezMom
    October 15, 2008 at 7:17 PM

I did the syrup with my little one and it worked so well.

Quoting megabrande:

Caro syrup! My baby was having horrible problems with this. She went a week at a time. A doctor told me 1 tbs of caro syrup for 4 oz bottle. Worked liek a charm. She would go within a couple hours but sometimes it would be the next day. You have to be very careful doing the thermometer trick because you can do a lot of damage. My Dr said if you do it too much they won't beable to go on their own without stimulation.

• thekadysjr
    October 15, 2008 at 7:19 PM

My daughter was constantly as in infant. My Pediatrician said to give her a small amount of sugar and water in a bottle (1oz water and 1tsp sugar). It did the trick every time. We still do it for her when she gets backed up and she is know two.

• star23515
    October 15, 2008 at 7:40 PM

You can use a gooped up Q-tip instead of a thermometer

Quoting oppsmommie:

okay...I will try that...yeah she has been SCREAMING all night and most of today...its so hard to see her in pain:(  haha I have to go buy a thermometer! i have the pacifier one...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts